Oh great they're grading VHS tapes now...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I believe someone here (Orpheus?) mentioned being contacted by someone about buying sealed VHS tapes on eBay a while ago. That the person that contacted them said they were looking for specific titles and that they were somehow connected to one of grading/auction companies. At the beginning of the year I was selling off the last of my Laserdisc collection and was also contacted by someone about the same thing. Well it looks like they were gearing up for the next scam, a copy of Back to the Future recently sold for $75,000.00.

Next, It'll be CDs mark my words.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yea, they are going to use the Back to the Future to fuel speculation. Nothing to see here tho. This will not be a long term market.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Oh shit!
I've got a bunch of anime VHS from back when.
Maybe some weeb will give me money.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yea, they are going to use the Back to the Future to fuel speculation. Nothing to see here tho. This will not be a long term market.
Pretty much. It's just so transparent and scummy.

Especially since they're doing the same thing that they did with games where it's not about how rare the item actually is, it's all about the nostalgia and recognizability to a certain demographic.

BTTF=Mario

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Of all the older formats VHS just doesn’t make sense to me. It’s pure nostalgia and you can’t even make a claim with respect to superior/intended visuals.

VHS/Beta/etc was always an inferior port.

There is an argument to be made that older retro games look best on a CRT as they were designed with CRT quirks and characteristics in mind, but VHS is just an inferior port of actual film.

Great technology at the time of course.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
These guys are just betting on this stuff, it's speculative investment at best. Same as NFTs. You're not really paying for the item you're paying for the fact that it's graded and hyped. Could just as well be a regular deck of playing cards or a tootsie roll in the plastic case but if it's sealed, graded and a really high grade chances are you can find someone stupid enough to buy it before the market eats itself.

It's a fake sale for free publicity anyways. Just like the highly publicized gaming auctions, these jerkoffs are all in on it behind the scenes.

It's a rigged game though because the only way someone who's not in on it can sell it for actual profit is through the same people that sold it to them. No one wins except them. By the time they get their commissions on both ends they fucked you coming and going.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
These guys are just betting on this stuff, it's speculative investment at best. Same as NFTs. You're not really paying for the item you're paying for the fact that it's graded and hyped. Could just as well be a regular deck of playing cards or a tootsie roll in the plastic case but if it's sealed, graded and a really high grade chances are you can find someone stupid enough to buy it before the market eats itself.

It's a fake sale for free publicity anyways. Just like the highly publicized gaming auctions, these jerkoffs are all in on it behind the scenes.

It's a rigged game though because the only way someone who's not in on it can sell it for actual profit is through the same people that sold it to them. No one wins except them. By the time they get their commissions on both ends they fucked you coming and going.
Too much food

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

Not a tootsie roll but...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The world is full of idiots.

Who the fuck pays $75k for a VHS tape??? I wanna see graded LD's next.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Are VHS tapes part of the lofi craze, like audio cassettes?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I dunno, seeing the prices on audio cassette tapes and CRTs now, two things I never thought I'd see jump up in price says we could see a surge in VHS. I look at VHS tapes here and there when I'm thrifting but have never picked anything up. I'm sure someone is sitting with a treasure trove of never released on DVD/Blu-Ray stuff or rare anime that can make a killing. Problem being that some of this stuff is stuck in copyright hell and/or losing original sources could equal crazy prices.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I believe someone here (Orpheus?) mentioned being contacted by someone about buying sealed VHS tapes on eBay a while ago. That the person that contacted them said they were looking for specific titles and that they were somehow connected to one of grading/auction companies. At the beginning of the year I was selling off the last of my Laserdisc collection and was also contacted by someone about the same thing. Well it looks like they were gearing up for the next scam, a copy of Back to the Future recently sold for $75,000.00.

Next, It'll be CDs mark my words.

Yeah, that was me. I sold him my sealed Alien tapes (3rd & 4th print w/ sealed trilogy s a bonus) for $1,900.

He said they were stocking up on high end action, adventure, sci-fi & horror titles for when they pulled the trigger at the auction block.

When I spoke to an auction house or two at last years NY comic con they said they were actively searching for industry vets w/ first hand experience in order to get as many facts & info confirmed before they went live with the format full bore.

.......so in essence I am not to surprised to hear about high dollar auctions. Personally, I don't care much. Anyone putting bids in on these things should know what they are getting into these days. These auction houses are cut throat &, whether doing shit either shady or illegal, look to create a current of hype to juice the auction scene up.

I'm just glad I never cracked my Alien tapes open. I just bought them for a buck or so at a thrift store about 2 years back as a novelty so I was content making some coin in the end.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I just bought them for a buck or so at a thrift store about 2 years back as a novelty so I was content making some coin in the end.

So you're saying we should all start looking for sealed VHS tapes so we can get an easy $2k?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
When's the last time you guys actually watched a VHS?

Lofi craze or not they're just awful. Nostalgia factor is strong but that is one piece better left in the past.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Properly grading a VHS tape seems next to impossible to me, at least it wouldn't be financially feasible. Every inch of the tape itself would have to be inspected and scanned for proper magnetic density which probably would take days if you want to do it right. I call bullshit.

Fuck the graders and the people who support them.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
There’s people on Reddit wanking over the ‘rare’ PAL only release of Revenge of the Sith on VHS.

FFS :keke:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
vhs aren't worth thousands of dollar and neither is super mario bros.
we were all glad when they finally died and DVD became the new standard

just another scam by the likes of WATA and associated grifters

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
When's the last time you guys actually watched a VHS?

Lofi craze or not they're just awful. Nostalgia factor is strong but that is one piece better left in the past.
Whats up terry.330, there’s a lot of badass japan-only 80’s mecha anime that is locked in this format that I still watch often.

For example, a lot of Masami Obari’s early work like D-1 Devastator is trapped on VHS/LD along with the animes for Ninja Gaiden, Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei, Samurai Spirits 2 Asura Zanmaden, SNK’s Neo Geo home video releases, etc.

Hell, even Sega’s Landlock anime was trapped in these ancient formats:

E355253D-D80C-4000-A1B7-B9415B1AC62D.jpeg

Last edited: