Phantasy Star Portable demo out on PSN!

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Well, I logged on to the PS store hoping to find the Resistance Retribution demo, but this was a nice surprise. The store website just got updated over the last few hours as I was checking throughout the day.

I'm downloading it now...can't wait!

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
i've been playing the JPN game, but I can't wait until the US version comes out....any idea when that is?

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
US version is March 3rd.

I'm going to go download the demo shortly. Thanks for the heads up.

dark penguin

US version is March 3rd.

I'm going to go download the demo shortly. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem! I'm pretty excited about this game, actually. I skipped PSU(didn't pick it up at launch, and months later it felt like it was too late to get involved), but have been jonesing for some Phantasy Star action lately. This should definitely fill the void.

Logicdustbin

Sieger's Squire
I think the gameplay is perfect for the PSP.

I wonder if they will get the "adhoc to online through the PS3" up and running for the release of this game...

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I think the gameplay is perfect for the PSP.

I wonder if they will get the "adhoc to online through the PS3" up and running for the release of this game...

If they don't, it shouldn't be too long.

I know another big release that will use that feature, and that's the new Monster Hunter release. I can't wait for that one..

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
If it plays like PSO, win, if it's plays like that dogshit of a game PSU, then epic fail.

I don't do anything other than play games on the PSP. I suppose you have to go through your PS3 to DL demo? Or can you access demos direct from the PSP? ANd I also bet it's JP store only too?

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
If it plays like PSO, win, if it's plays like that dogshit of a game PSU, then epic fail.

I don't do anything other than play games on the PSP. I suppose you have to go through your PS3 to DL demo? Or can you access demos direct from the PSP? ANd I also bet it's JP store only too?

Then don't bother, it's a direct port of PSU AOI with some tweaks for the PSP.

It's actually quite fun though, as AOI added a lot of cool stuff to PSU and made it a much better experience.

You have to download it from the Playstation Store, either on your PC or PS3 and then transfer it over to the PSP. It's pretty easy.

dark penguin

You have to download it from the Playstation Store, either on your PC or PS3 and then transfer it over to the PSP. It's pretty easy.

You can actually download it directly to your PSP if you have a recent firmware with the PS Store link in the X media bar.

You were saying this plays like PSU? I never played PSU, but this demo seems close enough to PSO in terms of core gameplay. Meaning, I can see myself dumping many hours into the actual release.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
PSU is actually a lot like PSO, they just modified some of the item and gameplay elements to try and make it more MMO-like.

A lot of people bagged on PSU in the beginning, and so did I (a little), but it's actually not a bad game. I think people were expecting PSO with better graphics. Also, Sega kind of fucked up the launch of the game by holding back online content that was on the game disk. There were planets you could visit and missions you could run in the single player game, but they were locked for the online portion. It pissed a lot of people off.

Getting back to PSPortable, I played an hour of it last night. It's quite fun. It's nearly 100% PSU, but with simplified lobbies and more of a story. It has all the extra elements in character creation that came with the AOI expansion pack.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this one, especially if I can get the guys at work into it.

dark penguin

PSU is actually a lot like PSO, they just modified some of the item and gameplay elements to try and make it more MMO-like.

A lot of people bagged on PSU in the beginning, and so did I (a little), but it's actually not a bad game. I think people were expecting PSO with better graphics. Also, Sega kind of fucked up the launch of the game by holding back online content that was on the game disk. There were planets you could visit and missions you could run in the single player game, but they were locked for the online portion. It pissed a lot of people off.

Getting back to PSPortable, I played an hour of it last night. It's quite fun. It's nearly 100% PSU, but with simplified lobbies and more of a story. It has all the extra elements in character creation that came with the AOI expansion pack.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with this one, especially if I can get the guys at work into it.

Sounds like I probably would have liked PSU. I spent some time levelling up last night. Apparently there are some decent rare drops in the demo...I wonder if you'll be able to use your demo character for the full game?

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Sounds like I probably would have liked PSU. I spent some time levelling up last night. Apparently there are some decent rare drops in the demo...I wonder if you'll be able to use your demo character for the full game?

Yes, you can import your trial version character to the full game.

I'm not sure, but I would guess you get to keep all your items and meseta.

dark penguin

Yes, you can import your trial version character to the full game.

I'm not sure, but I would guess you get to keep all your items and meseta.

Nice...guess I'll spend some time getting a leg up before the game actually comes out.

dark penguin

OK, I maxed out my character to level 20(max for the demo, anyway) and now I'm doing runs to collect rare items. Got a few "A" level drops in Plains Overlord, including some bizarre shit...a "Frying Pan Set" classed as an "A" level sword type which ends up being a dual wield pair of...yeah, frying pans. uh..LOL?

I'm going to get every last ounce of gameplay out of this before the actual release.
Probably the best dem can think of in recent memory.

OldSchoolGamer

Living teh 'Murican dream
I was playing this myself and I picked up an item that when equiped looks like a white mastersystem floating above you. No idea what it does or how to use it...looks neat though.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Ok, I've never played any version of PSO but I've always been curious. What can you guys tell me about this game? If I never played any others will I like it?

dark penguin

I was playing this myself and I picked up an item that when equiped looks like a white mastersystem floating above you. No idea what it does or how to use it...looks neat though.

One of the mags or whatever they call them now. You can channel the TECH skills through them(ie the "spells"), and some of them give stat upgrades. Basically a little helper bot.

dark penguin

Ok, I've never played any version of PSO but I've always been curious. What can you guys tell me about this game? If I never played any others will I like it?

Give it a shot. I mean, it's free, right? I wasn't sure whether I'd still like the old formula of hack/slash/grab rare items, but I'm enjoying just as much as I used to in the Dreamcast days.

A lot easier to get into than Monster Hunter, as far as I'm concerned.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
A lot easier to get into than Monster Hunter, as far as I'm concerned.

It's definitely easier to get into than Monster Hunter. I'm saying this as a huge MH fan, as I know that game can have a pretty intimidating learning curve/difficulty.

dark penguin

It's definitely easier to get into than Monster Hunter. I'm saying this as a huge MH fan, as I know that game can have a pretty intimidating learning curve/difficulty.

I picked up MHF2 recently and I'm finding it very hard to get into. I really want to like it, especially because it looks and controls pretty damn nicely for a PSP game, but as you were saying...the learning curve is pretty intense. It would probably help if I had some friends to play with via adhoc, but nobody I know likes this kind of stuff.

I think I'll just keep chipping away at it...and I probably give MHF Unite a shot when it comes out.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Monster Hunter is a tough sell for some people. I was not able to get my local friends into it. They were turned off by the difficulty and not willing to keep at it, which is a shame because it's a load of fun after you get past the first 10-20 hours of learning the game.

I've determined that I am never going to be able to sell people on the game. I'll just recommend it, let them try it, and see who gets hooked on their own.

I have been playing it less and less lately myself because I've reached the limits of my hunting skills solo. I know there are people that can hunt Monoblos and the like solo, and I'm just not one of them.

I have no problem taking down Gypceros, Khezu, Plesioth, Hermitaur/Cenataur, Blangonga and their variants. I can down Gravios because he's hella easy. Anything after that has proven too difficult thus far, so I really need other people to play with.

I am hoping the PSP to PS3 wifi connection works well for MHP Unite whenever that comes out!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Can I safely work under the assumption if I thought PSU was terrible then I'd hate this or no?

MuppetMaster

New Challenger
Been plugging away on this for a couple of days now; pretty sweet overall and easily worth a purchase on March 3rd.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I've raised two characters to 20/5, and deleted them both. I just made a new one last night. The level cap is killing me. I am actually more hyped for the release of this handheld port than a lot of AAA games coming soon to consoles!

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I've raised two characters to 20/5, and deleted them both. I just made a new one last night. The level cap is killing me. I am actually more hyped for the release of this handheld port than a lot of AAA games coming soon to consoles!

So what is the level cap in the retail version going to be? I am guessing this is still coming out in the next day or two?