PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Those issues sound really strange. I've been using mine over the weekend and haven't found a problem yet playing any Hu-Card ROM or CD Image, except for a random softboot playing Star Parodier on stage 3... which was probably caused by having the in-game menu enabled. Still have to try it again with the option disabled. Very happy with it so far.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would be interested to know if anyone else has the same issue with the audio being ridiculously quiet? As shown in the video I posted, it's barely audible when maxed out.

I haven't tried mine yet, but that sounds like the audio is coming from the pins but aren't amped to proper line levels. My composite modded TG16 does the same. The audio is fine, but I have to turn up the receiver much higher and if the receiver can't crank it high enough you get distortion since you're at the amp's maximum output.

I've got a briefcase connected right now, I'll test a game with it then switch to the SD3 to see if the volume levels on mine are different.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I haven't tried mine yet, but that sounds like the audio is coming from the pins but aren't amped to proper line levels. My composite modded TG16 does the same. The audio is fine, but I have to turn up the receiver much higher and if the receiver can't crank it high enough you get distortion since you're at the amp's maximum output.

I've got a briefcase connected right now, I'll test a game with it then switch to the SD3 to see if the volume levels on mine are different.

Yeah I agree that it's likely not amped correctly. If I play a HuCard rom and plug into the system audio it's normal. As soon as I go back to the SSD3 I have to crank the volume.

Those issues sound really strange. I've been using mine over the weekend and haven't found a problem yet playing any Hu-Card ROM or CD Image, except for a random softboot playing Star Parodier on stage 3... which was probably caused by having the in-game menu enabled. Still have to try it again with the option disabled. Very happy with it so far.

I have been able to consistently recreate my issues, so I definitely wish my experience was the same as yours. It's interesting to see how different the results have been. At this point I am going to continue to use Todd's files since he also isn't having all of my issues, but some of them at least. That way we have some baseline to go off of.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
One of the members of the TerraOnion team posted to facebook that they are aware of the video noise issues and hope to have a fix by the weekend.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just hooked by SD3 and played a few games. I'm running it on a SD Wega set using HD Retrovision component cables.

First of all, the sound comparison. Audio from the SD3 is actually slightly louder than the same audio played through my IFUs audio out. It sounds good. I heard no hum or distortion.

The HD Retrovision cable works great with it. Setting the brightness switch to low is the correct position for this. I do see some noise in darker solid colors, it's pretty minor but it is there. If we get this fixed then it will look better than my RGB mod going through my converter.

Actual use is rad as fuck. Neosd said that loading is reduced, but in the games I tried it was pretty much gone altogether, like you were playing a hucard. CD audio starts with no seek delay at the start of stages which is a huge improvement over real hardware.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I just hooked by SD3 and played a few games. I'm running it on a SD Wega set using HD Retrovision component cables.

First of all, the sound comparison. Audio from the SD3 is actually slightly louder than the same audio played through my IFUs audio out. It sounds good. I heard no hum or distortion.

The HD Retrovision cable works great with it. Setting the brightness switch to low is the correct position for this. I do see some noise in darker solid colors, it's pretty minor but it is there. If we get this fixed then it will look better than my RGB mod going through my converter.

Actual use is rad as fuck. Neosd said that loading is reduced, but in the games I tried it was pretty much gone altogether, like you were playing a hucard. CD audio starts with no seek delay at the start of stages which is a huge improvement over real hardware.

This is good to hear. Have my Retrovision cables stored away. Might Need to dust them off and hook this up to the big screen.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
This is good to hear. Have my Retrovision cables stored away. Might Need to dust them off and hook this up to the big screen.

+1

On the HD Retro cable mailing list;)

Hopefully there'll be enough interest to make more sooner than later.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Buying the Retrovision cables is starting to be one of my better ideas in recent memory.

mjs0686

n00b
Just ordered one of these since I was so impressed with the neosd.

Question about power. I'm running out of power outlets and room. What's the voltage and amp requirements? Couldn't find this on the site.

Trying to see if I can power both one of these and a Core Graphx I with a single power supply that outputs 9v and a max of 3 amps.

Also what size power plug does it take?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah the original psu is less than an amp, a 3a is overkill and would be just fine.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
N00B Question:

My SD System 3 is stuck on Dracula X. I tried the Run+Select to back out, but that just brings up the CD System menu and immediately boots Dracula X. Even after power off. I think I must have set one of the options on accident to boot into last game played.

Just want to know if there's a way to boot into the super system menu or quit drac x and get back into the menu so I can fix the menu settings. I know I can put the SD back in my PC and delete the "last" file, but i'd rather not do all that if there's a simple button combination to press.

Also, will a Sega Trio PSU work for model 1 genny, model 2 cd, 33x?

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
N00B Question:

My SD System 3 is stuck on Dracula X. I tried the Run+Select to back out, but that just brings up the CD System menu and immediately boots Dracula X. Even after power off. I think I must have set one of the options on accident to boot into last game played.

Just want to know if there's a way to boot into the super system menu or quit drac x and get back into the menu so I can fix the menu settings. I know I can put the SD back in my PC and delete the "last" file, but i'd rather not do all that if there's a simple button combination to press.

Also, will a Sega Trio PSU work for model 1 genny, model 2 cd, 33x?

Hold Run (onlu Run, not select) while powering your pcengine on. That will load the menu instead of the last game, and works regardless of the in game trigger option.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Trio adapter does work, the Genesis 1/Sega CD plug is the right size for a PC Engine.

I'm about to order a SSDS3 to use with OSSC v.1.6. My PCE is already RGB modded. Is there a way on SSDS3 + OSSC setup to use RGB directly from the console but audio from the SSDS3?

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
I just discovered after receiving my SD3 in the mail yesterday that I don't have my genesis 2 cables any more. After calling around to literally every reasonably local retro game store it seems that no one has any megadrive/genesis 2 cables that aren't aftermarket made by retrogen. I'm not quite sure that I understand everything that I've read in this thread and others about the video options of the SD3. If I just want to use composite video (yellow, red, white) can I just use some aftermarket cable (retrogen) or do I need to buy the actual OEM genesis 2 composite cable (even though it's composite not RGB)? ps. sorry for my nooby/retarded question.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Follow packapunch on Facebook. They post there when they have stock.

Or a C-sync cable from someone else. A regular composite sync cable will buzz like hell.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I just discovered after receiving my SD3 in the mail yesterday that I don't have my genesis 2 cables any more. After calling around to literally every reasonably local retro game store it seems that no one has any megadrive/genesis 2 cables that aren't aftermarket made by retrogen. I'm not quite sure that I understand everything that I've read in this thread and others about the video options of the SD3. If I just want to use composite video (yellow, red, white) can I just use some aftermarket cable (retrogen) or do I need to buy the actual OEM genesis 2 composite cable (even though it's composite not RGB)? ps. sorry for my nooby/retarded question.

I think that if you're just doing composite, any old third-party cables will be fine.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I think that if you're just doing composite, any old third-party cables will be fine.

I can tell you from first hand experience this is not true.

The Retrobit Genesis 2 AV cable is complete shit. Audio only comes out of one channel with it. The other channel doesn’t work at all. I thought I had a bad cable but I spoke to someone else recently who bought two of them and experienced the same thing.

Avoid.