PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

neosd

Neosd Developer
TECHNICAL ISSUE PLEASE HELP: I got the Super System 3, plug it into an american Turbografx 16, the original HUE cards work fine via the RGB output of the unit. But if I turn on the console with no HUE card and a SD card FAT 32 with roms on it, I get nothing but a blank gray screen....

I've got to be doing something wrong, any ideas?

Hello,

Check that Super SD System 3 is well inserted, if you boot the console without a sd card and Super SD System 3 well inserted you will get a message telling the miscrod is not inserted.
Check if you have any bended pins on the expansion port.

What power supply are you using ?

neodev

Neosd Tech
I agree that users should be more organized and they should be subfoldering their games as you suggested, but that doesn't change the fact that if you have 450+ CD games on a SD card, regardless of how many subdirectories there are, the System 3 is still going to scan for the 450+ CUEs like Black Tiger said it does (and NEOSD confirmed). So every time you reset or start up the system it is going to take 13 seconds before the list comes up. That 13 seconds can add up over time.

IF there was a feature in the options that said "Scan CD GAMES LIST" and it took the 13 seconds to scan the 450+ cue files in each folder and then created a list to pick your game from on the select screen and that list was then saved to a file it would eliminate unnecessary rescans if nothing changed.. The next time you reset or start the system again, tabbing over to the CD GAMES menu will instantly show the list and the system 3 does not have to take 13 seconds to scan all 450+ folders for CUE files again. This would be adequate enough for anyone adding large amounts of CD games to a SD card even if it is not an entire library only once in a blue moon. If and when they decide to add more, those new games will not show up in the menu right away until you go back into options and ask the SYSTEM 3 to rescan the 450+ folders and subfolders (So it finds all the new content) looking for all the CUE files again. It then creates a new list file and overwrites the old one. So you only waste up to 13 seconds when you are adding new games to the SD card not each time you reset or start.

What do you think?

I have a few ideas for caching the game lists, and detecting changes, but they need to be implemented. Something similar to the games.db files that we currently use for screenshots.

As Todd says, the entire SD is not scanned every time, just the current directory, and then for each directory in the current one, it's checked if there is a .cue file there, but it doesn't go deeper, so splitting the games in directories make the scanning faster.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
yes, create little database file and put "scan game / new game" only on-demande.
It's useless detect change on each start.

sdekaar

n00b
@neosd I apologize in advance for my question ... currently I would like to know at what order'date you are at the level of sending. I saw here that some people who ordered 08/12 received their sss. thanks by advance

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
@neosd I apologize in advance for my question ... currently I would like to know at what order'date you are at the level of sending. I saw here that some people who ordered 08/12 received their sss. thanks by advance

I'm going to reply for NeoSD and neodev. You will get it when you get it. Every time people ask this question it's just a waste of their time. Sit back. Relax. You will get the device and they will send you a tracking number when it's ready.

Is it really that hard to understand stop asking about queues?

Dan Hero

n00b

Guys have shipped 140 units last week and have another 40 ready for today. Moreover, they said they're planning to ship 30 units per day. This is simply crazy, so just be patient mon ami, dunno when you placed your order, but it looks like a matter of days.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
I finished unzipping and converting a "complete" set of Turbo/PCE isos. Often a Japanese version is not included if there is an English version of a game. Some demos are included. It seems to be as complete as can be expected for commercial releases, except Daisenryaku II is missing. It currently totals 438 discs and takes up 174GB. So a 256GB sd card has plenty of room for published homebrew, hacks and translations.

Opening the folder of CD games in the SSS3 menu takes 13 seconds and then navigating through them is as fast as folders of any format or size. My HuCard rom folder has 768 files, is 218MB in size and takes a split second to open. It includes translations, sound roms, hes files and misc demos.

Traditional sound roms don't usually work with the SSS3, but some do. Sound roms made by Deflemask that I've tried have not worked. Hes files don't show up in the list. Tom's adpcm example roms, which are decoded by the PC Engine's cpu and not the IFU chip, play fine. So for now, the Turbo Everdrive is still relevant for its ability to play chiptune rips. But it's still much easier to navigate through HuCard roms on the SSS3.

I'd resisted stretching out my SSS3 by trying it on my unmodified TG-16 until today. After spending a lot of time using it with my white PC Engine, I noticed a lot more static/lines/misc across picture when a CD game was loading or certain processes were happening during games of any kind. During typical gameplay segments though, there was only the minimal jailbars I described before. This PC Engine has an RGB mod which produces a picture as perfect as I've seen with various video mods performed by various people. It also has a region switch mod.

When I tried the SS3 with my unmodified TurboGrafx-16 (and SMS psu), I found none of those picture issues during processes and the in-game jailbars are pretty much invisible while the screen is moving. Knowing exactly what a stronger version of them looks like makes them more apparent to me, but they're still difficult to pick out at first, even when a game is paused.

This is why I wanted to report imperfections with a disclaimer about the setups I was trying. Many people take recommended settings as an "excuse" for problems with a product. I've already narrowed down not only a range of issues from using a cheap power supply and possibly unoptimal RGB cable, but it now seems that a jailbar fix, RGB or region switch mods are also the cause of picture quality degradation.

I'm probably going to go back to my original plan of getting an umodified CoreGrafx with stock power supply to use withe SSS3 and a Packapunch MD2 cable without audio breakout. I'll just use a TED with my modded SuperGrafx when I feel like playing SGX games.

Thanks a lot. SMS and model 1 Genesis ac adaptors have always been very hard to find locally and all of my official SMS and Mark III psus cut out when the cord is bent a certain way.

https://retrogamesupply.com/

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
While there are a ton of great PCE CD-Rom games, there certainly aren’t 450 of them. I don’t really get ROM hoarding of games you’ll never play, then complain it takes 13 seconds to read them all, as if 13 seconds is even a big deal. Delete some of the garbage you’ll never touch, read time’s reduced, problem solved.

The real question is why do you need every game? Most are unplayable if you don't understand japanese. I picked up a 64GB card and got every must own game on there along with a few translations. Only used about 36 gigs of space. Even then I still have some turds on there I will likely never play again like Exile WP. Would probably take a year to complete all those if I played turbo exclusively every night for like a year.

I feel like having so many games on these flash carts is just an annoyance. Longer to load up, endless navigating through folders just to find something, and never sticking to one game cause you want to try everything.

Just get the best games and if you ever beat em all add a few more. Doubt you ever will.

I

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
While there are a ton of great PCE CD-Rom games, there certainly aren’t 450 of them. I don’t really get ROM hoarding of games you’ll never play, then complain it takes 13 seconds to read them all, as if 13 seconds is even a big deal. Delete some of the garbage you’ll never touch, read time’s reduced, problem solved.

I never complained about load times, just the opposite. I'm happy with 13 seconds or much longer for a single game to flash on the the NeoSD. 180GB in 13 seconds is amazing and better than I ever expected.

I'm helping benchmark the limits of what anyone could expect. I'm not a typical user and I do actually use every game and play through many with the toughest gajin protection. The average non-Japanese speaking player will only ever need at most 1/4 as many CD games on their SSS3.

I wouldn't expect most people to keep all of their CD games in a single folder, but it's what works for my needs and one of the points I was making is that I personally have no trouble finding particular games in a second of two. It's much faster than trying to get to a HuCard rom using any existing PC Engine flashcarts.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I never complained about load times, just the opposite. I'm happy with 13 seconds or much longer for a single game to flash on the the NeoSD. 180GB in 13 seconds is amazing and better than I ever expected.

I'm helping benchmark the limits of what anyone could expect. I'm not a typical user and I do actually use every game and play through many with the toughest gajin protection. The average non-Japanese speaking player will only ever need at most 1/4 as many CD games on their SSS3.

I wouldn't expect most people to keep all of their CD games in a single folder, but it's what works for my needs and one of the points I was making is that I personally have no trouble finding particular games in a second of two. It's much faster than trying to get to a HuCard rom using any existing PC Engine flashcarts.

I have to admit that i am one of those that feels the need to have every single version of a game on a flashcart.

I know this is some kind of issue on my mind, i even store games that i have finished.

BTW, we have shipped 85 Super SD System 3 since yesterday. Tonite a lot of people will get tracking from yesterday´s Correos shipment (i will get those tonite at 22:00 and i plan to add it to the webshop)

BTW2 : please, stop sending emails asking "when my order will be shipped", "i bought last sunday, when my order will be shipped", "you said you would ship in 6 weeks and 6 weeks have passed, where is my shipment ?"

After working the entire weekend and 16 hours a day, day after day, my soul gets destroyed reading such emails on saturday, on sunday, on monday morning. Some poeple even send a seccond email after not getting an answer of such emails the day after.

Sorry, we are not going to answer any email about "when are you going to ship my order", every minute spent on that is a minute less spent on shipping. The flood we are getting with such emails is affecting tech support aswel, its hard to spot what an important email is and what an email asking for shipment date is.

We are unable to give shipment dates cause we don´t know, we are just shipping.

I wont be rude but i am tired about work so many hours and see those emails day after day, hour after hour.

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Do what you can. I actually stopped checking this thread because it was getting me too excited for it. Quite thrilled that mine shipped, ans I can't wait to start using it!

Dan Hero

n00b
the only proposal I can suggest is, when somebody receives his shipping note and wants to share the awesomeness here, then he specify the day he ordered the unit, so the others can see what progress has been made, without emailing Terraonion.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
The better proposal is for anyone who orders to just chill out and wait. If that's not possible maybe cryogenically freeze yourself until it arrives?

It's not a matter of life and death, except for Silva but he made sure he lost his chance. If you want one, place an order, load up an sd card, and go about the rest of your life.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm here....

Alex and his team are working 14 hours a day PLUS....

I would SUGGEST a more considered... patient approach... and you'll get your order...

This is NOT a NG.dev situation... where people paid $600usd plus and are still waiting after 3 years....

So i'd advise our memberbase to consider the fact that I am currently chilling the fuck out... after my recent decisions and battles on this forum.... BUT as everyone knows....

It doesn't really take much to irritate me into action....

xROTx

TuSecsy

War Room Troll
I have to admit that i am one of those that feels the need to have every single version of a game on a flashcart.

I know this is some kind of issue on my mind, i even store games that i have finished.

BTW, we have shipped 85 Super SD System 3 since yesterday. Tonite a lot of people will get tracking from yesterday´s Correos shipment (i will get those tonite at 22:00 and i plan to add it to the webshop)

BTW2 : please, stop sending emails asking "when my order will be shipped", "i bought last sunday, when my order will be shipped", "you said you would ship in 6 weeks and 6 weeks have passed, where is my shipment ?"

After working the entire weekend and 16 hours a day, day after day, my soul gets destroyed reading such emails on saturday, on sunday, on monday morning. Some poeple even send a seccond email after not getting an answer of such emails the day after.

Sorry, we are not going to answer any email about "when are you going to ship my order", every minute spent on that is a minute less spent on shipping. The flood we are getting with such emails is affecting tech support aswel, its hard to spot what an important email is and what an email asking for shipment date is.

We are unable to give shipment dates cause we don´t know, we are just shipping.

I wont be rude but i am tired about work so many hours and see those emails day after day, hour after hour.

Just type up a form letter explaining the situation and ctrl-v it to everybody who complains or asks. Not complicated.

If you can't wait patiently for first gen video game tech like this you're a fuckin idiot and don't deserve it, to put it bluntly.

Side note, does anyone have a list of CD games that are both playable (not complete shovelware), and don't require japanese?

Seems to be like 10% of the library? I can't be bothered with most of this bullshit...

neosd

Neosd Developer
the only proposal I can suggest is, when somebody receives his shipping note and wants to share the awesomeness here, then he specify the day he ordered the unit, so the others can see what progress has been made, without emailing Terraonion.

yes, great idea, to put people nervous and get more preasure over my shoulders,

Just what i need now, it helps a lot

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have had to report this seller in the past for selling fake Universe Bios.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Guys ... is the same ... is one from Spain , from Bilbao who sell it on ebay ... maybe the Terraonion Team knows about the Bilbao customers ! (the same guy ... "vintagetxeaeh" sell on ebay.fr also sell on ebay.com) ... so ... it's just one ... a guy from Bilbao

-> https://www.ebay.com/itm/253447623042?ViewItem=&item=253447623042

I just checked it, we haven´t shipped any Super SD System 3 to Bilbao or any region near of Bilbao (200kms from Bilbao).

He is using a fake address or he dosen´t has it in stock and he is selling in advance.

If i find any Super SD System 3 order from Bilbao on the queue, i am going to send it to the end of the queue.

If anyone can give more details, it would be great.

I don´t care about people reselling our products on ebay, but i don´t like to see someone taking vantage of our shipping delay situation to make money.