Noob thinking about making a CMVS

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The attraction to me would be playing all those "affordable" MVS games instead on their AES counterparts. My question is before I go any further would I be best off with a converter instead, making the cmvs myself, or hiring someone to do it?

My technical skills are good i guess. I haven't soldered in a long time but I don't ever remember it being that difficult. I have a knack for tinkering with devices.

I have seen some "how to guides" online which go over consolizing the MV1C boards but not much else. I have seen some threads here where people talk about the different boards and their pros and cons. I would still need to buy all the equipment needed to work on this which would add to the cost. Honestly I can see me making one but it might take me a bit more time to get me going.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
well if you want one built James at jammanation aka Xian Xi is the man for the job. Ive never tried to build one so i couldnt help you there.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I second the recommendation for James. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Neo Geo as well as the skills to build top-notch machines.
Can't recommend a converter since they're either never as good as a genuine MVS cart to MVS board setup, nearly the same cost as an MVS setup (or both).

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
A CMVS plus a boot cart or two (138-in-1 or 161-in-1) is the cheapest way to jump in. That will allow you ample time to decide on and track down the real carts that you want to collect. I'm currently going that route with an MV-1C and MV-2F. There's always the CD and CDZ to consider too.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
There are a few titles that require the backup RAM that no converter would be able to play those on the home system.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have sent an email to James at jammanation website. Just still weighing in my options. Probably wont go the converter route.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I have the magic key converter and it works flawlessly, but there are cases out there were people have gotten bad ones.

If you want to build a CMVS then buy a 2-slot.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
James (Xian Xi) at Jammanation does top-notch work, but I'll also throw in my 2 cents on the Omega CMVS at arcadeworks.net developed by shadowkn55. I have one and it's worked flawlessly with beautiful image quality.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Xian-Xi makes a better product over the Omega.

2 slot MVS is the king mobo of all CMVS.

You can make it yourself with some extensive research, it really isn't that hard if you are familiar with soldering, drilling, wiring and overall tool work.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
^
What he said.

Thankfully the Neo is a system that can run only off 5V with a small modification.

I went the AES with a converter route to play MVS. While they have converters that are flawless now, if I know what I know now i'd go CMVS all the way.

I love my AES but finding stuff for a good deal is hard, if you just interested in playing CMVS all the way. Plus it helps keep you from buying the shiny pretty AES games, which I currently have a problem with. Maybe i'll go to NeoRehab.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Xian-Xi makes a better product over the Omega.

2 slot MVS is the king mobo of all CMVS.

You can make it yourself with some extensive research, it really isn't that hard if you are familiar with soldering, drilling, wiring and overall tool work.

And hopefully cheaper than those things. I've only seen those OMEGA's at around $500 dollars at their cheapest. Good to hear James makes a better product too.
I have heard several people say that the 2 slots are good because they have almost everything you need already and dont really need to add much of anything. And their size makes it easier to work than the smaller MV1 boards.

The last time I used a soldering iron was in school and that was a long time ago. I don't remember it being that difficult. I'm ok at drilling, not very pro but i get the job done, wiring isnt that hard, and my tool work is passable as well. The biggest thing I think will be the research, finding out what I will need to do. Once that happens I think I can get rolling quite nicely.

As far as converters go, I still have my doubts on them despite some people saying that it's been working flawless for them. I don't really feel like taking the chance and having to deal with them if something doesn't go right.

The AES is awesome but so expensive. There are many games I want to try out but that price is so killer which is why I'm going to go the CMVS route. As of right now, many of those games are still affordable compared to their AES counterparts. I will still keep an eye out for AES games, but I think shifting focus to MVS might be a better move here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Considering your situation CMVS 2 slot is the way to go, forget the prestige that comes with having an AES, it won't make you a better player and you'll be missing out on some titles that hover on ridiculous prices. The work isn't that hard and the components aren't hard to source. A converter is a cool gadget for those that have an AES and don't wanna make the jump to MVS 'cause they're far too involved with their AES, you don't have that problem, you don't need it. The good thing is that even if you get a CMVS you can always test the waters on the AES and see what fancies you best, however CMVS is just a better deal for us conscious and frugal gamers.

You're gaming experience can be replicated to a T with a CMVS, you can use the same controllers and the same software, the only difference is the main deck, everything else is the exact same. As a matter of fact you'll spend less on a CMVS with all the goods than an AES factory standard, then you still have to do all the mods to it to bring it up to par with a fully loaded CMVS.

Having Xian-Xi make you one is a worry free process and you'll end up with a top notch quality product. If you opt for a DIY project then don't be shy, it really isn't that hard at all, with just a few searches on google you'll find everything you need to know, it'll take some reading but you'll learn a lot about the hobby.

On a 2 slot mobo you'll only need to solder wires for power, ground and video. The video converter board (Jrok or Neo Bitz) is super easy to work with and all the jacks are easy to obtain (Jameco will have everything you need) Unibios is just as easy as an eprom swap, and custom sticks are a breeze to do if you don't like the standard controllers.

Another piece of advice; Emulation is your best friend when it comes to choosing what to begin with as far as games go.

In case you opt for buying something done instead of building one, this doesn't seem like a bad deal and the seller is willing to negotiate, not a XX product (sorry James, you know I love you man) but in case you're interested here it is.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257930-FS-Analogue-Interactive-Walnut-CMVS-LumberJack-Edition-Pseudo-Black-Label

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well I was a bit late to that link but that was a good deal on that system despite the cosmetic defect. Onward I go but still weighing in my options on having it done for me or making my own. I am leaning more towards having the pro do this for me. I know I can build one but my workmanship is kinda sloppy.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
well if you want one built James at jammanation aka Xian Xi is the man for the job. Ive never tried to build one so i couldnt help you there.
Xian Xi makes good CMVS's, but he might not be making them for much longer.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Xian Xi makes good CMVS's, but he might not be making them for much longer.

That he does. I think it's good that he may not be making them for much longer. I like to see everyone's custom creations and it's a motivator for individuals to get into the building side of this hobby of ours. As much as I respect those who create quality custom products, I think it is good to keep people under the pressure of doing it themselves. Promotes learning and that is excellent for the community as a whole.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
That he does. I think it's good that he may not be making them for much longer. I like to see everyone's custom creations and it's a motivator for individuals to get into the building side of this hobby of ours. As much as I respect those who create quality custom products, I think it is good to keep people under the pressure of doing it themselves. Promotes learning and that is excellent for the community as a whole.
It's cheaper to build a CMVS, and you learn from it too.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am in the process of trying to get my hands on a MVS-2 board. Judging on what almost everyone has been saying, it is the easiest of all the boards to consolize which makes it perfect for a noob. As far as research goes, I have found a good tutorial over at the JammaNation website, and I think I should be good just by going off of that. For now I will gather all the materials I need which are listed in that handy little tutorial.