OK, this outs me as old, BUT...

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I totally miss Johnny Carson.
As much as I enjoy Conan, no one really comes close to being that kind of an absolutely dominant late-night personality. It's true that all the industrial and technological shifts have left the broadcast landscape radically different from his era, but the guy was literally America's bedtime for DECADES. He was a brilliant comedic mind.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I remember watching his show after the NBA playoffs when Leno was prepping to take over and honestly, I don't miss him.

I miss Craig Kilborn. He made the Daily Show watchable. Not the liberal vag bloodfart fest that it is today.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I completely disagree here. Johnny Carson is one of the most overrated talkshow hosts. If you go back and watch any random episode, it's awful. He gives shit interviews, and gives comics zero respect. He's a complete asshole, and I think it's hilarious that Wayne Newton was going to beat the living shit out of him for trying to call him gay, and Carson denied it like a little pussy. I'd seriously take Jimmy Fallon over Carson.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
My earliest memories of late night talk involve Arsenio Hall... I thought his show was shit, even as a kid.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I totally miss Johnny Carson.
Wow, you must be even 10 years older than me. Because I remember Carson late night. And the final 10 years of his show consisted entirely of him making awkward jokes about how his jokes failed. He tells a flat joke met by complete silence, then reacts to the silence with a self-depreciating remark or silent stare into camera, which then causes audience to laugh, repeat repeat repeat.

Still better than Leno by a million percent, whatever that is worth, but whatever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
what's amazing is how SNL is such shit but these late night shows are better than all of them

great writers, man