Votes: 31 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Besides the force fight between Qui Gon/Obi Won and Darth Maul…the entire film is complete shit.
True, but even that fight was boring because you weren't really emotionally involved. All the flipping also made previous confrontations (Obi Wan vs Vader!) look way too basic...

Everything, even the purest entities, in the SW universe has now been tainted with the stink of greed.
well, the Millenium Falcon, Han and Chewie haven't been... yet. Disney will change that though.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Didn't Disney make Pirates of the Caribbean (which was a good movie, and for an adult audience)? Disney can make good movies, it's really the director that makes it anyway.

You call those piles of crap good movies?

Yeah, if you're a teeny bopper.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
How can you possibly call it a "fan owned" universe after fans of the original series were forced to watch the the series go to shit, referring to the prequels. Not only that, they had to watch the rape (special editions) of the only 3 good movies of the series.

I'm sure if it was "fan owned" the prequels and special editions would be wiped out of existence, but no... they are reality. No matter how much you want them to go away, they are cannon.

By "fan owned" I guess I mean that in my head, the SW universe expands far beyond the films…and in many ways goes around the films as well.

At this point, SW is near lore-status. I've read fan fiction and thoughts on what the universe and extended history is…so it is much more than the films.

By saying this…don't get me wrong. I am no obsessed fanboy, I just enjoy the SW universe and find it to be a fun tale to read about. The movies are actually only a small part of it in my head.

A close example…Transformers. You have the toys, the 80's movie and the old cartoons. All of these things are ok, but the fan art/fiction is so much more…hell, even comics like the TF/GI Joe crossover were fun. I enjoy the universe of TF…The Bay abortion films do not even count in the universe (in my opinion). I refuse to let some hack and some shitty films sour my take on everything else that exists.

So…in my head…I took the very few plot lines form Ep I-III that are needed and simply flushed the rest of the shit.

In other words…in my mind, I have my own version of the SW universe…not simply what Lucas says should exist.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You call those piles of crap good movies?

Yeah, if you're a teeny bopper.
The first one was good (Curse of the Black Pearl). Not the rest of them, though.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Yes, new ownership... Disney.

Yes we do remember the classic trilogy. We also remember what happened to the classical trilogy... special editions. Everything, even the purest entities, in the SW universe has now been tainted with the stink of greed.

Star Wars nerds are like battered women who keep coming back to their abusive boyfriends.

"It'll be different this time... I promise"

I didn't say that they were guaranteed to be good I'm only saying they aren't guaranteed to be bad. Especially not based on how the prequels turned out. Those are different movies. None of them are called The Force Awakens. That movie hasn't come out it. When it does, we can cast judgment at that point.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Well... where are the funny versions of the second trailer?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor that Han Solo is going to die in Episode VII?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
A close example…Transformers. You have the toys, the 80's movie and the old cartoons. All of these things are ok, but the fan art/fiction is so much more…hell, even comics like the TF/GI Joe crossover were fun. I enjoy the universe of TF…The Bay abortion films do not even count in the universe (in my opinion). I refuse to let some hack and some shitty films sour my take on everything else that exists.

This isn't a good example. Lucas made sure that any official Star Wars fiction outside of the films would fit into continuity. As such, very few instances are out of continuity of the story. Transformers doesn't have just one, there are multiple different continuities... forget Japan trying to mash them all into one. The difference is that Lucas made Star Wars to tell a story and allowed that story to expand with the books, comics and video games. Hasbro makes Transformers to sell toys. The overall story takes a back seat and the franchise is constantly being rebooted.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
First of all, the SW franchise has been 'tainted with greed' since the summer of 1977, when it became this unexpected gargantuan phenomenon (though film industry insiders had been predicting doom because of all the production woes). No one holds a gun to your head to buy any of the merchandise.

The prequels are bad because no one else could realistically approach George and tell him his scripts were weak. He'd become so synonymous with Star Wars, and so overwhelmingly THE FACE of the franchise, that he had absolutely no realistic mechanism for feedback. Partly his own hubris, partly his own lifelong battle to feel 'in control' of his work. Whatever the cause, it created the perfect storm for mediocrity. He had broken with the producer of Episodes IV and V (Gary Kurtz) over the direction he wanted for ROTJ in 1982. Kurtz thought it a mistake to employ a second Death Star in the film, and was not enamored of what he called 'the teddy bear picnic' and overly happy ending. This presaged everything else that would come to pass in an even less satisfying fashion with the storytelling in the prequels.

I think everyone involved wants TFA to be special, and I know for damn sure that JJ feels enormous pressure to deliver something worthy of the classic trilogy, as does Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) who is writing and directing Episode VIII. I'm willing to give this a chance, because all of the signs are positive. They want to deliver a tangible world, have some great talent in tow, and they understand what went wrong with Ep. I-III.

Calling it a giant commercial enterprise solely because of Disney's involvement is laughable, though. It's been that way for 38 years since the summer of '77.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
First of all, the SW franchise has been 'tainted with greed' since the summer of 1977, when it became this unexpected gargantuan phenomenon (though film industry insiders had been predicting doom because of all the production woes). No one holds a gun to your head to buy any of the merchandise.

The prequels are bad because no one else could realistically approach George and tell him his scripts were weak. He'd become so synonymous with Star Wars, and so overwhelmingly THE FACE of the franchise, that he had absolutely no realistic mechanism for feedback. Partly his own hubris, partly his own lifelong battle to feel 'in control' of his work. Whatever the cause, it created the perfect storm for mediocrity. He had broken with the producer of Episodes IV and V (Gary Kurtz) over the direction he wanted for ROTJ in 1982. Kurtz thought it a mistake to employ a second Death Star in the film, and was not enamored of what he called 'the teddy bear picnic' and overly happy ending. This presaged everything else that would come to pass in an even less satisfying fashion with the storytelling in the prequels.

I think everyone involved wants TFA to be special, and I know for damn sure that JJ feels enormous pressure to deliver something worthy of the classic trilogy, as does Rian Johnson (Brick, Looper) who is writing and directing Episode VIII. I'm willing to give this a chance, because all of the signs are positive. They want to deliver a tangible world, have some great talent in tow, and they understand what went wrong with Ep. I-III.

Calling it a giant commercial enterprise solely because of Disney's involvement is laughable, though. It's been that way for 38 years since the summer of '77.

I agree with all of this...SW has always been a total-media franchise and is possibly one of the first mega-franchises. Lucas would have put the SW logo on a fucking condom in 1978 if the $$ was right. This is why the Disney thing doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Second, Lucas has never been a great director or storyteller...the was a great visionary and "ground-layer" maker. He was always obsessed with form over function and other people had to step in to make sure it wasn't all show and no go. With Ep I-III, there was non of these checks-and-balances going on. It was him...and his million of $$...and his ego that he could do it all. Too much obsessing over CG combined with shitty storytelling and it made for a trainwreck. Ep IV-Vi didn't belong lock-stock and barrel to Lucas like Ep I-III did...that was a HUGE part of the problem with the new films.

I am sure this will not happen this time, the issue (lucas) is gone. Disney is a company...a BIG fucking company. Abrams is not the "one and only" like Lucas was...there are people looking over his (and every other) shoulder at all time...FAR more QC is going into this...I assure you.

Now...with that said, this is not a guarantee of a good product. Disney is political...there's a solid chance they'll try to shoe some bullshit into this plot like "Girls are heroes too!!! *smile, wink, thumbs up*" I wouldn't be shocked if future SW films had an all minority, all women cast with some "earth friendly awareness" chucked in for the fuck of it.

But time will tell. I will say this...this is 100% a different environment than what produced Ep I-III.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I grew up on the CBS Video VHS editions, saw the SE's and prequels when they came out in theaters. I'll see this day one, just like the rest of the fan boys.

I thought it was bullshit when they said that Harrison Ford was going to be in it. When I saw him in the trailer, I had a literal "Holy shit" moment. He looks like "dramatic actor Harrison Ford," and not "Deckard/Indy/Solo Harrison Ford." Rough to watch.

I like how a majority of the special effects are going to be practical. Hopefully that means no lens flare, unlike the last Star Trek movie.

Can't wait for this. Star Wars > Star Trek (fucking deal with it), but I enjoyed the ST movies enough to give Abrams a chance with this and give him my money.

If this movie sucks, the fallout among the fan boys will be EPIC.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I grew up on the CBS Video VHS editions, saw the SE's and prequels when they came out in theaters. I'll see this day one, just like the rest of the fan boys.

I thought it was bullshit when they said that Harrison Ford was going to be in it. When I saw him in the trailer, I had a literal "Holy shit" moment. He looks like "dramatic actor Harrison Ford," and not "Deckard/Indy/Solo Harrison Ford." Rough to watch.

I like how a majority of the special effects are going to be practical. Hopefully that means no lens flare, unlike the last Star Trek movie.

Can't wait for this. Star Wars > Star Trek (fucking deal with it), but I enjoyed the ST movies enough to give Abrams a chance with this and give him my money.

If this movie sucks, the fallout among the fan boys will be EPIC.

Again...I agree with all of this. I hope Harrison's part is smaller and final. I fully understand why the original cast has to be this one...but I hope that VIII/IX doesn't include him.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It was the job of Lucas Licensing, but its pretty much out the window now that Disney is running the show.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocron
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

You didn't even read what you linked:

In the introduction to the 1994 printing of Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Lucas offered his view on the evolution of the Star Wars saga:

After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
You didn't even read what you linked:

Sure I did. There are 2 sets of continuities.
1. The official one which is just the stuff Lucas directly worked with.
2. The EU which is the Lucas stuff, plus the stuff handled by the Holocron

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

Everything is relative.

By the time Jedi came out, it was clear that the movie was geared toward a wider demographic (Ewoks). This was not the case for New Hope or Empire.

The prequels upped the ante to higher degree. Such that they relied solely on the franchise name to make money, with a completely shitty product. Merchandising up the fucking ass, in full spades for every type of 'Murican. They shat out anything for the sake of big money.

Now Disney, the epitome of everything wrong with entertainment, is involved. Disney is one big money machine. If you don't see the potential for hard failure, then you're just dense.

Last edited: