PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

sheik

n00b
I suppose it'll arrive....

Thanks for the info... let's not stress out Alex as really... it's not his fault...

Absolutely, I expect it will turn up on Monday.
I’m excited to play some PC Engine games for the first time. Have been following the saga since the Rev 1 drama and wish Terraonion all the best. This is just a hobby for all of us, and none of the stress should get in the way of people’s family life.

What I’m hoping is that they can avoid writing off all those Rev 1 boards once Voultar’s fix is out in the wild. That would presumably help their bottom line.

Once mine arrives and hopefully works with my untested SuperGrafx I will post some enthusiastic thanks - like I did for my NeoSD!

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Does flipping the cap actually improve the RGB video signal, or just composite?

The cap is on the composite video line so it would only maybe effect rgb if you are using a composite video as sync cable or HD Retrovision component cables. A CSYNC RGB cable would not be effected one way or the other.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Flipping the cap makes no noticeable difference for me. I will test with the scope later, there must be a measurable difference I would think but it doesnt appear to translate to anything visual.

One100bill

n00b
That's only the Multi though, correct? The Fighting Stick PC I believe is hard-wired.

The Multi is crazy pricey.

I’ve seen the multi before. The build quality (plastic) leaves a lot to be desired though. Wish it had the build quality of the hard-wired stick. That was a huge factor when I bought mine. Luckily I built my own Genesis stick.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Re: cleaning the EXT connector.
I cleaned mine with pure IPA and a toothbrush.

Hold your PCE over a sink, connector facing downward.
Dip your toothbrush in the IPA (make sure it's pure, not watery) and scrub a dub dub.

Connectors come up gleaming after that.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Absolutely loving my SSDS3!
My audio issues seem to be different than what people have posted so far. For me, the audio works great at the start of playing, nice and clear in both speakers with only a little bit of noise which is expected out of an analog audio circuit (my SNES jr. gives me way more audio noise than this).
BUT after about 5 minutes of playing, the left speaker's audio starts to degrade, gets "scratchy", then eventually cuts out entirely giving me only mono sound out of the right speaker.
I haven't tried to debug it yet, other than checking the connections of my PACKAPUNCH (don't know why I'm yelling this) cable, or testing another device going through my OSSC. My PACKAPUNCH cable is new, as of the March batch of this year, but I should probably see if I was sent a faulty one. Could this be a sign of my Coregrafx's audio circuit failing? Has anyone else had this particular issue as well? Seems like there is a faulty component somewhere in the chain, but I'm not sure where to start looking other than the cable it's hooked up to.

Sounds to me like your CoreGrafx needs a recap - especially since the behavior changes over time. Does the audio channel get scratchy and cut out when playing an original HuCard?

Yeah it happens to any game, HuCard or CD after 5 minutes. I'll verify this still happens using the stock composite cable, coming straight out of the Coregrafx rather than the SSDS3. If it still persists, I'll go ahead with a cap kit...this console probably needs one anyway.

Just wanted to report that I've recapped my Coregrafx and the audio issue I'm having is still there. I'm going to look at the audio circuit and see if there's a faulty amp or something.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
It sounds to me like something is losing contact as your console warms up.
Maybe try reflowing the joints on the audio amp?
I bet there's a dry joint somewhere.

jamon1567

n00b
Noticed a few folks here having issues with their Supergrafx and I'm happy to report that everything seems to be working fine for me, with no audio buzzing. System was just recapped and am using packapunch csync cables. Very happy with the purchase, thanks TO.

Edit: I wanted to add the power supply I'm using for my Supergrafx in case anyone having issues might be in the market for a new one. I bought it from Amazon (looking at it now, it's out of stock unfortunately....) and the link is below. I also needed to buy a specific plug adapter for it that it didn't come with, which I've also pasted a link to below.

Power Supply: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FSCKPEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Adapter: https://console5.com/store/2-pin-dc-plug-adapter-for-turbo-duo-pc-engine-duo-super-cdrom2.html

Last edited:

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
are there any plans to include trainer or cheat support?
This would be great. The only device that allows this on real hardware is tototeks PCE pro flash cart. Flashing the card with a patched system card would even allow cheats on cd rom games.
I have uploaded some codes i created on their forum way back in the day.

Seren

n00b
Well, thought i'd post my setup and findings.

Rev 2 SSSD3 (Cap C60 has not been reversed)
PVM 14M4E
RGC MD2 Packapunch
Stock PCE Core Grafx II (no RGB mods or recap)
Stock original PSU
128Gb Sandisk MicroSD (Exfat formatted)
Redump + Darkwater CD rips/Smokemonster Turbo Everdrive V4.2 rom pack.

Everything i have tested so far has been perfect and working great (CD and PCE rom dumps), as I have not witnessed all this talk about noise and whatever.

Games like Valis II did not show any noise on the green border that was mentioned elsewhere nor did Bonk III (only slight minor jailbars) but that is normal and nothing to do with the SSSD3.

The only issues that i did encounter were IGR, which is to be expected until further improvements can be made.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
this might be kind of a random question but has any one else in Canada had difficulty with UPS re brokerage/clearing customs etc? It seems they were confused somehow by the item being delivered to my law firm even though it was addressed to me personally? I received like 8 emails about it in 48 hours where they kept saying that they'd made a mistake re customs but had corrected it. I order things online frequently and have never had any issues like this. Plus these motherfu**ers want to charge me $60 for taxes and brokerage fees. I blame Trudeau.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Woohoo! Mine has arrived! I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet to see if any audio issues or whatnot abound, but I have a good feeling it'll be alright. Mine even seems to have shipped just after Alex had been flipping the caps, so I shouldn't have a problem using my HDretrovision cable.

Ordered mine on Feburary 20th, btw.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
this might be kind of a random question but has any one else in Canada had difficulty with UPS re brokerage/clearing customs etc? It seems they were confused somehow by the item being delivered to my law firm even though it was addressed to me personally? I received like 8 emails about it in 48 hours where they kept saying that they'd made a mistake re customs but had corrected it. I order things online frequently and have never had any issues like this. Plus these motherfu**ers want to charge me $60 for taxes and brokerage fees. I blame Trudeau.

Once my package entered Canada I went on to UPS' site and arranged for it to be left on my doorstep and paid the fees in advance.

I first got screwed over by UPS in 1997, when they charged $35 to collect $3 in "customs charges" for an item value at $12. It's nothing new, just their business model.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Once my package entered Canada I went on to UPS' site and arranged for it to be left on my doorstep and paid the fees in advance.

I first got screwed over by UPS in 1997, when they charged $35 to collect $3 in "customs charges" for an item value at $12. It's nothing new, just their business model.

I got hit by customs as well! I'm looking at $60 extra when it finally arrives (>_<)!

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I've had problems with them even here in the states. I had ordered an ugly sweater for a party. No international shipment or anything. I was expecting the plain ol' U.S. Postal Service to just drop it off at my apartment.

However, I got home to find a UPS notice at the door instead, saying I needed to arrange some kind of re shipment with them, pay a fee, or have my item returned to sender. I was heading out of town for the next week or so this was really putting me in a pickle for something I hadn't asked for in the first place. After calling their customer support I learned that they wanted to be "helpful" and take on some of the USPS' shipments during this busy holiday season... yeah.

After arguing with them that I shouldn't have to pay for a service I hadn't agreed to or asked for in the first place, I finally got them to agree to just leave it with my neighbor. Of course, that meant I wouldn't get to use this Holiday-themed item for a whole 'nother year... bastards.

Ordered: 2/13
Shipped: 4/6
Arrived: 4/9 (Today)

TerraOnion team: Thank you so much for making such an incredible product. It's fantastic!

Loukey

n00b
So jealous of you guys. They shipped mine on the 20th and USPS has no tracking available yet.

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
I’m happy to report that mine works just fine! I flipped through a dozen games last night and they all pretty much work as intended. It’s seriously impressive to have these PCECD games load up almost instantly, compared to the long load times on my Duo.

As far as noises were concerned, I heard a slight hum while the SD card is being accessed, but I had to be listening for it, and I only really noticed it when no other sound was happening. This kind of stuff never really bothers me in the first place. (I own Neo Geo CD for crying out loud.)

If there was one improvement I could suggest, (and it’s probably something you plan to work on in due time) the back to menu trigger is a bit fiddly at times. I get that it doesn’t work with all games, but even in the games that do, it tends to vary how long you need to press SELECT + RUN. Sometimes it goes in 3 seconds. Sometimes it goes instantly. And sometimes it doesn’t go at all, and I need to press them again to get it to finally go back. But no matter. I can get my ass up and power cycle the thing.

Other than that, it’s a stellar piece of hardware! I’ve already recommended it to a couple of people in my retro gaming/modding groups. Well done, Alex! I know it’s been a tough road to get here, but you saw it through. Congrats!

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I'm sitting in my office, patiently waiting for my super sd system 3 to arrive. It's supposed to come today. Did you have to buy yourself the genesis 2 cable or can it just use my stock turbo grafx 16 video output cable? I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to hit some retro game stores on my way home from work when I inevitably depart the office early because I've waited for months for this thing and I can't wait a second longer.

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm sitting in my office, patiently waiting for my super sd system 3 to arrive. It's supposed to come today. Did you have to buy yourself the genesis 2 cable or can it just use my stock turbo grafx 16 video output cable? I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to hit some retro game stores on my way home from work when I inevitably depart the office early because I've waited for months for this thing and I can't wait a second longer.

*Video* will work fine out of the normal TG16 output port, as will HuCard audio. CD Audio *must* come out of the Genesis 2 port on the SSDS3.

d125c

n00b
Thanks to Alex and Terraonion team for giving us this amazing product.

Ordered: 10Feb
Arrived: 9Apr

SSSD3 Rev 2 w/ reversed Cap C60
HDretrovision Genesis YPbPr Component Cable
PCE Core Grafx I w/ Original PSU 110v (Japan, no mods or no recap)
Sony 46Z5500
Sandisk MicroSD
Turbo Everdrive V4.2 rom pack + cue/iso

RGB looks amazing on my Sony TV. Tested so far has been perfect (CD and PCE rom dumps), I have had zero issues so far.