OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Interesting.

My assumption was it was a changeling but somehow “split” between Vadic and Jack, with it needing the part from Jack back to become whole.

Guess we have a lot more to learn.
I thought so too, but floaty goop head refers to changelings in a somewhat derogatory manner that are beneath him/it, and somehow was able to interfere with Vadic's ability to maintain shape.

I'm shocked that not one person has broke NDA and spoiled the show for us yet.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah it will be interesting to see. I’m still guessing there is some inner changeling conflict and one faction is somehow these mutated/altered changelings. Perhaps even more than one form?

Or perhaps the changelings encountered a superior shape shifting species that subjugated them. That would be richly ironic.

There has to be something to the changelings new abilities. I think it’s be silly if they just learned to shape shift better.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Finally got around to watching the first 6 episodes, and now I see what Fygee meant about it being either TNG season 8 or the 5th TNG movie. Quality-wise, Picard season 3 occupies a space somewhere in-between that leans closer to one or the other, episode by episode. But all of it definitely better than any of the TNG movies, which makes it good enough to watch and enjoy. Solid enough that I'm content to see where it goes, but I do hope the Moriarty AI was able to hitch a ride in the positronic brain and is cohabitating with Data, Lore, and B-4.

On a side note, it's been kind of fun trying to decipher the clues in the closing credits as to what's coming in future episodes.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Compared to the previous two turds of a season (especially the second), S3 is really, really good.
Sure is heavy on memberberries though, but at least it seems like the writers actually did watch Star Trek at some point in their lives.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Finally got around to watching the first 6 episodes, and now I see what Fygee meant about it being either TNG season 8 or the 5th TNG movie. Quality-wise, Picard season 3 occupies a space somewhere in-between that leans closer to one or the other, episode by episode. But all of it definitely better than any of the TNG movies, which makes it good enough to watch and enjoy. Solid enough that I'm content to see where it goes, but I do hope the Moriarty AI was able to hitch a ride in the positronic brain and is cohabitating with Data, Lore, and B-4.

On a side note, it's been kind of fun trying to decipher the clues in the closing credits as to what's coming in future episodes.
Glad to see you're enjoying it!

I'm wondering how many more clues are left in the end credits. The two that still stick out are the computer diagram that has that weird, hexagonal looking shape (same one Jack made when he was fiddling with the straw in Ten Forward a few episodes ago), and the ships circling around for Frontier Day.

Next episode is titled Dominion.

New trailer, promo photos, and episode description also have some more hints.

Spoiler:
The Titan becomes crippled again somehow, but it may just be a fakeout to lure the Shrike to them for some reason. Lore makes trouble for Geordi. Sydney LaForge gets taken by the Changelings and is brutally forced into a forcefield head first in a hallway. Picard and Blazing Bev phaser a changeling in sickbay. Vadic accuses the Federation of taking her family, and now she's going to take theirs. Computer screen in sickbay shows something called Proteus Project. Proteus, according to Wikipedia, is an ancient Greek sea god who changes his shape, and only answers to those who can capture him. Safe bet this confirms some kind of secret Starfleet genetic tinkering involving changelings.

Terry dropped a big hint on Twitter we're also going to find out why the Changelings we're seeing are different than the ones we knew before.

People that watched the screeners say that episodes 7 and 8 work best when watched together, which means it'll end fairly open ended until next week.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I know, right? I see why people that saw the screeners said 7 and 8 are best as a pair after the way 7 ended.

Hell of an episode.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was glad we got a bit of some story details…but still many more to be answered and even some new questions with regard to Jack.

Seeing Tuvok was pretty cool even if it wasn’t really him.

Do you think we’ll actually see Janeway?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I was glad we got a bit of some story details…but still many more to be answered and even some new questions with regard to Jack.

Seeing Tuvok was pretty cool even if it wasn’t really him.

Do you think we’ll actually see Janeway?
Janeway's probably busy off screen drowning puppies or genociding some peaceful primitives

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Damn, is it next week yet?
This

Edit: anyone else scratch their heads over the fact they didn't at all touch on the the Troi hostage/Riker situation?

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lore is the tits as usual.

It’s such a testament to Spiner’s abilities. Damn if he doesn’t just instantly settle back in to Data then alternate to Lore, and back again.

I am wondering where this current Data/Lore storyline is going. Data’s story was really settled for me in Picard S1.

So initially It feels like backpedaling a bit but I am thinking we’re going to see a merging of Data and Lore, creating a new android. Not sure if they’re going for a whole duality of man thing or what. Possibly hinted at with Picard and Crusher possibly going to murder Vadic in cold blood.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Edit: anyone else scratch their heads over the fact they didn't at all touch on the the Troi hostage/Riker situation?

I’m thinking next episode. No clue how the gang is going to get out of their current situation, but I’m guessing Picard and crew are going to steal the Shrike.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This

I believe there was a line from Vadic who said something like they never gave up the goods after being interrogated. Kind of a throwaway line but yeah.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It’s such a testament to Spiner’s abilities. Damn if he doesn’t just instantly settle back in to Data then alternate to Lore, and back again.

I am wondering where this current Data/Lore storyline is going. Data’s story was really settled for me in Picard S1.

So initially It feels like backpedaling a bit but I am thinking we’re going to see a merging of Data and Lore, creating a new android. Not sure if they’re going for a whole duality of man thing or what. Possibly hinted at with Picard and Crusher possibly going to murder Vadic in cold blood.

I couldn't do S1, what happened with Data's storyline on that season?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I couldn't do S1, what happened with Data's storyline on that season?

Basically, he died.

It was discovered that were were some superadvanced synthetics (which were banned because of some attack several years prior) and there was this not-very-good-looking-girl that found her way to Picard, turns out shes a synth but didn't know (all Bladerunner over here), and there was some conspiracy with Romulans and synths or some AI thing that was never really fleshed out. Turns out this girl is sort of like Lal, Data's daughter. She dies, but then her exact twin shows up and basically pulls a Landfill from Beerfest. "Im Landfills twin brother, but I can take his place on the team, and you can just call me Landfill!"

They find a planet that is inhabited by synths and Data's half brother (who looks exactly like him and Lore/Data/etc) Alton Soong who was creating them.

Something something they betray Picard, something something they resolved it, Picard 'dies' but gets a synth body meant for Alton Soong who sacrifices himself for that. Come to find that Data's consciousness has been living in a holographic world (kind of like Moriarty in Ship in a Bottle). Picard jacks into the holoprojector, talks to Data's consciousness who reveals he wants to die since it will make him more human.

Data dies. Season 1 ends. Season 2 is crap.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Basically, he died.

It was discovered that were were some superadvanced synthetics (which were banned because of some attack several years prior) and there was this not-very-good-looking-girl that found her way to Picard, turns out shes a synth but didn't know (all Bladerunner over here), and there was some conspiracy with Romulans and synths or some AI thing that was never really fleshed out. Turns out this girl is sort of like Lal, Data's daughter. She dies, but then her exact twin shows up and basically pulls a Landfill from Beerfest. "Im Landfills twin brother, but I can take his place on the team, and you can just call me Landfill!"

They find a planet that is inhabited by synths and Data's half brother (who looks exactly like him and Lore/Data/etc) Alton Soong who was creating them.

Something something they betray Picard, something something they resolved it, Picard 'dies' but gets a synth body meant for Alton Soong who sacrifices himself for that. Come to find that Data's consciousness has been living in a holographic world (kind of like Moriarty in Ship in a Bottle). Picard jacks into the holoprojector, talks to Data's consciousness who reveals he wants to die since it will make him more human.

Data dies. Season 1 ends. Season 2 is crap.

that helps tremendously as I was confused by them stealing "Picard's body" in this season. Thanks for that.

Fygee

20 Year Member

I think that's exactly where they're going. Lore and Data will merge into one. Geordi will figure it out somehow.

The fact that Data is back, at least to me, just shows how unique a synthetic life form can be. Data reborn from a literal data backup. Something that cannot be done with a human. It's the sort of thing that I hope they explore more of and is very Trek at it's core. I really dig it.

Picard and Crusher making the decision to execute Vadic, especially while she's clearly listening in, was some pretty powerful stuff. I read this morning that of everything that was discussed and debated in the writer's room, this was the that was the most, nearly up to the point of the episode being aired (which makes me think there was an alternate scene filmed where they went the other way). The fact that both were willing to compromise what they've believed in and fought for for so long to protect their son, the ships crew, and potentially all of the Federation is the exact kind of morality play I love to see in Trek.

I do have two minor complaints. Why are all phasers now "pew pew" phasers and not beam ones like we've come to know in TNG for so long, and why did some shots vaporize changelings but others don't? If you're looking to kill, so there's no reason to set your phaser to "sort of kill" for some and "no, really, u die now" for others.

I also think it's a little weird how Changelings are basically holding back every time they fight. They don't shoot their phasers as aggressively (especially the scene where the one was chasing down Sydney and had five seconds of time with the easiest shot in the world, but didn't bother), and they also fight with hand to hand combat instead of making a sword out of their arm, or something else point and hurty to stab with. I get it, service of the plot, Hollywood, yada yada, but considering how well crafted and considerate of avoiding dumb stuff the season has been so far, it's pretty glaring.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I think that's exactly where they're going. Lore and Data will merge into one. Geordi will figure it out somehow.

The fact that Data is back, at least to me, just shows how unique a synthetic life form can be. Data reborn from a literal data backup. Something that cannot be done with a human. It's the sort of thing that I hope they explore more of and is very Trek at it's core. I really dig it.

Picard and Crusher making the decision to execute Vadic, especially while she's clearly listening in, was some pretty powerful stuff. I read this morning that of everything that was discussed and debated in the writer's room, this was the that was the most, nearly up to the point of the episode being aired (which makes me think there was an alternate scene filmed where they went the other way). The fact that both were willing to compromise what they've believed in and fought for for so long to protect their son, the ships crew, and potentially all of the Federation is the exact kind of morality play I love to see in Trek.

I do have two minor complaints. Why are all phasers now "pew pew" phasers and not beam ones like we've come to know in TNG for so long, and why did some shots vaporize changelings but others don't? If you're looking to kill, so there's no reason to set your phaser to "sort of kill" for some and "no, really, u die now" for others.

I also think it's a little weird how Changelings are basically holding back every time they fight. They don't shoot their phasers as aggressively (especially the scene where the one was chasing down Sydney and had five seconds of time with the easiest shot in the world, but didn't bother), and they also fight with hand to hand combat instead of making a sword out of their arm, or something else point and hurty to stab with. I get it, service of the plot, Hollywood, yada yada, but considering how well crafted and considerate of avoiding dumb stuff the season has been so far, it's pretty glaring.

Great points - I was also annoyed with Vadic mentioning hearing footsteps on CONCRETE in the space station. Minor thing.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Great points - I was also annoyed with Vadic mentioning hearing footsteps on CONCRETE in the space station. Minor thing.
She's prone to metaphor and pretty bonkers, so I'll chalk it up to that.

I was actually more bothered by a cart on wheels. The Federation has plenty of anti-gravity floaty things to move stuff. Maybe Section 31's budget got cut.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
She's prone to metaphor and pretty bonkers, so I'll chalk it up to that.

I was actually more bothered by a cart on wheels. The Federation has plenty of anti-gravity floaty things to move stuff. Maybe Section 31's budget got cut.
hahaha good point - there have been a few flubs here and there but nothing that pulls me out too much beyond my nerd commentary before pushing up my taped together glasses.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
On some real depressing shit I just learned the guy who played Alexander, John Paul Steur, killed himself a few years back. He was 33. Damn.