OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Like most sci fi shows, the Voyager characters eventually mesh well together. Voyager is good because the overarching story feels like the early seasons of BSG. They are getting beat up and pounded and just barely escaping. Enemies are constantly on their tail, and they are just trying to survive and get home.

It falls apart fo me with all the tachyon particle time shift travel episodes, but ultimately that is how the show culminates so it kind of ties together.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Voyager is a show of lost potential.

The Gilligan's Island comparison is apt. Any episode where they were could make it home was doomed to failure. Fine to have one or two, but they went down that road too many times.

The ship looks shiny and new every episode, with an endless supply of shuttlecraft to get destroyed. They imply or center episodes around resource shortages, but it's never actually reflected on the show long term.

Only red shirts die as per Trek tradition, lowering the threat and tension (unless you count Harry Kim, who was replaced with Harry Kim).

"Year of Hell" showed what should have happened over it's run. A ship that's been through hell. Showing lots of wear and damage. Low resources. Crew lost. Still persevering and being true to Starfleet despite it all.

Aliens were mostly more of the usual "nose or forehead piece of the week". Every now and then they'd get creative with them like with the Hirogen, Species 8472, and those (compared to now) terrible CGI macro-viruses, but it was mostly just TNG regurgitated.

The Borg got neutered big time.

The finale was incomplete. The episodes and ultimate resolution were great, but the show basically just ends with "they made it" and that's it. Nothing with them celebrating being home. No Starfleet parade. No post scripts on what they did or where they went once they made it home.

Honestly, it is and was my least favorite Trek series, though re-watching it a couple years ago after only previously seeing it when it first aired, I did appreciate it more.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
They imply or center episodes around resource shortages, but it's never actually reflected on the show long term.
You're forgetting the endlessly hilarious food jokes
'Neelix has made a Burillian mountain goat foreskin stew'
'I think I'll leave it!'
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Edit - I'm going to add this though, I did kind of like the Janeway/Chakotay will they/won't they running theme

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Voyager suffers at times from Gilligan’s Island syndrome. Wacky attempts to get back to the Alpha quadrant but you know they’re always going to fail. They’re always going to be stuck on the Island because otherwise the show would end.

The idea of integrating the Starfleet and Maquis crew was decent but a lot of the characters are kind of weak. I mean does anyone like ensign Harry? Tom Paris? Tuvok? Did you like Chakote after his 10th vision quest? They’re all kind of boring.

Lack of familiarity was also a problem. You introduce a species…but then they keep flying away and we never meet them again.

So they threw in the Borg. Ugh. In their defense the Borg are said to be from the delta quadrant.

Too bad they never found the machine planet Voyager 6 was from (maybe they did and I missed it.)

Oh wel, Voyager does have the most ridiculous Trek episode of all time: Did you know in ancient prehistory there was a species of dinosaurs on earth who were a technological civilization that escaped Earth before the meteor destroyed it? (They had advanced space flight and generation ships but couldn’t destroy the space threat…? Don’t think about it too much.) The plot of the episode is basically
Planet of the Apes but with dinosaurs.

No. No no, that one is not the most ridiculous. Not by a long shot. That would be Threshold.

Spoiler - Janeway and Paris have worm babies they leave on another planet and they abandon them.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Not to mention Janeway's perpetual worries about her supply of coffee.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Welp I’m watching this one tonight lol
Honestly the one you mentioned with the advanced Dinos, I actually liked it because it reminded me of the Reptites in Chronotrigger.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Honestly the one you mentioned with the advanced Dinos, I actually liked it because it reminded me of the Reptites in Chronotrigger.

Oh, I don’t hate it either. I liked it because It’s basically Planet of Apes with a twist, except perhaps it’s the Dino’s who have regressed with their fanatic religious beliefs.

In terms of fantasy races I really like Lizard men. I hope we get to see the Gorn in Strange New Worlds because they do mention them (even though in TOS Kirk and crew had never seen or even heard of a Gorn before he had to fight one in The Arena.) I’m sure they’ll retcon it but I believe at some point the Gorn confederation are allied with the Federation.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Oh, I don’t hate it either. I liked it because It’s basically Planet of Apes with a twist, except perhaps it’s the Dino’s who have regressed with their fanatic religious beliefs.
Doctor Who's writers did that ancestral Earth dino shit first, with the recurring threat of the hibernating Silurians(& later Sea Devils), at least 25 years before ST: Voyager debuted on tv.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
FFS.

One of the characters on Strange New World is Lt. Noonien-Singh. I thought she was a throwaway character and didn’t take heed of her name when I watched the show the first time. Then I was doing some reading…ugh.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The story writing on Voyager generally doesn't match the lofty standards of TNG or DS9, even though it has a lot of the same people making it. Many of the DS9 episodes matched the quality of TNG, but I didn't like DS9's Miles O'Brien stories. TNG had a competitive story submission process (the best story wins).

The concept of Voyager (the crew trying to get home) tended to paint the story writers into a corner, as the series couldn't end too soon. It became obvious that a new technology promising to send them the whole way back, would end up only taking them part of the way. But I think it's still possible to write good stories, even with these limitations.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All the Bajoran mysticism episodes sucked.

They totally forgot about the Sisko-Prophet storyline to focus on the Dominion War arc and then remembered the prophet storyline which was, how shall we say…dumb.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I'll give SNW a chance to make the Noonien-Singh connection not totally lame fan service. Hedging my bets on her being a direct Khan relative that the Gorn found on another Eugenics people sleeper ship.

Sisko-Prophets story picks back up in the end of 6th and 7th seasons once the Pah Wraiths introduce themselves.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The three best Star Trek series are TOS, TNG, and DS9, without question.
So, what do people here think of Star Trek: Enterprise? From what I've read, it gets better by the fourth season.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
The three best Star Trek series are TOS, TNG, and DS9, without question.
So, what do people here think of Star Trek: Enterprise? From what I've read, it gets better by the fourth season.
The only good thing About Enterprise is Scott Bakula.

That's it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

That's it.

I recently watched the mirror universe episode. It was entertaining and it’s interesting such a huge part of Discovery is based off that episode.

Enterprise looks like it had zero budget lol.

Fygee

20 Year Member

That's it.
Season 3 is one of the best seasons of Star Trek ever made and I'll die on that hill. Season 4 was great too. 1 and 2 were up and down, which is standard tradition for Trek shows prior to Discovery.

T'Pol, Phlox, and Tucker were also fantastic characters. Hoshi and Malcolm were pretty alright. Mayweather got the short end of the stick after season 2.

And yeah, it had a pretty small budget since it was on UPN and the network was going south fast. Some of the CGI is really rough even for it's time, especially big outdoor scenes that would normally be a matte painting in ages past.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I love the matte paintings. Wouldn’t minding having some prints of some from TOS and TNG.

You can find high res images of all the matte paintings online.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Voyager has a truly horrible cast/crew.

The Doctor is a great character. Seven of Nine is a good character.

Janeway, Tuvok, Neelix, Tom Paris, Chakotay, Torres, Neelix, Kes, and Harry Kim are all horrible. Bottom of the barrel Trek characters. On the same tier as early season Wesley Crusher, Dr Pulaski, Troi's mom, and Lt. Barclay.

Yes, I listed Neelix twice.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Voyager has a truly horrible cast/crew.

The Doctor is a great character. Seven of Nine is a good character.

Janeway, Tuvok, Neelix, Tom Paris, Chakotay, Torres, Neelix, Kes, and Harry Kim are all horrible. Bottom of the barrel Trek characters. On the same tier as early season Wesley Crusher, Dr Pulaski, Troi's mom, and Lt. Barclay.

Yes, I listed Neelix twice.
DS9 definitely had a better crew than Voyager. The only Voyager characters that I really liked were Janeway, Seven of Nine and the Doctor. And those characters had more depth than the others.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Enterprise wasn't bad, don't believe the haters.
The network it was on (UPN) didn't have the resources to give it a big budget, especially in the fourth season. And the show should have been called Star Trek: Enterprise from the beginning.