OFFICIAL N-G.com Star Trek Thread

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I've been rewatching the first season of TNG on blu-ray with my brother, and man, it is fucking brutal. I'm about five episodes in and it has just been laughably bad.

aria

Former Moderator
I've been rewatching the first season of TNG on blu-ray with my brother, and man, it is fucking brutal. I'm about five episodes in and it has just been laughably bad.

Yeah, that's what I mean: First season of DS9 isn't great, but it way ahead of first season TNG.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The first season on TNG seemed to be more of a copy of ToS, until it started to find its own identity.

I'm really enjoying DS9. I've gone through 13 episodes so far and I'm digging it. Even came across this gem when I was watching an episode today.

aria

Former Moderator
Did you notice Wallace Shawn (Princess Bride "Inconceivable!"/Rex in Toy Story) as Grand Nagus Zek?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
You know what's lame? I recognized his voice and tied him to his role in the movie Clueless :/

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Two words: rape gangs.

I swear, Tasha Yar can't go an episode without mentioning rape gangs.

I wish Tasha Yar hadn't quit the series. I always liked her. Worf may not have been an important character if she hadn't though.

The first season of TNG is filled with way too many moments where the crew's predicament could be averted if only they would listen to the young punk Wil Wheaton.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I wish Tasha Yar hadn't quit the series. I always liked her. Worf may not have been an important character if she hadn't though.

The first season of TNG is filled with way too many moments where the crew's predicament could be averted if only they would listen to the young punk Wil Wheaton.
If they had the crew would have been wil wheaten ;)

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I wish Tasha Yar hadn't quit the series. I always liked her.
For a while, I also wished that she hadn't quit, but going back and watching some of the episodes from the first season really shows that the writers didn't know what the hell to do with her. She was always standing in the background (despite being the Security Chief) and La Forge and Data got more screen-time than her, leaving Yar only the chance to pop-up and say something that left the audience shaking their heads.

For instance, when Lwaxana Troi had described a Betazoid wedding thoroughly, Yar felt the need to burst-out: "You mean the bride and groom get married naked?!"

I dunno. I think she could have been a better character, but if I totally based my judgement not off of potential but on actual performance on the series, I'm glad that she's gone by the second season.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
80871558.gif

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Best Star Trek Video Games?

Alright, we all know that, like most licensed video game series, Star Trek doesn't exactly have the greatest quality when it comes to interactive entertainment. Nevertheless, its continued popularity, of course, means that there have been TONNES of Star Trek games released--some good, some bad, and some... really bad--and it would be cool to hear what you guys' experiences have been with them.

A search key of "Star Trek" on GameFAQs responds with around one-hundred and ten games (!!), many of them being published for computers and other nerd-centric devices during the 1970s and early-1980s when there was little "official" Star Trek to be enjoyed (and CBS/Paramount appreciated the free advertising). To make it a bit easier for all of us, I made a console-only list to start us off:

Spoiler:
8-BIT
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (NES)
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (NES)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (NES)

16-BIT
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Crossroads of Time (SNES, GENESIS)
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator (SNES, 32X)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (SNES)
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Echoes From The Past (GENESIS)

32-BIT
Star Trek: Invasion (PSX)

128-BIT
Star Trek: Conquest (PS2)
Star Trek: Encounters (PS2)
Star Trek: Shattered Universe (PS2, XBOX)
Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force (PS2)
Star Trek: New Worlds (DC)

HANDHELD
Star Trek Generations: Beyond the Nexus (GB, GG)
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (GB)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (GB)
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Advanced Holodeck Tutorial (GG)
Star Trek: Tactical Assault (DS, PSP)

ARCADE
Star Trek (Shooter, For-Play, 1972)
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (Shooter, SEGA, 1982)
Star Trek: Voyager The Arcade Game (Gun, Team Play, 2002)
Star Trek (Pinball, Data East, 1991)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Pinball, Williams, 1993)

I remember seeing the The Next Generation games for SNES and GENESIS back in the day, but never had a want to play them. But man, that TNG pinball game was always eating my quarters, it was so good, and the Voyager arcade game was fun just for the sake of getting the sit-down cabinet to blast Borg to one's heart's content.

As for you guys: Which Star Trek games have you played and, more importantly, which ones have you actually enjoyed?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I didn't say it was the only thing. Voyager is probably on continuous loop, too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I have played pretty much no Star Trek video games whatsoever.

I don't recall the Dreamcast Trek game? Anyone ever played that.