One year since.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I just don't know what to post that hasn't already been posted.

I'm just very thankful that I'm one of the fortunate ones. It really puts it in perspective when you look out the window and see a vacant lot across the street, at one time there being a home. Or when one day you read the paper and the house on the front page, burglarized by looters, is the one a street over. And this was one of the areas that wasn't hit as bad. I can't imagine how anyone in Slidell or the New Orleans area must feel.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It took us five years to get shit back to normal after the May 3rd, 1999 tornado.

Given that this disaster was on a much grander scale, it'll probably take a decade until the NO area is restored to some semblence of it's former self.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
The bullshit in the media obscures the fact that the recovery is what matters.

You can't point fingers unless you're an ass that doesn't understand people need to get back to normal.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i listened to the diane ream show (she sounds like she should just die already)
and they talked about the public schools now getting about 2 billion
for education and rebuilding the public school system.
and i thought it was a funny irony from the LA schools going from the
some of the very worst to, well, hopefully better and that a good
amount of people have left LA and relocated to find a better life
elsewhere, like here in texas.
anyways, happy you're okay major tom.

aria

Former Moderator
While anything organized by the government is inherently clumsy, at least things are moving forward. I've got a conference in NO this November, I'm looking forward to visiting and putting dollars into the economy.

One of the things that troubles me is the political pressure that's led to a lot of wise engineering recommendations (on rebuilding destroyed structures) from being required.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Bobak said:
While anything organized by the government is inherently clumsy

Whooooaaaaaa there big fella!!

You're sounding like a Republican there.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The amount of destruction in New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast boggles my mind.

I can't even begin to comprehend all the work it is going to take to rebuild.

It's like, where the fuck do you even begin? All those houses underwater in NO, those aren't safe for habitation - you can't even repair damage like that. It'd be cheaper to rebuild a new house - but who has that kind of money?

I'd think the Federal, State, and Local governments would be starting up some massive public works projects to at least clean up. You don't need a fucking professional to swing a hammer, use a broom, or dig a hole.

Ah well, probably a good thing i'm not in charge.

aria

Former Moderator
galfordo said:
Whooooaaaaaa there big fella!!

You're sounding like a Republican there.

But the government is still than private enterprise will ever be in these situations.

{whew!}

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Bobak said:
But the government is still than private enterprise will ever be in these situations.

{whew!}
ahem.....(better)

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
If Republicans had there way, they'd just up and turn NO into the next great lake and make sure no one ever voted there again...

...wait.

(rimshot)

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Any of you catch Spike Lee's "When The Levees Broke" Documentary on HBO? Great stuff IMO and I hope it comes to DVD.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Hidden Character said:
Any of you catch Spike Lee's "When The Levees Broke" Documentary on HBO? Great stuff IMO and I hope it comes to DVD.

Does it show GWB dynamiting the levees?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BoriquaSNK said:
If Republicans had there way, they'd just up and turn NO into the next great lake and make sure no one ever voted there again...

...wait.

(rimshot)

Not really.

Several Refugees/Evacuees have landed in areas where Republicans hold a slight grip such as Greater ATL and HOuston.