Options for getting better joysticks?

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Remind me to post my Panzer Neo Geo stick when I am done

I going to be sporting a Sanwa JLW, Seimitsu Buttons and some LED lights.

Nice choice of joystick and buttons, please post some pictures. I'm especially interested to see how LED lights would look with the Neo PFS

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
He also put blue leds in the start and select buttons when powered on look really cool. Sorry man but if I knew they wouldnt mess up I would open it for you no problem.
Got pictures of the outside then? I'm not much of a fan when it comes to LEDs, but this I would like to see :)

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Got pictures of the outside then? I'm not much of a fan when it comes to LEDs, but this I would like to see :)

Here you go man : )

I know I will get asked about the clear looking sticker over the Neo Geo logo. Its just 3M laminate, I put it over it because my hand was starting to wear down the letters where I played it so much.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member

I know I will get asked about the clear looking sticker over the Neo Geo logo. Its just 3M laminate, I put it over it because my hand was starting to wear down the letters where I played it so much.

The joystick looks sweet, do you know what is the model Seimitsu joystick ?

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The joystick looks sweet, do you know what is the model Seimitsu joystick ?

Thanks man, :cool: No I can't remember which model # they were. Maybe James aka: Xian Xi can chime in on that. He done the mods for me about 1 1/2 year ago. But, they are without a doubt the best sticks I have ever used and I have played with alot of them.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Nice. James does awesome work :) Thanks for the pics.

Hm, from the looks of it, I'd guess it's a Sanwa JLF.

@MCF: are you sure you didn't get Seimitsu buttons and a Sanwa joystick? I seem to somehow remeber that's James preferred combo.

I'm also looking at that link for research, it's a pretty comprehensive tutorial for modding the og stick. However, the stock shaft for the JLF is too long for that mod. I would prefer to use a stock Seimitsu (LS-40?) as the shaft is much shorter. Just don't know if it even fits...

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Nice. James does awesome work :) Thanks for the pics.

Hm, from the looks of it, I'd guess it's a Sanwa JLF.

@MCF: are you sure you didn't get Seimitsu buttons and a Sanwa joystick? I seem to somehow remeber that's James preferred combo.

Hey, it could have been. I honestly can't remember its been so long. What do you think of the LEDs just in the start and select buttons? I think it looks good, not too much going on.

xsq

What do you think of the LEDs just in the start and select buttons? I think it looks good, not too much going on.
Yeah, looks alright... But it's still too much for my taste. I'm odd that way.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager

I like the buttons but the red joystick seems a bit odd, reminds me of a clowns nose.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
If I may pick your mind for a minute - to those who've built or bought a controller would anyone be able to take some measurements? I'm in need of a joystick and after seeing the prices of AES controllers it looks like a custom project would be a smart choice. I don't want a metal box and can't find any kits online.

My other question would be if anyone has experience with these buttons? http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html

I'm familiar with Happ style convex buttons but cannot find translucent ones. I'd prefer something that can be backlit but for the sake of playability, comfort and reliability are a concern.

xsq

to those who've built or bought a controller would anyone be able to take some measurements?
Why/What do you need measurements of? If you build your own stick, you will make it custom, right?

also, surf over to slagcoin, there's tons of info to get you started.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
Why/What do you need measurements of? If you build your own stick, you will make it custom, right?

also, surf over to slagcoin, there's tons of info to get you started.

I need a starting point before I purchase any supplies. How deep must it be to fit the buttons and wiring, the width so that it's comfortable to use, the angle the top sits at, stuff like that. It will be custom enough but I'd like a controller similar to those custom pads you see on Ebay. I forget who makes them.

I'll see what that site has to offer.

xsq

Have you ever had a stick? If not, go buy a cheap one and see if you like it or what you would like to change. Maybe you find one where the layout suits you out of the box and only needs to be modified with different parts (like a Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-32 and new buttons). I recommend checking out the Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick.

A lot of your questions can be answered if you know how you find it comfortable to hold your hands while you play (button layout, distance between buttons and stick etc.). The depth is more a question of how you sit/where you will use your stick - other than that check out the dimension of the components you want to use (if you don't know these, buy the parts (sticks+buttons) first, then start planning the enclosure - take your time).
There are no definite answers to your questions I'm afraid.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
If I may pick your mind for a minute - to those who've built or bought a controller would anyone be able to take some measurements? I'm in need of a joystick and after seeing the prices of AES controllers it looks like a custom project would be a smart choice. I don't want a metal box and can't find any kits online.

My other question would be if anyone has experience with these buttons? http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html

I'm familiar with Happ style convex buttons but cannot find translucent ones. I'd prefer something that can be backlit but for the sake of playability, comfort and reliability are a concern.

Tek Innovations have a pretty cool custom case. It is made out of all plexi glass, which will look great with back lit buttons.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120

Last edited:

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
Have you ever had a stick? If not, go buy a cheap one and see if you like it or what you would like to change. Maybe you find one where the layout suits you out of the box and only needs to be modified with different parts (like a Sanwa JLF or Seimitsu LS-32 and new buttons). I recommend checking out the Agetec Dreamcast Arcade Stick.

A lot of your questions can be answered if you know how you find it comfortable to hold your hands while you play (button layout, distance between buttons and stick etc.). The depth is more a question of how you sit/where you will use your stick - other than that check out the dimension of the components you want to use (if you don't know these, buy the parts (sticks+buttons) first, then start planning the enclosure - take your time).
There are no definite answers to your questions I'm afraid.

Despite having a number of consoles, no the NG is the first one with a stick instead of a pad. It's not a terrible thing other than the squeaky buttons. My goal would be to get another controller for less than what they're selling for on Ebay. Being able to customize it a little is a bonus.

The default scheme is fine for me. That's why I asked for info here so I can start off from the specs everyone else has used. I did request some feedback on those buttons in the link.

Tek Innovations have a pretty cool custom case. It is made out of all plexi glass, which will look great with back lit buttons.

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=12&subcat=&item=120

That's definitely an interesting case. Not sure I could live with it for a long time.

xsq

Despite having a number of consoles, no the NG is the first one with a stick instead of a pad. It's not a terrible thing other than the squeaky buttons. My goal would be to get another controller for less than what they're selling for on Ebay. Being able to customize it a little is a bonus.

The default scheme is fine for me. That's why I asked for info here so I can start off from the specs everyone else has used. I did request some feedback on those buttons in the link.
I see. I don't know the buttons you have linked. Most people use the Sanwa or Seimitsu brand, mostly with 24mm diameter (Seimitsu PS-14-DN, for example). The two most famous sticks are the ones I mentioned earlier, Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu LS-32. I prefer Seimitsu buttons + JLF. I really recoomend reading through slagcoin, there's also some layouts and diameters to get you started from.

Which Neo Stick do you use btw.? Bean or Oldsytle? If you're generally comfortable with one of those layouts, have a look for the Hori Neo Sticks, which can be modified with different sticks/buttons also. Another option would be to get a really cheap stick just for the enclosure and put new parts into it and rewire it. Most sticks today come with 6+ buttons, but that can be changed to 4 with a custom faceplate etc. For your first project I would recommend that as a starting point - have a look around online, buy something cheap, take it apart and customize it from there.

As to the squeeky buttons on your Neo stick: both the oldstlye and bean can be easily modified with 24mm arcade buttons (the Seimitsus I mentioned earlier work fine with the oldstyle) - which makes a huge difference and I would recommend doing. Have a search around the forums, there are some threads on it.

Some other high end cases.
Well, I guess we just have different tastes :)

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
I don't know how new those Ultimarc buttons are. Yup I've seen those names mentioned many times but never used them.

I have the old style and if I was just keeping the one controller I'd swap the buttons and call it a day. My goal is to have a second controller and hopefully spend less than what used AES sticks are going for right now. Buying a modern stick to mod would be very easy except those things are $150 or more. The cheap sticks, well they're cheap for a reason ya know?

Oh that's not a problem. This might be my first controller but I've made some things in the past so I'm not worried about that part. I'll keep looking and try to make a decision.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It the stick and buttons that make them a good or bad stick, not how expensive they are. If they have no-name brand (or Happ) buttons, then they won't be very good (but still better than the control pad for the Neo). Some of the expensive sticks like Hori RAP are heavier (in terms of weight making it harder to accidently move them). and have more spacing between the stick and buttons. So that might make the real pro stick better than say, a Mayflash modded with Sanwa stick and buttons. But the stick and buttons are the most important parts.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
I meant the build quality of the enclosure. The sticks and buttons are easy to swap. A quick browse on Ebay shows all sorts of choices. The custom molded ones for PS1/PS2 won't work for me. The heavy duty fight sticks cost as much or more than AES sticks.

You don't like Happ? They've done well for me in the past. Concave is the most likely style to find in the US.

The box is what the entire controller is built from so that has to be right. Once I come across plans, a kit, or a good deal on something I can modify then I'll be set. I know better than to just run out and start hacking up chunks of wood and furiously attaching them together with screws. Ha.

xorthen

Banned
Hey I love the pics in this thread. I defintely need to upgrade to a custom stick guys.