No more MVS

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
A friend of mine that works for Sammy has told me that Neo Geo MVS is no more. Sammy will be putting ALL new SNK games on their own hardware.

I'm guessing if they say no more MVS its also the death of home carts. Could KOF03 be the last game?

I guess we all saw this coming.

Time to get an Atomiswave....

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Unless I see proof on either Sammy site or on SNKP website, I will not believe it.

GAMEFAN

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
lemonflav said:
A friend of mine that works for Sammy has told me that Neo Geo MVS is no more. Sammy will be putting ALL new SNK games on their own hardware.
I'm guessing if they say no more MVS its also the death of home carts.

:buttrock:

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
He could be screwing with me, but he's brought it up in the past and I just laughed. This time he sounded serious.

He said it was announced in some big Sammy meeting today.

I guess time will tell.

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Gamefan said:
Unless I see proof on either Sammy site or on SNKP website, I will not believe it.

GAMEFAN

Denial is the 1st step. Your well on your way to recovery:loco:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
lemonflav said:
He could be screwing with me, but he's brought it up in the past and I just laughed. This time he sounded serious.

He said it was announced in some big Sammy meeting today.

I guess time will tell.

It just disappoints me to think that SNK will no longer be developing its own software. People are so excited about the possibilities they're forgetting one important thing: Sammy -- and not SNK -- will be developing these titles, and since Sammy has no prior experience with SNK's franchises, it’s going to be hit-or-miss on their part. I just don't think Sammy has the background to develop something like KOF, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
has anyone thought of the fact that this deal with sammy is probably SNKP using Sammy's hardware?

Sammy won't develop the games, they might just be giving SNK some exclusive use or something...I wouldn't worry about it. The MVS isn't dead.

Why would you release so many games at once? Then kill it off?

no sense...

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
BryLmoo said:
has anyone thought of the fact that this deal with sammy is probably SNKP using Sammy's hardware?

Sammy won't develop the games, they might just be giving SNK some exclusive use or something...I wouldn't worry about it. The MVS isn't dead.

Why would you release so many games at once? Then kill it off?

no sense...

Hey, long time, no see!

Well, according to popular rumor, Sammy bought a bucket load of SNK's popular IPs. If this is true, Sammy would be responsible for development.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I wish Shawn would give us some heads up on this issue...

He's put too much into the MVS for it to end.

Really...SNKP wouldn't...no....:confused:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Sundance said:
Denial is the 1st step. Your well on your way to recovery:loco:

That's pretty funny. I know but I just feel that if the NEO was going away, it would have long ago. There is obviously something really special about it for it to have lasted this long.

GAMEFAN

Paul Phoenix

New Challenger
Sammy screwed so many other games which were highly praised before they were actually released so they will screw NeoGeo aswell - Hasta la vista, baby :annoyed:

BTW, why do I have this damn football under my Avatar - I hate soccer :eek_2:

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
Sammy wont be making the games, SNP will still make them. SNKP will just be using Sammy's hardware instead of MVS.

He did tell me that SNKP had submitted KOF04 for review and Sammy gave it back to them because the game was not any different than what is on MVS. I guess Sammy wants to see more progamming that uses the Atomiswave power. He said SNKP has to do more work on it now.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
If SNK is responsible for the programing than my :buttrock: stays

if Sammy is responsible for the programing than I withdraw my :buttrock:

Nuff said.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'd like to see what's going to happen before I send any praises toward Sammy.

Simply taking the sprites and making them "hIgH rEzzzsss55" will not make a great game.

I'm still going to play the shit out of the MVS.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The following is now on Magic Box:

"Sammy and SNK Playmore announced a collaboration to produce a series of new arcade games for the Atomiswave system. SNK Playmore will develop The King of Fighters 2004, Samurai Spirits AW (tentative name) and Metal Slug 6 on Atomiswave."

Looks like after what has been YEARS of both delays and (more often than not) bullshit rumors, the end of the Neo-Geo is finally here. It's both good and bad though. Yeah, an era is finally ending, but I can't wait to see all these SNK games looking and playing better than they ever have been before.

Lee

vagabond

NEST Puppet
Ya know what sucks? Just getting into the Neo around last December and then getting an MVS setup last month just to have it abandoned now (I was alway into the SNK fighter ports, though). Ah well, there's still plenty of stuff out there for a new guy like me to get:buttrock:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
vagabond said:
Ya know what sucks? Just getting into the Neo around last December and then getting an MVS setup last month just to have it abandoned now (I was alway into the SNK fighter ports, though). Ah well, there's still plenty of stuff out there for a new guy like me to get:buttrock:

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff out there; no worries. :)

I actually just sold one of my Neo AES systems and five of the most recent games I own; basically decided to get out of it now mainly because I needed the money, but I still can't bring myself to sell off my other Neo and older games likes Samurai 2, KOF '98, and RB2.

Lee

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
This is probably one of the hundreds of threads that say
Sammy will take over with the Atomiswave....Who cares? :spock:
JHendrix?

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
lemonflav said:
He did tell me that SNKP had submitted KOF04 for review and Sammy gave it back to them because the game was not any different than what is on MVS. I guess Sammy wants to see more progamming that uses the Atomiswave power. He said SNKP has to do more work on it now.

No way, SNK-P tried to rehash KOF on the Atomiswave? Why doesn't this surprise me?:tickled: :lol:

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
well if the games are still 2D I guess I wont be too mad.

It's still sad that the last bastion of low-rez old school gaming may collapse. I liked to dream we could stay holed up in our little niche forever. :crying:

Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

Mega Shock!!
the Atomiswave sounds good, new hardware, new sprites, doesn't mean Guilty Gear Graphix, and it hasn't been confirmed that Sammy is making the titles. I like to think of it this way, since Arc System works is former SNK employees, and SNKP has SOME former SNK employees, then they can work it out and reunite like the old days. I wanna see some game beat SF III third strike (a game with GREAT Graphics and gameplay) let's see how it turns out. We have been in worse situations (ex: Eolith, kof2k1:shame: )

As for Shawn's website, it will never die, NeoGeo games are always collectible and will only gain more price over time....

Anyways thats only my thinking, let's see what happens at the AOU show.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member

Somehow I doubt that SNKP would already have KOF '04 completed enough to be reviewed. '03 just came out two months ago after all. Unless they just photoshopped the '03 logo with an '04 and submitted it. :p