Pandoras Box 5

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It mentions 720p vga output, does it not support 480p!? :(

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I was stupid enough to grab one of the double joystick enclosures from 3A with the Pandoras 5 inside. It's not surprisingly junk. The stick is actually pretty impressive and the build quality is above standard for China...but that Pandoras Box....goddammmiiittt why can't they get this right? Everything has page tearing, some games just run like a slide show. It's terrible. I'll probably just put a raspberry pi in this thing and call it a day. At least salvage the stick.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
...but that Pandoras Box....goddammmiiittt why can't they get this right? Everything has page tearing, some games just run like a slide show. It's terrible.

That's my Number One complaint about the Pandoras Box lineup as well. The screen tearing drives me crazy! Come on guys - I'm not asking for a flawless Sega Model 3 emulation here. Just let me play some 2D pixel shmups and platformers without the playfield flickering as it scrolls.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The games have no vsync if they are getting screen tearing. Should they enable it say hello to some nice input lag.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I was stupid enough to grab one of the double joystick enclosures from 3A with the Pandoras 5 inside. It's not surprisingly junk. The stick is actually pretty impressive and the build quality is above standard for China...but that Pandoras Box....goddammmiiittt why can't they get this right? Everything has page tearing, some games just run like a slide show. It's terrible. I'll probably just put a raspberry pi in this thing and call it a day. At least salvage the stick.

A lot of people are doing this now, getting it just for the enclosure. Sucks to hear about the screen tearing, they should have been able to get this right by now.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
A lot of people are doing this now, getting it just for the enclosure. Sucks to hear about the screen tearing, they should have been able to get this right by now.

I agree! A $35 pi does a better job across the board...and the Pandora hardware is actually well made [speaking of appearance] and honestly LOOKS more expensive than a pi...so confusing...china....why china....whyyyy????

I honestly bought it more for the xbox 360 controller capabilities - but that doesn't even work...at all.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I agree! A $35 pi does a better job across the board...and the Pandora hardware is actually well made [speaking of appearance] and honestly LOOKS more expensive than a pi...so confusing...china....why china....whyyyy????

I honestly bought it more for the xbox 360 controller capabilities - but that doesn't even work...at all.

They're big on making these things look flashy and fancy to help them sell. They seem to have abandoned CGA support so they can focus putting these things in their shitty lcd clone cabs and sticks. "Play all your favorites on your LCD in HD!"

Hopefully pi2jamma starts taking off, or china figures out how to just use Pis with better emulation.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
Same here, I find it amazingly annoying to the point I dont bother playing it. My hacked original Xbox with coin ops emulates games better.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Has anyone who has bought the Pandoras Box 5s with the joystick enclosure been able to make it work on consoles? It claims to work on PS3/PC/360. It's half the reason I bought it - but I cannot get it to work with my 360 to save my life. Manual is shit - is there something I'm missing?

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Has anyone who has bought the Pandoras Box 5s with the joystick enclosure been able to make it work on consoles? It claims to work on PS3/PC/360. It's half the reason I bought it - but I cannot get it to work with my 360 to save my life. Manual is shit - is there something I'm missing?

Any controller adapter (in my experiences, PS2 and 3 to 360) for the 360 need an original Xbox controller for verification. Is the a USB port on the PB5 to plug in a wired 360 controller?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

The 5S is essentially a bootleg of a bootleg. Its essentially the image from the 4S dumped on a different PCB. The official release of these joysticks is only up to a Pandora Box 5 and they are put out by a company called HLE. I'm having a hard time finding one of these dual joysticks listed as a 5S that has the console functionality.

I would assume this is a packaging error that happens with alot of bootleg products. You really gotta research the hell out of these things before you buy them.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
The 5S is essentially a bootleg of a bootleg. Its essentially the image from the 4S dumped on a different PCB. The official release of these joysticks is only up to a Pandora Box 5 and they are put out by a company called HLE. I'm having a hard time finding one of these dual joysticks listed as a 5S that has the console functionality.

I would assume this is a packaging error that happens with alot of bootleg products. You really gotta research the hell out of these things before you buy them.

3A Game Store makes the official PCBs - which is who I bought from. After some emails back and forth with them, they basically just said it works for PS3 and PC not 360 (even though the manual clearly states it does) I bought a Mayflash adapter I am gonna try out and see if it will make it work. They basically just said in broken english it "needs more hardware" to work on 360. LOLCHINA

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got the Mayflash Universal adapter and it's legit. Most anything that has either a real PS3 mode or a Xinput mode works with it, but some generic USB input devices like my USB Saturn pads do not. I mostly just use it for 8bitdo pads to work on newer systems.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I've got the Mayflash Universal adapter and it's legit. Most anything that has either a real PS3 mode or a Xinput mode works with it, but some generic USB input devices like my USB Saturn pads do not. I mostly just use it for 8bitdo pads to work on newer systems.

Nice! If I can get this Pandoras stick to work on my 360 I will be ecstatic.