PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

landsat

n00b
@Alex, does the Super SD System 3 is shipped with the lastest firmware or should I update ?

Thanks.

scorpion73

n00b
Just a feedback here ( i don't know where to post ). Received my Neo SD MVS today after yesterday's shipping with DHL in Italy. Very fast, very good service. Thanks for the update.

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Re: DHL in the US - I got a notification from the NeoSD Store, yesterday (Monday), at around noon local time, indicating that mine had shipped. Only a few hours later, I got an email from DHL confirming a Wednesday delivery date. I'm not sure if you have to register for DHL On Demand, but they allow you to easily change the delivery date, authorize to leave without signature, etc., online. I'm on the east coast, but this is basically as fast as Amazon Prime.

Relikk

n00b
@Alex, just receive my Super SD System 3 today, only 24h after shipping, DHL is really good for this. Thanks for everythings.

Next step, try it tonight and have fun :)

Just a feedback here ( i don't know where to post ). Received my Neo SD MVS today after yesterday's shipping with DHL in Italy. Very fast, very good service. Thanks for the update.

OK, now I'm getting pissed off. (Not with TO, with Correos).

neosd

Neosd Developer
Guys,

Today it has been DHL (Correos orders) day.
We have managed to ship 50 packets.

Tomorrow we will ship UPS orders and DHL orders shipped to Spain (those are being shipped with a different DHL account than international orders)

Sorry, we just can´t mix diferent proceses.

Alex,

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Guys,

Today it has been DHL (Correos orders) day.
We have managed to ship 50 packets.

Tomorrow we will ship UPS orders and DHL orders shipped to Spain (those are being shipped with a different DHL account than international orders)

Sorry, we just can´t mix diferent proceses.

Alex,

Got my DHL notification today. I'll let you know how shipping goes here to Ohio, speed-wise, etc.

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Reading that makes me feel like we developed a high end audio and video output addon for the pcengine instead of an ODE

BTW : Audio levels can be adjusted by software, we will have a look at that after Semana Santa (spring break) ends.

Thanks for the coments

The ODE portion of it is definitely the most alluring since no other PC-Engine products currently do that. However, since the product also provides RGB output and is a premium price I think the enthusiasts with high end setups also have high expectations. It's good to hear that audio levels can be adjusted in software. A future firmware update to address that is a completely acceptable solution.

There just seems to be a lot of noise in the video signal (and maybe audio to lesser degree) that's not present in other modern RGB solutions. I realize you're very busy trying to catch up on shipping orders, but I'm hoping once you get caught up that you'll be able to look into the video more and not just assume "oh, those crazy videophiles are at it again" :P (even if it ends up being a solution I have to solder in myself).

I'm also curious if other customers who are pretty technical are having similar results to what I'm seeing with the OSSC or similar devices (devices meant to upscale to a HDTV tend to be more likely show underlying video noise than just going straight to a CRT). That would help rule out if it's potentially every unit, or just mine.

neosd

Neosd Developer
The ODE portion of it is definitely the most alluring since no other PC-Engine products currently do that. However, since the product also provides RGB output and is a premium price I think the enthusiasts with high end setups also have high expectations. It's good to hear that audio levels can be adjusted in software. A future firmware update to address that is a completely acceptable solution.

There just seems to be a lot of noise in the video signal (and maybe audio to lesser degree) that's not present in other modern RGB solutions. I realize you're very busy trying to catch up on shipping orders, but I'm hoping once you get caught up that you'll be able to look into the video more and not just assume "oh, those crazy videophiles are at it again" :P (even if it ends up being a solution I have to solder in myself).

I'm also curious if other customers who are pretty technical are having similar results to what I'm seeing with the OSSC or similar devices (devices meant to upscale to a HDTV tend to be more likely show underlying video noise than just going straight to a CRT). That would help rule out if it's potentially every unit, or just mine.

Sorry,

We are not going to do any more changes to the video.

We can´t notice any issue with it anymore.

Also, after this experience we are not going to do any device more with RGB output.

I hope you understand that, Super SD System 3 video otput was NOT designed to be a high end output. It was an extra on the ODE.

Everytime i see people looking for issues on the RGB side, doing a post like yours and not writing a single word about the ODE itself, i feel we did a mistake while adding the rgb output at all.

Those guys with high end setups can use theyr pcengine video outputs as i asume they were using before.

Audio is a different story : we can adjust it by software even for indivial games and we plan to do it when neodev comes back from Semana Santa.

I would also like to state that the price of Super SD System 3 is set by the amount of hours we spent doing a 99% perfect ODE (among other things such as company expenses, taxes and fees related to the salaries, producting costs and the reduced market PCE has)

Last edited:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Also, after this experience we are not going to do any device more with RGB output.

I would also like to state that the price of Super SD System 3 is set by the amount of hours we spent doing a 99% perfect ODE.

I am a little disappointed to hear that's the case - but I totally understand. You ended up having to take a large financial hit on something that was just added as a bonus.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I am a little disappointed to hear that's the case - but I totally understand. You ended up having to take a large financial hit on something that was just added as a bonus.

Yes, this is part of the feeling here and the other point is : people asking for more RGB changes just as if the change we had to do wasn´t hurt our balances or our schelude at all.

No more RGB, sorry

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yes, this is part of the feeling here and the other point is : people asking for more RGB changes just as if the change we had to do wasn´t hurt our balances or our schelude at all.

No more RGB, sorry

I wasn't implying that you do another recall and put out a brand new board. I was referring to more of a good faith effort to look into once all the shipping frenzy calms down. For example, say if it was looked into later and it were to turn out "oh, adding an extra filtering capacitor here gets rid of the noise" then I would be completely fine with soldering that in myself. If every unit is like mine, I would assume the video noise would be very obvious when measured with an oscilloscope (though I don't own one myself). Just from observing the output on mine it's obvious that the ODE/FPGA/whatever is introducing noise into the analog video.

I am a reasonable guy who's trying to provide productive feedback rather than start attacking as some previous people have. Again, I'm not expecting some giant recall of the new boards but in my opinion just flat out saying you won't even bother to look into the video noise on the new board is honestly poor customer service. Maybe some details are getting lost in translation.

Everytime i see people looking for issues on the RGB side, doing a post like yours and not writing a single word about the ODE itself, i feel we did a mistake while adding the rgb output at all.

To put a positive light on things, so far that means the ODE portion is really good. In my limited testing so far the ODE portion is working great. Plus, if problems are found with it later I assume it's highly likely you'll be able to address it with a firmware update.

It's just the nature of things that if people are reporting issues, they're probably not going talk about the parts they had no problems with. :P

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
A few notes.

- Using the Sega Mega Drive 2 / Genesis 2 RGB SCART PACKAPUNCH PRO CABLE from Retro Gaming Cables through the OSSC, and the picture is fantastic. No noise at all.
- Concerning CD games. I misunderstood the instructions in the manual, so originally I was simply creating a folder like "#-C" and copying everything into there. I figured out on my own that I had to create a folder for each cd-based game. I don't think that's spelled-out in the manual well enough (just read it again now).
- Either I need a better file for the Super System Card v3, or there's an issue with a few games reading it correctly. So Far, Fantasy Star Soldier (I haven't tried Star Parodia yet) and Godzilla US are asking for that card, even though that's what I've already chosen. Is it against the rules to ask for a link to a verified System Card file?
- The manual states that the supported files are ".pce/.cue/,bin" but I tried an .ISO today and it also works (I see that mentioned in the text in the lower-left of the manual, but not the larger image in the middle of the manual)
- Question for neosd, since I'm plugged into the Supergrafx, do I need to activate Arcade Card in the options?

Now that I've got my CD image woes sorted, gonna start loading the rest of them onto the card today. This is a great day!

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
I wasn't implying that you do another recall and put out a brand new board. I was referring to more of a good faith effort to look into once all the shipping frenzy calms down. For example, say if it was looked into later and it were to turn out "oh, adding an extra filtering capacitor here gets rid of the noise" then I would be completely fine with soldering that in myself. If every unit is like mine, I would assume the video noise would be very obvious when measured with an oscilloscope (though I don't own one myself). Just from observing the output on mine it's obvious that the ODE/FPGA/whatever is introducing noise into the analog video.

I am a reasonable guy who's trying to provide productive feedback rather than start attacking as some previous people have. Again, I'm not expecting some giant recall of the new boards but in my opinion just flat out saying you won't even bother to look into the video noise on the new board is honestly poor customer service. Maybe some details are getting lost in translation.

To put a positive light on things, so far that means the ODE portion is really good. In my limited testing so far the ODE portion is working great. Plus, if problems are found with it later I assume it's highly likely you'll be able to address it with a firmware update.

It's just the nature of things that if people are reporting issues, they're probably not going talk about the parts they had no problems with. :P

I am positive about coments relating issues and things to improve.

But i am tired about the RGB story, i think that this is one of those things that have no end.
There will always be some one that the quality is not enough, just the same way there are people who can´t live with a noise inside theyr car. Theyr ears are just educated to spot this noise, no matter how small it is.

If we do changes on the pcb just to please those guys with educated eyes and high end setups, we will be again where we were 2 months ago, and where we are now : people demanding a new board for free, people demanding an instant shipping.

So no, i promise we will NEVER NEVER NEVER do any other device with RGB, neither we will EVER EVER EVER touch the video side of Super SD System 3.

Is the video output good ? If you ask me, i would say yes.

Is it high end otput ? i have no clue, but if you think its not, i believe you. My eyes are not educated to that level.

I hope you understand my point, i am not mad about the coments (even it could look like), i am tired about working so many days without non stop and i think such things are not worth the portion its taking from my health.

It has to be a point where one has to say NO.

Last edited:

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy

But i am tired about the RGB story, i think that this is one of those things that have no end.
There will always be some one that the quality is not enough, just the same way there are people who can´t live with a noise inside theyr car. Theyr ears are just educated to spot this noise, no matter how small it is.

If we do changes on the pcb just to please those guys with educated eyes and high end setups, we will be again where we were 2 months ago, and where we are now : people demanding a new board for free, people demanding an instant shipping.

So no, i promise we will NEVER NEVER NEVER do any other device with RGB, neither we will EVER EVER EVER touch the video side of Super SD System 3.

Is it high end otput ? i have no clue, but if you think its not, i believe you. My eyes are not educated to that level.

I hope you understand my point, i am not mad about the coments (even it could look like), i am tired about working so many days without non stop and i think such things are not worth the portion its taking from my health.

If your next project is the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, it already outputs RGB ;-)

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

It seems the whole RGB output crowd is a hobby in and of itself - almost separate from actual gameplay. I think any way to distance from that as a crowd that will have reason to scrutinize the better. Got my shipping notification this morning too, so I am on cloud nine!

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Whatever those are, it will not have an RGB output, even if it could have it.

Whatever it is, I'm definitely interested. I never worried about RGB until this device popped-up, but with the OSSC (I don't have an RGB-capable display), I'm very happy with the results.

Again, I can't thank you folks enough for developing this device. Way less stress on my cd drives, everything in one spot, and it travels so much better than before. Seriously top-notch!!

kogami

n00b
I want to download the complete full set CD-Rom², I chose as team "redump.org", someone could certify me that their ISO is compatible with the PCE Super SD System 3?

**EDITED BY ROT....**

neosd

Neosd Developer
I want to download the complete full set CD-Rom², I chose as team "redump.org", someone could certify me that their ISO is compatible with the PCE Super SD System 3?

I am a big fan of redump work, i can confirm you that is compatible but redump PCE set is missing a huge lot of games (unfortunally)

Last edited:

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
kogami , you may want to edit your post and remove that link. That's against the rules here

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Lads Lads Lads...

Let me make this CLEAR for you...

1. GENERAL ROM TALK = OK'ish...
2. LINKING OF ROMZ = Potentially gonna upset the management...

xROTx

PS. IF you guys need links... The official chat room is nice... TOP LINK...