Persona Rereleases (P5R, P4G, P3P) on Xbox, PC & PlayStation

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Yuss! Now I can recommend P5R to everyone regardless of platform (sans Switch).

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
What's the appeal of these games? Watched the trailer but don't see it. Gameplay is that good? I can barely stomach a JRPG story these days especially if it's centered around teen or young adult relational drama.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What's the appeal of these games? Watched the trailer but don't see it. Gameplay is that good? I can barely stomach a JRPG story these days especially if it's centered around teen or young adult relational drama.
I like the style of the games, they're well put together but yeah it's a teenage school drama. I can't really get into them either, especially at 120 hours minimum participation.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
During the 6th Generation I thought the same. I love the original Shin Megami Tensei games though. So I bought a Vita and Persona 4 Golden. Took some time but the game itself was one of the best JRPGs I played. Vita was worth it for P4 Golden alone. Still prefer the original SMT series but the Persona games are also great.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member

Persona 5 Royal was my first and only Persona game. I've tried to go back to play 4 Golden, but I can't get into the dungeon flow as P5R is definitely the most refined of the series thus far - by a fair margin imo.

The hook with these games are the ways that the story and your social interactions directly affect the mechanics of the game like stats, Personas to use, Persona abilities, etc. Rather than having a story that is just tacked on like most JRPGs to give you something to fight (read: grind) for, Persona integrates the plot and plot interactions beautifully into the actual mechanics. It's much, much more than a tacked on morality system like in Mass Effect.

P5R is LONG but each section of the game is a self contained chapter. You can think of the game as having 5 seasons of anime to watch and each "season" takes about 20 hours to complete. So, you could play through a chapter, beat a big boss, then even sit the game down for a month or two before diving back in when you have the itch again. One of the catch phrases of P5 is "Take Your Time." The developers know the game is big, so don't rush through it.

The story, music, and RPG mechanics all meld into a wild adventure with some of the best English voice acting and writing I've experienced in a video game. I resisted for years but was blown away when I dived into P5R last summer. It's not really about "teen antics." P5R is about social injustice and an alternate reality created by the dark desires of the human race. It's a story about the human psyche that explores it in a way that I've never seen before. I was enthralled from beginning to end.

It's not a perfect game, but I'd easily give it a 90/100. I'd say it's definitely in my top 5 RPGs of all time now and a top 20 game overall. It's also one of the most personally significant games I've ever played - the impact the story had on me was not expected but entirely welcome.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
PS5R is one of my all time favorite games, and I've never been into anime or teen drama style stuff. If you have any love for JRPGs at all, and even if you don't, it's a must play IMO. There's a reason it's almost universally lauded for being one of the best JRPGs, if not THE best of all time.

It's just so extremely well made that you can't help but love it and get completely immersed in the characters, story, and gameplay. Really love the music and graphical style on top of it. Very unique and something you won't find in any other game.

It IS a very, very long game, so expect it to rule your life for a week or three.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Persona 5 Royal Steam page is up:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I look forward to the censorship that awaits these re-releases.