Oni-Con 5 Houston, TX Dec 19th-21st

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well it is that time again. another convention. info below

Back for Year 5

Just when I thought I would run out of room they gave me even more space to work with so I will be doing my best to fill it again with some of the widest variety of gaming nirvana from Japan I can come up with.

New for 2008

Arcade

3 New Pachi-Slots
Taito X2 system
IGS PGM 2
Keyboard Mania 3 (upgrade from 2)
Many new arcade Titles and maybe a few surprises.

Console

SHMuPS (Shoot 'em Up) section

Many new titles straight from Japan

More TV’s, More Big Screens, More Games…

MISC

Fresh gaming video previews from Japan and other surprises

Back for another go

Neo Print (free play again while stickers last)

Large selection of console and arcade gaming all on free play

SNK-Capcom Sponsored Free tournaments

Console Beatmania

Handheld gaming area

Oni-Con sponsored Mini Free tournaments

Dedicated DDR area

Classic arcade games and Pinball brought over from the H.A.A.G

Tons of Prizes to be given away

Stay tuned for scheduling, game list and tournament information.

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as I enjoy putting it together, I look forward in seeing everyone again for this year

Phil
AKA Big Bruno

For the taito I will bring MIRA and Battle fantasies, maybe another game if I can get it. Here is a list of the arcade titles I have but of course can not bring all since it would be insane to swap games everytime someone wanted to play something else.

Naomi system: Guilty Gear xx,#reload, Slash..Capcom Vs SNK 2, Slash Out, Power stone, Azumange Dioh Puzzle bobble, Mealty Blood AC, virtual Tennis, Cannon spike, SF3 upper... all i can remember will probaly have slash and azumanga dioh on hand

Neo 50.. not taking this, not enought room in truck and screen is a bit off)

Neo 2 slot..puzzle games

Neo 4 slot...mix

Neo 6 slot mix

Neo print... holloween and christmas cart

keyboard mania 3

beat mania III (still working on this so it may not make it)

dynamo 25, maybe something from cave, spetral vs generator or a CPS II game

dynamo 29..same as above, my put back KI2 since I just upgrade it to ROM load

atomis wave cab, KOF NW, Rumble fish, fist of north star, maybe XI or RF2 if i get them.

Tatio cab (dynamo 33), KOF MIRA and Battle fantasies,

for consoles will setup brawl of course, a shump section (big screen), DDR section (Big Screen), on the 150' will rotate games. also will have several other consoles with other stuff. I have beatmania 9-14 with 15 on order

pachislots metal slug, fatal fury, kof nest, jet grind radio and samura shodown.

also will have a classic game section, usally some pinballs and classic games.

I think that is it, may also have a jukebox there filled with game and anime soundtracks.

of course I have tons of stuff to give away again.

phil

Last edited:

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I'll be there. Whoever wants to pet a sexy gorilla better show up :)

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
And this has to happen on the weekend on my birthday (Dec. 19). Oh well, you guys have fun for me this year.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Who knows, I could swing by for a day.

IIDX and 5key beatmania are among my favorite games.

MonoTekETeA

NEST Puppet
I help run the game room at Anime Next, and your list makes me envyous Bruno. Try and get some pictures up, I would love to see your setup.

DanAdam, you should make it over there, that sounds pretty bad ass, and something worth your time. A jukebox full of Game and J-Tunes is an amazing idea, and all those cabs...I need more space in my house to stock stuff, lol.

-Jeremy

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I help run the game room at Anime Next, and your list makes me envyous Bruno. Try and get some pictures up, I would love to see your setup.

DanAdam, you should make it over there, that sounds pretty bad ass, and something worth your time. A jukebox full of Game and J-Tunes is an amazing idea, and all those cabs...I need more space in my house to stock stuff, lol.

-Jeremy
It's always a good time playing in public. I can only pass a handful of 10s in IIDX but damn if it doesn't put a smile on my face when it ends up impressing a newb :lolz:

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Here the histroy with links to the pictures

Oni-Cade History in Pictures

Sure you can PM me

BTW I am also taking some volunteers, need someone to help run some tournaments and such.

Since I am on the ground floor this year they are going to Tie me into the PA system on the exhibition hall. I am sure everyone will love to here me calling games, i need to get a girl with a sexy voice to do it.....Or Giby ;)

Last edited:

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
I was doing it last year, and I don't mind doing it this year.

Dan, if you show up, I'll give you some of my hair :)

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I was doing it last year, and I don't mind doing it this year.

Dan, if you show up, I'll give you some of my hair :)

Yeah I know. However though really I do not mind announcing games like "Street fighter 3rd stirke tournement will be starting in 15 min" but thought it was silly to start saying "is Rabid Weasel here........Goku......ETC" i may get our sound and lighting guys to just give me a bull horn to pass around for that and use the sound system for the game start times. ANyway it is cheaper doing this then to buy the equipment and store it.

another thing we are taking up the whole concert hall this year so they are planing some crazy stuff for the room. although I probably will never be able to see it accept to do opening and closing. Hopefully I can get some sleep this year, I am getting kinda old....

Phil

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
here is my console line up on what I am bringing

Japanese WII system w/
Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX 3
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes (if it arrives in time, which this should)

Sony PSP (for those brave enough to challenge me adhoc :) )
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (If it comes in time)
Higurashi Daybreak Portable

2 Japanese PS/2
SHMUPS glory (will only bring some of the more famous one)
D.O.N.
Beatmania's
Fate /ultimate codes (if it comes in time)
possible need to pull for tournament play at times

2 US PS/2
one Dedicated to DDR

Japanese XBOX360
Otomedius Gorgeous
Japanese XBOX live titles
Used for Japanese dvd play

1-2 US Wii's

SSB Brawl

US PS/3
*TBA*

US XBOX 360
*TBA*

TV's confirmed

150' Projection screen
60' Projection TV
50' Projection TV
50' Plasma
13' Samsung GX TV
22' LCD TV (for SHMUPS not on Big screen)
3-4 19' TV's

Should also have additional from our Sponosors like always (Note confirmed more tv's now it is all a mater of what I can fit in my truck :) )

Last edited:

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom just arrived this morning. will have it at the convention for play and show.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom just arrived this morning. will have it at the convention for play and show.

I am officially envious of you guys. One day, I'll return to Oni-con. Until then, have fun!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Phil, I'm looking forward to seeing you again. That Neogeo Freak magazine you gave me is still one of my favorite Neo collectibles :). MS2 and RB2 :drool: And meeting Hibikster and Giby. This is gonna be tight.

Alright so I think I'm gonna try to go all three days. Not being there constantly but probably from the afternoon til late night. My brother is probably gonna tag along some too.

I'm gonna have my IIDX shit in my car and probably haul it into the con if we need it.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I am officially envious of you guys. One day, I'll return to Oni-con. Until then, have fun!

Phil, I'm looking forward to seeing you again. That Neogeo Freak magazine you gave me is still one of my favorite Neo collectibles :). MS2 and RB2 :drool: And meeting Hibikster and Giby. This is gonna be tight.

Alright so I think I'm gonna try to go all three days. Not being there constantly but probably from the afternoon til late night. My brother is probably gonna tag along some too.

I'm gonna have my IIDX shit in my car and probably haul it into the con if we need it.

awesome,

yes bring your IIDX stuff, I have 1 of the large Beatmania controllers but would be cool if we had 2, unless a miracle happens BM3 will not make it. I can get it to boot but can not get the controllers up.

Domino-chan,

yes you need to come again, When you did come it was our worst year (with the hotel) made some big leaps since then and the hilton americas is a much better hotel.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
awesome,

yes bring your IIDX stuff, I have 1 of the large Beatmania controllers but would be cool if we had 2, unless a miracle happens BM3 will not make it. I can get it to boot but can not get the controllers up.

Domino-chan,

yes you need to come again, When you did come it was our worst year (with the hotel) made some big leaps since then and the hilton americas is a much better hotel.

I have two US controllers in good condition and one in absolute crap condition (probably won't bring that one), and I made backups of 3rd-14th (I own all of them honestly), and I'll have my PS2. I'm not OK with leaving my controllers there at the con, but I'll let them sit in the gameroom while I'm there.

I would love to play BM3 but I know that's a big undertaking to have it up and running.

BTW my friend JonZ will be there, one of Texas' top IIDX players.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Sweet deal Dan, I'll see you there.

You can't miss me. I'll be cosplaying as Khushnood Butt in his D alt uniform. :)

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
I have two US controllers in good condition and one in absolute crap condition (probably won't bring that one), and I made backups of 3rd-14th (I own all of them honestly), and I'll have my PS2. I'm not OK with leaving my controllers there at the con, but I'll let them sit in the gameroom while I'm there.

I would love to play BM3 but I know that's a big undertaking to have it up and running.

BTW my friend JonZ will be there, one of Texas' top IIDX players.

No biggie. I have 1 large beatmania controller and several of the smaller ones that came out here so was only looking for another one of the larger one. I also have beatmania 8-14 with 15 on the way, however I do not let backup play in the room. sorry just my policy on the game room

Sweet deal Dan, I'll see you there.

You can't miss me. I'll be cosplaying as Khushnood Butt in his D alt uniform. :)

uh.........you did not tell me you would be dressing up, I may have to ban you from coming :)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Why can't we have these in MN. (We've got our gatherings) :(

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
No biggie. I have 1 large beatmania controller and several of the smaller ones that came out here so was only looking for another one of the larger one. I also have beatmania 8-14 with 15 on the way, however I do not let backup play in the room. sorry just my policy on the game room

uh.........you did not tell me you would be dressing up, I may have to ban you from coming :)
"Large"? That a Konami ASC? DJDao ASC? Ransai? Desktop Arcade? Oh great now you have me all excited.

I wish I could afford one of those dude... truthfully though the smaller size is easier to play on, ah well that's just semantics.

If you need them and insist I can bring my originals with me, but jeez if that's not a huge hassle. One binder with 12 DVDs takes up way less space than 12 DVD cases, and I don't risk anything happening to my originals at the con. 8-14 is a good selection though, I'm stupid though and 3rd and 6th are two of my absolute faves, I'd probably hog those if they were there hahaha.

edit: I could have a joke cosplay lined up. We'll see what happens with that.

edit2: Phil, try to have a handtowel near the tv that IIDX will be on. Experts use it a lot as a speed-regulation tool. I'll have mine in the car just in case.

Last edited:

Giby

Disciple Of Orochi
Sexy, Adam, we finally get to meet. I'm trying to contact all of my Houston buddies, but it seems I may only get to hang out with one or two.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Why can't we have these in MN. (We've got our gatherings) :(

Different reasons for different places.

In LA/So Cal, no one has enough room at any given time.

In TX, there's too much room at almost every given time.

But at least you have your gatherings.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Phil, I guess I'll offer this. Do you need a Pop'n Music controller? I have a DJ Dao Arcade Style Pop'n Music Controller for PS2 that I could bring with me each day, should you need it.

It's gigantic, so it's a lot to have with me. Let me know if you're interested.

edit: Giby, I'm hoping one of those buddies is Qube. I can't get ahold of him.

And there's plenty of meetups outside of cons here in Texas. I'm pretty damned spoiled, ahahaha.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Domino-chan,

It was pretty damn fun for a bad year, if you ask me.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
"Large"? That a Konami ASC? .

yeah the big konami one

pop n music, I do not have any of those, when I was in japan a saw the PC version of the a pop n music and it came with the controls on the mouse (it had the buttons to play the game under a plastic cover you lifted up on the palm rest of the mouse) . I came very close to getting it but passed since it was pc

anyway also just picked up these, I am not going to say they will all make it though since I still need to check them out

sfuc.jpg

got my jukebox

jukebox.jpg