Opinions on children in Samurai Shodown games?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I don't want to know a Terry Bogard who isn't really in the pink today. We should all be in the pink, but wear a wubba wubba when you do, you don't want a SNK STD.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Imagine if Fatal Fury was released as Legend of the Hungry Wolf in America. Yikes. Nah, I'm grateful the ridiculous translations existed.

It's interesting Mr. Karate II called them 'American translations', because isn't that wrong? The translations were all done in Japan. Hence the horrendous grammar mistakes. I'm sure there's a story behind who did the English translation for Neo-Geo games, but to what extent was SNK America involved?

SNK Japan wasn't translating only games for US audiences, the games that came out officially out of SNK's Brazil office have legendary mistranslations, some even feel like they came out of early scripts like Fatal Fury 3 since they are completely different from what the US versions say. Those are hilarious but it's not something I can really explain in english without losing what makes them funny.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I never liked them. I get why they were included but felt they were unnecessary. How about you, has the thought ever crossed your mind?

(looks like I can't make a poll)
They are trash. Usually augmented with magical powers to compensate for their lack of size, strength and experience. Shrill VAs, spammable moves.

Samurai showdown was supposed to be more like Ninja scroll....and in the ss64 games the tone/atmosphere was pretty much perfect.

Too many absters, saners, elixirs and tasukes steered it into waifu sim territory.

Same with kof.....94/95 were pretty gritty games iirc.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
It’s kinda whatever. I don’t find them that annoying but I really won’t play as one.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
They are trash. Usually augmented with magical powers to compensate for their lack of size, strength and experience. Shrill VAs, spammable moves.

Samurai showdown was supposed to be more like Ninja scroll....and in the ss64 games the tone/atmosphere was pretty much perfect.

Too many absters, saners, elixirs and tasukes steered it into waifu sim territory.

Same with kof.....94/95 were pretty gritty games iirc.
Hey Spoon how you holding up brother.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I never had problems with children fighting in Samurai Shodown. I don't know if it also applies but I also never had issues with children fighting against corrupt leaders in Progear, to name an example of fictional work where children fight against overwhelming odds. I like stories where children tackle issues by themselves but those are my two cents in the matter...

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Anyone else found it creepy that Yoshitora Tokugawa walked off with women and a small girl with little context explaining the situation? The character is set up as a womanizer. Is that kid supposed to be one of the girls one of his swords is named after?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210608-230539_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210608-230539_YouTube.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Maybe it's his illegitimate daughter or he just likes single mothers?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Anyone else found it creepy that Yoshitora Tokugawa walked off with women and a small girl with little context explaining the situation? The character is set up as a womanizer. Is that kid supposed to be one of the girls one of his swords is named after?
Any full blooded male can tell that’s his baby mama and love child.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
No guys I think the devs over at SNK wanted to imply that he's fucking a child :thevt:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Hey Spoon how you holding up brother.
I'm aight. Always nice popping in and running into my old homies here.
No guys I think the devs over at SNK wanted to imply that he's fucking a child :thevt:
Actually, I've brought this up a while back, offered evidence and safely concluded that yoshitora(the Samsho character) is a ped who was designed by a ped.

Edit: just to really drive the final nail in this coffin, I thought this shit was weird way back when ss5 came out (2003?), looked up Yoshi's character bio just to make sense of his intro/victory poses with the 6 women/children....it said all 6 were his girlfriends lol

Watsuki basically inserted a fantasy version of himself as a cool pedo swordsman Shogun lmfao....

Attachments

• Capture+_2021-06-11-00-23-00.png
    Capture+_2021-06-11-00-23-00.png
    643.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Capture+_2021-06-11-00-23-44.png
    Capture+_2021-06-11-00-23-44.png
    281.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
When it comes to realitly vs. fantasy in games, my preference leans towards realisim as the base of your material with little fantasy thrown in the mix. Just keep the fantasy part minimum, relevant and convincing. If you are adding kids in a fighting game roster for the sake of variety, at least make them look capable (design, personality and fighting style wise).

Characters I'm fine with: Makoto, Hokumotaru
Shit characters: Momoko, Hinako, Rimururu