Non-sequential TV recommendations

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I'm sure there's a term for this. Just having a hard time with my Google-fu.

I'm looking for some TV recommendations for shows that don't have to be watched sequentially. Stuff I can watch a random episode without feeling like I need to spend a week watching seasons 1 through 7 to be caught up.

Some examples of things I like - Rick and Morty, Last Week Tonight, American Restoration.

Anything along those lines would be appreciated. If there's a way to search for these that would help also.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
sherlock is a great one. it is sequential but it's more about the content in each episode what makes this one so great. so you could watch any random episode and enjoy it without worrying what happened before or after.

or you could just stick to the simpsons ;). rick and morty is awesome by the way.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Louie

There's only a few episodes that follow the same story line. You should be alright with random episodes.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
It was a Showtime program some years ago, but Penn & Teller Bullshit was fantastic. Each stood alone digging a knife into the stupid crap that people get into or fall for and they do it with style, their magic and smart ass routines, and cold hard facts which makes it amazing. Kind of reminds me on that last word, if you don't mind 80s programming Amazing Stories! was a truly badass program that ran weekly and each story was its own wacked out thing much like the older Twilight Zone.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Tales From The Crypt, Tales From the Dark Side, Monsters, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone

Horror/scifi anthology series kick ass

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
This got me in the right direction. Thanks. I found this list for "dark sitcoms" that helped.

http://www.ranker.com/list/black-comedy-tv-shows-and-series/reference

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, South Park, Rick and Morty, Metalocalypse, Archer, The Boondocks, Reno 911!, Superjail!, Moral Orel, The IT Crowd, Squidbillies, Wonder Showzen, Snuff Box, Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!

Problem is that the older I get that it's hard as hell to make me laugh. Been watching a lot of 70s/80s horror movies lately.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
try out 'better off ted'. its on netflix. ran for 2 seasons.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I had no idea Earl was Jason Lee.

:lolz: i had the same problem watching vanilla sky. been watching that movie for years, and i didn't know that tom cruise's best friend in the movie was played by jason lee. maybe he's one of those people who look different in every role.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
War of the Worlds
Highlander
Quantum Leap
Maguyver
Manimal
The Wizard

Fun fact: there is an episode of Manimal that is eactly the same as an episode of the Wizard

Also, what was the name of the syndicated vampire show that was essentially highlander with vamires? IIRC it was 80's/90's. The protaginist was a vampire who stops hunting humans and becomes a NYC police detective. It always seemed to run on sunday/saturday nights at 11:30 pm.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My name is earl has to be watched in order.

Sure, the plot of most of the episodes of any season are non-linear. But you have to watch them in order to appreciate the gestalt of the show.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
:lolz: i had the same problem watching vanilla sky. been watching that movie for years, and i didn't know that tom cruise's best friend in the movie was played by jason lee. maybe he's one of those people who look different in every role.

Only reason Jason Lee is in that is because he's a Scientologist.

Another rec. Hammer's House of Horror

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Early episodes of Always Sunny were barely sequential.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Metalocalypse is good, but there is an over-arcing storyline that you might miss if you watch it out of order.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
X-Files

No need to catch up, just put on your tinfoil hat and BELIEVE.