Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
NeXt turd

Whats the gimmick this time?

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The bit about them going mobile is pretty disheartening.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
The bit about them going mobile is pretty disheartening.

But, but...HERB! You know you want a free new Mario game for your Ipad so you can pay Nintendo to make Mario jump.

Jon

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
NeXt turd

Whats the gimmick this time?

This. Nintendo hasn't made a "gaming" console in some time. God only knows what stupid thing they'll roll out next...we all know it won't be straight forward and user friendly.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Until they get any kind of 3rd party developer support, it will just be more of the same.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
they announced this a while ago. I wouldn't expect to see new hardware anytime soon.

M$ and Sony can't afford to make new hardware right now, so the potential upside is Nintendo could release hardware with more power than the other big two.
This is all for nothing as the WiiU has a market and is doing fine.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
they announced this a while ago. I wouldn't expect to see new hardware anytime soon.

M$ and Sony can't afford to make new hardware right now, so the potential upside is Nintendo could release hardware with more power than the other big two.
This is all for nothing as the WiiU has a market and is doing fine.

It's supposedly a smartphone-type system, or at the very least a license deal with a third party dev, not a new home console.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Wii U > XB1 or PS4

Very true. I was pretty down on the Wii U for lack of games and new iterations of existing franchise...but at least those games were pretty great (Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros etc).

But this really shouldn't be a surprise by now.

What is surprising is all of PS4 and Xbone rehashes of PS3 and 360 games...Last of Us, DMC, Tomb Raider...I mean Sleeping Dogs ffs, c'mon, was anybody dying to play an enhanced version of Sleeping Dogs...?

I'd wager at least 30% - 50% of all games currently available on PS4 or Xbone are upgrades of last generation's games...which is ridiculous.

We all know not to expect a lot a lot of third party support from Nintendo...but what is Sony's excuse - don't they own a bajillion studios? There are so few original games on the system that I am considering getting the Order for full MSRP despite all the crappy reviews just to have something "new" to play. At least Bloodbourne is on the way...but still...

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Nintendo makes videogames.

The rest are interactive movies.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Wii U > XB1 or PS4

Yep.

There is still a lot of life in the Wii U yet. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this announcement at the moment, they're just making sure people realise that the move to mobile doesn't mean they're getting out of the console market.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
...I mean Sleeping Dogs ffs, c'mon, was anybody dying to play an enhanced version of Sleeping Dogs...?
I'm not interested in playing any HHD versions of these games, but given the choice, I'd opt for Sleeping Dogs over most.

Great game. Shame the "Definitive Edition" was nothing more than a simple upscale...

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Very true. I was pretty down on the Wii U for lack of games and new iterations of existing franchise...but at least those games were pretty great (Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros etc).

Completely agree. I also share Tonk's view. When I sit down with my Wii U, I feel like I'm playing video games. When I'm playing my XB1, I feel like I'm playing an interactive movie (for the most part). Like, something just a step up from Dragon's Lair.

Mario Kart 8 is so fucking fun, as is 3D World. I've never been a Super Smash Bros. guy, but I bought the new one and have had more fun with that game than anything on my Bone. The new Zelda is set to be released this year, and I'm confident that'll be a blast to play, too. In three days Mario Party 10 drops.

Even just these few games is enough for me to put it over the other consoles. People can continue shitting on their consoles for not being SNES v.2 --fuck 'em, who cares

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Played that NES Remix at Target. I had more fun with that demo than anything 360up

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
mmmh.. if Nintendo is touting another NES/Wii-like sensation then I can see them willing to sabotage the WiiU. Nintendo core audience was not their main target with the Wii - the company either takes a pretty conservative, restraint approach to managing their home consoles (N64, Gamecube, WiiU) or go all out - in the first instance they cater strongly to their dedicated fanbase, much less so in the second.
it's not just about timing as in how long they've had their system out - there are a great many other variables - ultimately it is timing though. Is it unfair to say that the PS4 and XBoxOne where released a few years ahead of when they should have been? Maybe factors such as the cheapened costs of producing their current consoles, and the Steam machine threatening to take a bite out of their market drove M$ and $ony to doing this.
Nintendo probably care but much less than a lot of people would like to think.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Nintendo makes videogames.

The rest are interactive movies.

Completely agree. I also share Tonk's view. When I sit down with my Wii U, I feel like I'm playing video games. When I'm playing my XB1, I feel like I'm playing an interactive movie (for the most part). Like, something just a step up from Dragon's Lair.

Mario Kart 8 is so fucking fun, as is 3D World. I've never been a Super Smash Bros. guy, but I bought the new one and have had more fun with that game than anything on my Bone. The new Zelda is set to be released this year, and I'm confident that'll be a blast to play, too. In three days Mario Party 10 drops.

Even just these few games is enough for me to put it over the other consoles. People can continue shitting on their consoles for not being SNES v.2 --fuck 'em, who cares

Played that NES Remix at Target. I had more fun with that demo than anything 360up

Yep, wholeheartedly agree. I've been a fan of the Wii U off the jump, and have actual fun with those games, as do my family. As of next month, we will be a year and a half into the life cycles of both the PS4 and the XB1; I still only have 3 games for the Bone and 8 for PS4 (mostly pity purchases because I felt I needed to justify getting the console as I could have gotten most of those games on other platforms).
I think people need to hand it to Nintendo; they have propped up a console with software almost all by themselves, which is something the other two just couldn't do without third party support. Look at the Vita as a prime example: w/out NIS, Aksys, and Atlus, that system would already be long dead.

I'm looking forward to Nintendo has planned next, and just as Iwata has had to bend on the cellphone market, I'm sure he (or Nintendo investors) won't jump headlong into a gimmick for their next console, and that it will be more traditional (albeit distinctly Nintendo in flavor). The man can only take so many pay cuts before there are no options left for him.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

...and I didn't even mention Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors or Bayonetta 2...all of which are must owns for Wii U owners. I haven't played it yet, but the new Kirby game looks great as well.

And then there is Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 - they might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I certainly enjoy them.

And as Tonk said, the NES Remix games are pretty rad as well.

Not to mention, we all hate paid DLC - but at least Nintendo is taking a fair approach to it - their Mario Kart 8 dlc bundles have a ton of content and are reasonably priced.

Needless to say, I am more than satisfied at the moment with my Wii U.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I wonder if they're going to be new games built for mobile devices or are they just going to go straight up porting the classics for a few bucks a pop. Either way they'll rake in extra money on the side. With the next system I'd love to see them go back to form and just make a straight forward gaming device but knowing them they'll try to cram something in people will bitch about at first then learn to live with it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm sure it will be some crazy thing that won't compete with WiiU or 3DS. probably some off the wall gimmick like a phone or something. Or maybe a Pachinko machine:keke: