PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I read a rumor on a Twitch stream that TO was going to look into updating the SSDS3 firmware after the Mode was released. Is there any truth to this? Fixing the in-game hooks to not bug out certain games would be great. Having to toggle your power switch on/off to get back to the menu suuuuucks.

oh man - I hope that's true

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I love this thing, but yeah... fix the in game trigger. Not having that is a huge miss.

Also, anybody have their systems hooked up to a scart switch experience issues with the SSDS3? Genesis and consolized MVS work with the switch just fine, and the Framemeister even detects that there is input coming from the PC Engine, but no picture. Have to connect the PC Engine to the Framemeister directly in order to play. Not a huge deal, but would be cool to not have to do that.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I love this thing, but yeah... fix the in game trigger. Not having that is a huge miss.

Also, anybody have their systems hooked up to a scart switch experience issues with the SSDS3? Genesis and consolized MVS work with the switch just fine, and the Framemeister even detects that there is input coming from the PC Engine, but no picture. Have to connect the PC Engine to the Framemeister directly in order to play. Not a huge deal, but would be cool to not have to do that.

I never used a scart switch with my framemeister, but never ran into that. I would definitely blame the switch.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
That was my initial reaction too, but the Genesis and Neo Geo both work when connected to that same input on the scart switch, so I'm not so sure. But yeah, it's probably a bit of a gnarly setup going system > switch > framemesiter > tv anyway, so I probably shouldn't complain.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I beat Ys IV. It was great. It was the first epic entry into series and I mean that in the real sense of the word. There were more bosses more dialogue more of everything. Just a bigger game in general. I really enjoyed the boss fights this time around too. I don't think the music is as good as the first three though, but that doesn't mean the music was bad. It just means the bar with set high.

I was meaning to reply to you last time, am glad to hear it! It was a privilege getting to localize it even though I don't think it's 100% finished (none of my projects ever are, there's always loose ends or regrets).

The interesting thing about the music/soundtrack I found was it had lasting power and grows on you... I may have over-listened to tracks from Ys I-III which may explain why I became a little more fond of Ys IV though. It varies over time which I consider my favorite.

I distinctly remember popping my Ys IV disc in the drive to run the default CD music player and just listen to favorite tracks now and then (just remember to skip track 2!). Of course I recorded all Ys tracks I-IV to cassette tape (some FF, LoT, GoT too) for listening in the car BITD too. Still nothing quite like them!

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
That was my initial reaction too, but the Genesis and Neo Geo both work when connected to that same input on the scart switch, so I'm not so sure. But yeah, it's probably a bit of a gnarly setup going system > switch > framemesiter > tv anyway, so I probably shouldn't complain.

I use a gscartsw_lite switch with my setup and I haven’t had a problem with my SSDS3.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member

I use a gscartsw_lite switch with my setup and I haven’t had a problem with my SSDS3.

I use my SGX/SSDS3 on a cheap mechanical Hama SCART switch in conjunction with Mega CD and Neo Geo going into a PVM. Have not had any problems with that setup.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
No problems here with using a Shinybow 6x2 Scart matrix switcher.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
It was a privilege getting to localize it even though I don't think it's 100% finished (none of my projects ever are, there's always loose ends or regrets).

oh snap! I had no idea you were THAT NightWolve. Awesome job on the translation. I thought it was good, better than most official translations of that time.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The In Game Trigger as it currently works is problematic. I would highly suggest keeping it disabled. And we plan to revise the interface soon.

So yeah, any progress?

(I know I quoted this before but seriously, it's been a while now).

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Anyone else have the problem with the arcade card functionality shitting the bed? TO forums are a ghost town in terms of support.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Anyone else have the problem with the arcade card functionality shitting the bed? TO forums are a ghost town in terms of support.

The built in arcade card?

All games work fine. I play some Sapphire, Strider (don't judge), AOF, WH2, and ffs here and there.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The built in arcade card?

All games work fine. I play some Sapphire, Strider (don't judge), AOF, WH2, and ffs here and there.

Yeah so did mine for awhile. Seems to be something where the extra RAM used for ACD games gets corrupted or something. Rendering ACD games unplayable after this happens.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Yeah so did mine for awhile. Seems to be something where the extra RAM used for ACD games gets corrupted or something. Rendering ACD games unplayable after this happens.

Dang, that blows. Contact yodd or something. Mine works fine.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
too late... what a travesty of a port.

Yep. Horrible game. I play it every now and then because ... Well I can't believe how bad it is. I'm 1000% certain a more serviceable port was possible but the short lead time from moving it from the Supergrafx to the PC CD didn't help. From what I read they had to port it fast before losing the license.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

Can you download an arcade card bios from the internet and select it from the menu? That might be worth a try.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Sounds like the ACD issue is not a matter of "if" but WHEN for people. I currently have a rev2 board and it shit the bed after about a year and a half of regular use. It seems to have something to do with the RAM used for ACD games. It becomes corrupt after reading/writing "X" number of times. And until they announce a fix, ACD games are unplayable after it happens.

I know Todd has his hands full with customer support, but they've pretty much ignored everyone on the forums that have chimed in with the same problem. I can't speak for the chats happening on discord as I'm not a fan of using that. It's honestly a little suspicious given that most tech issues will have someone other than Todd chime in fairly quick...regardless of "new product" orders taking up their time.

It's a real bummer, since I sold my Duo after buying one of these things, and I play ACD games pretty regularly...or, i did.

Alpha Troll

War Room Troll
I was meaning to reply to you last time, am glad to hear it! It was a privilege getting to localize it even though I don't think it's 100% finished (none of my projects ever are, there's always loose ends or regrets).

The interesting thing about the music/soundtrack I found was it had lasting power and grows on you... I may have over-listened to tracks from Ys I-III which may explain why I became a little more fond of Ys IV though. It varies over time which I consider my favorite.

I distinctly remember popping my Ys IV disc in the drive to run the default CD music player and just listen to favorite tracks now and then (just remember to skip track 2!). Of course I recorded all Ys tracks I-IV to cassette tape (some FF, LoT, GoT too) for listening in the car BITD too. Still nothing quite like them!

It was a privilege to call you out on fucking with DarkKolbold and his Jessie Jaeger game too LOL

Last edited: