Personal Electric Vehicle (PEV) Thread - Whatcha Got? [Electric Skateboard, E-Scooter, E-Bike, Segway, EUC, OneWheel, etc.]

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I know a few people on the site have e-bikes, anyone else have any other so-called personal electric vehicles?

I just got a One Wheel and it's a pretty good time. I do enjoy riding but I also enjoy not being at my house killing my brain and body watching YouTube and playing video games. Also helps I know a few ladies who have One Wheels as well (In my defense, I got a One Wheel before they did :emb: )

Electric Unicycles looking fucking crazy though. 30+ miles per hour, crazy range, and I've seen some dudes doing crazy stuff on them on BMX courses. OneWheel is pretty tame in comparison. While the best of the best can do tricks they're pretty much just for cruising.

I admit I probably look like a fat doofus riding mine, but the rest of the world can get fucked.

Anyway, what y'all got?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I want to unblock Silvie just for this thread.

You have an e-bike?

My interest in PEVs, as I alluded to in the drone thread, is that the technology is fascinating and maturing by the year.

I would absolutely use a PEV for a commute if I lived in a major metropolitan area. But I don’t, so trails and parks and goofing around the neighborhood for me.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was run/walking in the park last week and some guy in an electric unicycle went zooming past me....I was amazed by the speed, but that wasn't the interesting part. He was also juggling three balls while flying through the park on this thing.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
What's the laws on these things in the US? They're bogged down with all kinds of red tape here, you can't ride one on the pavement (sidewalk) so they're only legal on the road but they don't meet vehicle safety standards so you cant ride them on the road either. So that just leaves private property, unless you rent one from an approved PEV rental company, then suddenly you can ride them anywhere. So I've never actually ridden one.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What's the laws on these things in the US? They're bogged down with all kinds of red tape here, you can't ride one on the pavement (sidewalk) so they're only legal on the road but they don't meet vehicle safety standards so you cant ride them on the road either. So that just leaves private property, unless you rent one from an approved PEV rental company, then suddenly you can ride them anywhere. So I've never actually ridden one.

The red tape kinda makes sense. The alternative is what we have. people use them wherever they want as if they are a walking pedestrian, and they feel like they have the right of way in all scenarios.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I don't have one but there are public E-Scooters downtown and they're a legit problem. Gangs of drunk people and kids out late at night riding all sloppy and disorganized everywhere, it's dangerous as fuck. Plus people never seem to put them back, they just abandon them and throw them on the ground so every corner just has them strewn about. Adults treat them like those kids that just threw their bike in the driveway.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Welcome to the skateboarders dilemma.

If e-scooters still exist in 30 years maybe they’ll start building parks for them.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Australia and Austria have strict regulations on these things based on what I’ve been reading.

I think it was Austria where the OneWheel was banned on public property because it didn’t feature a mechanical break.

The Commercial E-Scooter rental business is definitely an issue since people can get them at any time and just behave like assholes on them and apprently the business model includes them being left wherever.

The people in to PEVs aren’t the assholes (usually.)

The points of contention in the USA I’ve been seeing are when PEVs are used on bike paths or other trails that usually would only have people walking or only occasionally riding.

Anyway I have been trying to be an ambassador for electric board sports. I usually have been getting at least one question from people on each ride. I pass people extremely slowly, announce myself when in doubt or depending on the situation just stop and yield.

I figure on the road I’ll act as a bike? But honestly I’ll probably ride sidewalk and yield to pedestrians. Road is sketchy AF depending lol.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Checked out two parks today. Straight up skateboard (and “skating device” bans, although one also banned bikes so I’m not too salty about that one.

I didn’t realize The scope of municipalities’ raging hardon hatred of skateboards.

One park only banned boards on the walking path. I may ride everywhere else in that park to spite them.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I didn’t realize The scope of municipalities’ raging hardon hatred of skateboards.
Yeah man. It was tough back in the day, getting chased constantly. They didn't start building skate parks here until after I had quit skating. Now there are like 5 within 20 min. of me.