Official 3D printing thread.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont know how, but these robots have a lot of personality.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm just a sucker for those early robot and automaton designs. Stuff like the iron giant, the day the earth stood still, etc. I really liked the design of the robots also in the game Stray. What I like about robots, like these, is you can ascribe whatever personality you like to them. Are they ominous watchers plotting to kill man, gentle giants seeking to become human, or merely slaves to their programming? You never know.

I need to go read some Asimov robot stuff.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Anyway I think I finally "get" 3D printing. I sat down for like 15 minutes the other day and drew up on paper how I wanted to design the articulated arms, then I took that to Fusion 360, and it took me about an hour because I still suck with the program, but then I had it modeled and sliced. Sent to the printer, fucked around watching YouTube and reading a book, then the print finished and I (after lots of sanding) assembled the arm. Pretty cool from an idea I had floating in my head over the past few days. Just now it took maybe all of five minutes to tweak the geometries of the arm to get what, I think will be, a better fit and require less post processing.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I need to learn how to use something like Fusion 360. I did design and print something, but I used the basic 3D builder that comes with Windows.

I did up a mech scale dropship for Battletech.

Here are some crappy pictures.

IMG_20230127_165657884_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230127_165708048_HDR.jpg

I didn't really do a good job optimizing it for printing. It's not hollow.. The thrust pods are resin prints. Once we get some good weather I'm going to prime it up and try to paint job it.

Just making it and seeing how things fit together going from the computer to irl and finding out print tolerances and such was a learning experience. I think I could do a much better one if I were to do it again now.

Also, I know some people can't stand photos of things on beds so I made sure to bust out the pink sloth blankey and put this on a bed. I tried to get my foot in the photo but it would have ruined the artistic integrity of the photo.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nice, looks awesome. Fusion seems oriented towards more mechanical type shit. I'm going to download Blender and give that a try as well.

I didn't know Windows had a basic 3D modeling program. I wonder if there is one on Mac OS? I'm over here in Mac land on a M1 Mini.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was thinking spider or scorpion bot but clearly this is a crab bot. Don’t have feet for it yet.

I might make a spider arm type backpack. I need more filament.

14D9C079-CEF1-4BB1-9C40-65744CBBCC99.jpeg2FEC2A67-332E-436D-9F46-02F7BAC3CCB2.jpeg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Shit pic, sorry. My house has uniformly poor lighting and it’s night time.

6D37E294-1ED4-4892-A759-3F10B5306F7F.jpeg

Haven’t worked on this guy in awhile. Made some feet. Made a top “shell” - it’s got some holes so I can put some arms on it.

So I just need to design like a shoulder socket to work with this and some kind of claws.

I kind of want to make a big claw and a little claw for some asymmetry.

I will add some eyes, but I’m thinking they’ll just be spheres on stalks. I’ll probably just glue them on.

I’ll have to fire up my resin printer because I want to print some greebles/bitz to add on to it. Painting a flat, unbroken surface for a miniature sucks.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also thought maybe the top could have a clear dome with a brain inside. Maybe that’s too 50s pulp sci-fi or like the spider dudes in Jabba’s palace (they were a sect of Monks in the old EU - not sure if Disney changed that in the new canon.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I recently learned of the existence of 3D Print Mills. The build plate is basically a conveyor belt, effectively giving you an infinite print length on a single axis. Super, super, super cool. Especially for really long prints. I think they're neat for repetitive prints or printing multiple of the same thing over and over again. Guess these were all the hype a few years ago, and kind of a niche application, but I think it's still really cool.

Saw a guy who was printing a chain and he had modified the g-code so there was a start link and an end link but the g-code was written for the middle link to repeat indefinitely. Then when he had several meters of chain printed he was simply able to select "end loop" on the printer and it finished the current link and went on to print the end link.

Maybe not new to 3D printer enthusiasts, but new to me, and seems pretty damn cool. I'll have to look more in to it.

Here's an example of Creality's 3D print mill:

creality-cr-30-3d-printer

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Black Friday had some pretty good 3D printing deals.

I picked up a Snapmaker J1s. It arrived today and I've been doing the calibration.

So far, it seems pretty good. Not as refined as the Bambu Labs unit I have but I'm pretty excited about Independent dual extruders.

Curious if anyone picked up any printing stuff from any of the holiday sales.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I picked up the Bambu P1P from the Black Friday sale with extra discount on top buying through TikTok for whatever reason. Couldn’t bring myself to spring for the AMS so just went for the base unit to get my feet wet. It hasn’t arrived yet but I’m pretty excited about it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m kind of thinking about getting that newish Ender 3 V3SE (or whatever the fucker is called.)

It’s only $200 and I bet it will be on sale. I’m tired of manual leveling/tramming and i dont yet want to drop a grand on a new Core XY printer like the Bambu. Maybe in a few years.

Been having some ideas on things I want to print in the past couple days lol.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Just to update. I've been playing with that J1s. The printer is really cool.

The software they have for it is some of the worst shit I've ever used. I'm currently trying to work out getting a different slicer working right with it. So far only my calibration prints have been a success.

The breakaway filament from Snapmaker did not even come close to working like it should and using their own settings for their own filament, it fails and fails. I don't know how they can make such a nice well thought out machine and have such garbage software for it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
if I get a new printer I'd get that Bambu A1.

You guys should checkout www.titancraft.com - they're having an XMAS offer where you can use their character creator and download the .stl files of the characters you make for free. Normally they're a couple bucks. It's basically like hero forge if you've ever played around with that. So definitely geared more towards fantasy (DnD Specifically) but they have some interesting options like monsters, mounts, etc.

The offer is free until Dec 25. You do have to sign up for an account. When you create your model just "add to cart" and the price will be $0.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
One of you dorks should print a shell for the Furrtek Fusion MVS adapter and send it to me. 😎