Odd issues, not sure if its mobo or carts....

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I got a few new carts in the mail and I'm having some issues. The carts in question are:

Bang Bead
King of Monsters
KoF 2002

Boards

MV-4
MV-2F
MV-1B
MV-1C

All stock BIOS, and the 2F has the RGBs lines run through variable resistors with pull downs. No other mods.

The Bang Bead seems to run fine on my four slot Big Red, but when I put it in my MV-2F + BVM, it crashes every single time at the high score screen after the attract mode runs. It appears to play fine on both. I also ran it on an MV-1C and MV-1B and it seems to run through attract mode just fine. I do not have a proper supergun for these boards so I was unable to play test on the 1C and 1B.

The King of Monsters would boot straight to the title screen and just stay on that screen in my 2F. It will start and play, but it will not run attract mode or cycle to the second game in the board. I also noticed that on the title screen there is no animation on the background. In my Big Red it will run just as it should, until after you play a game. Then it sticks at the title screen again and will not cycle through the other games in the cab. All appears good on the 1B and 1C.

The KoF '02 really has me confused though. On the 2F it will only play in two player mode in team matches. Then after the match, it goes straight to a game over screen. Singles matches, it appears to be fine. On the Big Red its the same thing, but it will only play in Spanish. In the soft dips it won't even give me the option of changing the language or region. It would give me those soft dips on the 2F. Didn't try this on the 1B and 1C as I never noticed any issues with the attract mode.

I have tried searching google and the forum, but really didn't come up with anything useful, I may have not been using the optimal keywords, but I tried numerous phrases. I have cleaned the cart edges, and the cart slots. Tried various dip switch settings, in the original tests only the freeplay dip was on. The boards and chips check out with MVS Scans and do not appear to have been repaired or worked on.

Are these issues with the games or my boards? Any input is appreciated, thanks guys

Last edited:

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I cleared the back up ram.

The Bang Bead is working fine on both the 2F and cab now.

The KoM still sticks at the title screen, but it only does it when there are unused credits in the cab, or when the 2F is in freeplay. If I end a game with zero credits left or turn off freeplay, it runs through the attract mode and cycles through the other games. I have not seen any issues with the background animation since clearing the ram.

The KoF '02 will let me play the team mode normally now, this appeared to have something to do with a soft dip called 'EVENT' which I was overlooking. The language is set to English now on the cab, but in the soft dip screen it still will not let me access the language and region settings. On the 2F, it will let me get to those settings, but they only offer 'USA' and 'OTHERS' for region options. Also the language options are 'ENGLISH', 'SPANISH', and 'KOREAN'. I believe it also offered Portuguese for languge. I was looking in the archives and I saw that Korean carts do not include the Japanese options. I also noticed some talk about Spanish KoF carts.

So do I have a Korean/Spanish KoF, and if so is there anything drastic censored out of it? Do all KoM carts behave this way? Or is there still something else I should be looking at?

Thanks for the help so far

(I plan on picking up some unibios soon)