PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 Mini announced

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Coincidently enough I finished the Sega CD version yesterday on my JankyActive and while it's a great visual novel, it's a visual novel. No pretense of being an adventure game here, so almost nothing qualifies as puzzles and the third act even becomes more of a movie than a game. It's a 1 playthrough game and it certainly does not deserve the prices people ask for it on ebay.

Would have been nice to have it on the PCE Mini but would it be worth the effort for Konami to do a new translation of it? I don't think so. There's always the Sega CD or the telephone game style MSX translation (seriously it's just bizarre and borders on machine translated, and even has leftover portuguese lines in it -- wtf?).

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Has a hack been released for this yet?

It seems like the pandemic delayed things from my searching but figured someone here would know for sure.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
We talked about it multiple times in a German forum. Ikari_01 repaired it and here is the thread with his helpful post:

Use DeepL for translation:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Has anyone here bricked theirs?

I'm reading if you hook it up with a more than 5v 2a plug, it will fry the controller usb ports.

Please forgive me for asking this obvious basic question…why the hell would a USB port have more than 5V on it? What voltage are they actually sending to these things to kill them? I skimmed the article and found pretty much zero facts.

Overvolting ANYTHING will kill it.

I’ve been using the SNES Mini power supply or Apple ones. You know, normal ass name brand stuff that doesn’t pervert the standard and isn’t garbage from the Circle K checkout lane.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I just got a Pc engine mini for Christmas. I was just plugging into a USB adapter. Since this one is a third party one “made for the pc engine” what would the thoughts be on this one? Sounds like the official adapter is 5v 2a, but as mentioned in the questions this one is 5v 1a

78A47A72-134D-4907-AD9B-541BED21291F.jpeg

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I actually have one of those plugs coming. I bought a PC Engine mini again and will be trying it

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I’ve been playing with mine and haven’t had a problem yet and used two different usb plugs. I will check the rating on them when I get home now, but I may buy one of these if it works for you.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I never had a problem with my TG16 mini either I just noticed the issue when I was looking for hack updates.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Only use the official controllers, peeps hooked up their arcade sticks and grilled the usb port. Plug and unplug the controllers only when the mini is off.
Mine runs fine. Using a Nintendo mini psu, original pads, 8bitdo PCE 2.4 wireless controller is fine too.

It's fixable with the linked ikari_01 post.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Only use the official controllers, peeps hooked up their arcade sticks and grilled the usb port. Plug and unplug the controllers only when the mini is off.
Mine runs fine. Using a Nintendo mini psu, original pads, 8bitdo PCE 2.4 wireless controller is fine too.

It's fixable with the linked ikari_01 post.

Indeed. The same thing can kill an OG PC Engine too. That's how I got my first Core Grafx for free!

More paths to ground equals more current, equals, POP. This is basic Ohms law. If the max current of the PSU is higher, it only matters if you are asking for it. You can have a 5V one million amp power supply and it won't matter unless you create more paths to ground or lower the resistance in some other way.

The sketchy article linked just isn't that well written, I'm afraid. I don't see any "defect" in this console.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
i regret not picking these up earlier. Same with the Genesis mini. I assume they are going for well over MSRP at this point.

I had a lovely TG16 collection - outer cardboard boxes and all. Traded them all to Darcotrigger for some home carts. years ago.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My local Target still has the Genesis mini and I just sold the NES one for $75 shipped on here. They were going for more than MSRP but I think that was just a spike before people realized that there are a ton of these things. I'm sure they'll eventually go up, especially the Nintendo ones but for now they're still cheap and easy enough to find.

I just don't like them, they're convenient but they're so tiny that the system doesn't even weigh enough to sit flat or stay in place with the cables and controllers hooked up which drives me nuts. I've owned the NES, SNES and Genesis ones and honestly you're better of using a RetroPi instead of having a bunch of cheap, gimmicky mini consoles.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Indeed. The same thing can kill an OG PC Engine too. That's how I got my first Core Grafx for free!

More paths to ground equals more current, equals, POP. This is basic Ohms law. If the max current of the PSU is higher, it only matters if you are asking for it. You can have a 5V one million amp power supply and it won't matter unless you create more paths to ground or lower the resistance in some other way.

The sketchy article linked just isn't that well written, I'm afraid. I don't see any "defect" in this console.
I would say the defect is they didn’t include an ac adapter in the first place even if they increased the price.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
i regret not picking these up earlier. Same with the Genesis mini. I assume they are going for well over MSRP at this point.

I had a lovely TG16 collection - outer cardboard boxes and all. Traded them all to Darcotrigger for some home carts. years ago.
I got my PC engine mini from Amazon Japan sold by Amazon in November. Maybe Amazon will get more in stock although I do see third party sellers.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I would say the defect is they didn’t include an ac adapter in the first place even if they increased the price.
I wouldn’t disagree but I don’t think it has anything to do with systems dying unless there is something not yet mentioned on this issue. If the supply holds steady at 5V I don’t see the issue. If you aren’t shorting the USB ports to ground or nearly that, I don’t see the issue. The article that says it’s the guy’s TV that is pushing more volts…I’d like to see proof. The writer doesn’t seem to understand electrical theory from 100+ years ago that every junior college electrician understands reflexively and he has no measurements of anything. Correct PSU or not, creating more paths to ground results in more current flow…don’t do that. Don’t charge your iPad off your PCE Mini. Current use at those ports should be very very nearly zero, which it will be with the included pad, the rapid fire version, or the 8bitDo ones. I have all of these and have used the PCE Mini quite a bit.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I only posted the article and not reddit posts. People go into detail about what they did to trigger it.

I mean none of us encountered it, I wasn't even aware of it happening. That's why I asked to see who knew more and HH did clearing things up.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
My local Target still has the Genesis mini and I just sold the NES one for $75 shipped on here. They were going for more than MSRP but I think that was just a spike before people realized that there are a ton of these things. I'm sure they'll eventually go up, especially the Nintendo ones but for now they're still cheap and easy enough to find.

I just don't like them, they're convenient but they're so tiny that the system doesn't even weigh enough to sit flat or stay in place with the cables and controllers hooked up which drives me nuts. I've owned the NES, SNES and Genesis ones and honestly you're better of using a RetroPi instead of having a bunch of cheap, gimmicky mini consoles.

I think they’re good consoles for every day people. Not everyone knows how to program a raspberry pi. Plus you have to love the form factor and the controllers and custom menu.

That was definitely a big selling point for a lot of people. Personally I just like to collect them. I own all the real ones and I use a retrotink to connect it to my lcd when I want to play in the living room.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I got mine for mainly for my six year old so he could play Bonk reliably on an HDTV. I suppose the cheap brand free shit works great but since I ACTUALLY USE MY STUFF that means way more work and never getting controllers this good. I don’t want to do any work at all for a toy and PCE Mini pads are basically perfect, nothing I’ve seen aftermarket comes close. I want to tell these raspberry pi and 3D printing evangelicals to get bent but nothing I could say would be funnier than this:

(Note: it was played out five years ago to hound people like this…)