Nintendo Switch

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Skyward Sword was pretty good, much better than Twilight Princess. Couldn’t get into BOTW myself. Seems like the kind of game that needs a fan overhaul.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Sounds like @HornheaDD wasn't that in love with BotW to begin with. I really liked it (one of the few games I've put more than 100 hours into) and am looking forward to the rehash. I do hope that there's some level of differentiation, but I'd rather them play it safe than to introduce a Majora's Mask style weirdo pain in the ass mechanic. What would be really disappointing to me is reused areas.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Sounds like @HornheaDD wasn't that in love with BotW to begin with. I really liked it (one of the few games I've put more than 100 hours into) and am looking forward to the rehash. I do hope that there's some level of differentiation, but I'd rather them play it safe than to introduce a Majora's Mask style weirdo pain in the ass mechanic. What would be really disappointing to me is reused areas.

I really wasn't. I liked the scope of the game and the ambition put into it. But its like they decided to just make the world huge and then thought "oh wait... what about dungeons? Ah well just throw 4 of them in there but we dont have time/manpower to design an actual dungeon so just make it a glorified puzzle room 4 times."

For TotK I think its 7 now. As far as reused areas... buckle up. For the most part the map is the same, at least in the general world-size sense. There's still that big square box puzzle thing in the north east, still that swirly bit of land in the same area, the castle is in the same place, etc.

Ive unlocked several parts of the map. Unlocking the map is identical to the first game, except instead of having to climb the towers, you just go in at the bottom and it literally cannon fire's you into the air, where Link scans the area and it unlocks that part of the map and sky.

All in all its the same thing. The thing that really soured me on BotW was the stamina and weapon breaking. In this one, instead of adding the fuse function, they should have added a repair function. Like sure you can 'fuse' it with that other sword on the ground you cant use anymore - but it will repair the one you ARE using.

It doesn't do that here. It literally sticks two weapons together. Some are admittedly useful, like a claymore fused with a stone, you can use that to knock down stone walls, hit small Talus enemies, etc. But honestly what kind of thing can you do with a boomerang fused with a torch? lol

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So you don't like the sequel to BotW because it's a sequel to BotW??!?!?! Kinda sound like kids get off my lawn guy right now
It just doesnt feel like a true sequel, rather the B side of a record.

Like someone earlier said, its like they took whatever didnt get shoehorned into BotW was put into this one. You know how Link to the Past was fundamentally different from Zelda 1 and 2? Or how Ocarina was 100% different from LttP, etc. This just feels like BotW-A. No real innovation, no differences, just... bleh.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
agree to disagree I guess. To each their own. Sucks you didn't like the sequel to a game you didn't like in the first place. Not really sure why you played it

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
You said it yourself. Because it's free.

You'd think Nintendo would innovate in its software since it pushed (pardon - innovated)waggle controls and a massive screen controller for their consoles, but the games are just rehashes.

Same with Metroid Dread. It was fun-ish but it wasn't anything new after Fusion or Super Metroid. Prime 1 and 2 were good departures/updates to an IP, but lately Nintendo's MO is kind of like Hollywood.

Just pump out the same crap or a slightly slightlydifferent software and people will lap it up.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I'm just waiting the day the Switch is discontinued so i can grab it and mod it. Sounds stupid but that's what My dad and i did with the second Wii we got back in 2012-2013 (it's been a long ass time). I really want to play the good first party stuff and the ACA released. I know damn well the Steam Deck is out there but i want a cheaper option (since i live in Venezuela).

KGRAMR

Another Striker
So i assume it's more of a expansion then anything else.I've heard things that didn't make the cut for botw went into tears of the kingdom instead.
That and IIRC a recent interview with the devs, they stated that they wanted to include both caverns and the sky island in BOTW but the Wii U hardware prevented it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah I definitely understand you KGRAMR, too bad about your country right now. It seems like our importing duties will become even more retarded soon with our newly elected government so I'll probably have to go with that strategy someday, too.

I was never a fan of nintendo franchises in the first place so I did not give a damn to the switch zeldas, I should try it sometime but it's definitely not for me. After two gens saturated with open world crap it's hard to get excited over link fighting enemies in a grassland map or building a peanor chariot out of wooden materials.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I installed a custom firmware on my 3DS XL when Nintendo announced the shop closure. It's fine when the stuff is discontinued anyway. My New 3DS is still stock because I bought some games digitally. But it doesn't even matter that much like it did some time ago.

Buy one and pirate the shit out of it. You will have more fun than filling another Nintendo shelf.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Picking up TotK for my son today, he's crazy excited. For the most part I hope it at least starts out similar to BotW then expands, it's so much easier to get into a new game when they do that.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I'm just waiting the day the Switch is discontinued so i can grab it and mod it. Sounds stupid but that's what My dad and i did with the second Wii we got back in 2012-2013 (it's been a long ass time). I really want to play the good first party stuff and the ACA released. I know damn well the Steam Deck is out there but i want a cheaper option (since i live in Venezuela).
Why can't you hack it now? I modded my Wii when it was still a current system.

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Why can't you hack it now? I modded my Wii when it was still a current system.
well, there's issues like eshop/online play bans, system updates still being released, homebrew software and exploits still being in flux, then there's the lite and OLED models not being hackable yet. I myself am not in a huge hurry for hacking a switch given the hoops to jump through and nintendo actively trying to defeat homebrewing.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
well, there's issues like eshop/online play bans, system updates still being released, homebrew software and exploits still being in flux, then there's the lite and OLED models not being hackable yet. I myself am not in a huge hurry for hacking a switch given the hoops to jump through and nintendo actively trying to defeat homebrewing.
I play with a modchipped Switch Line just fine with original software through a clean firmware, and I think some people came up with an inexpensive option for hard modding recently. You guys are just forgetting where he's based of.

I went to the venezuela Mercado Libre site to see for how much people were selling Switch consoles and the price listings were in USD even though it's meant for venezuelans to sell to each other. Pretty much tells what you need to know.
1684002407588.png

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
i have no doubt that being in venezuela presents the biggest hurdle, but don't disregard the barriers of entry to a hacked switch. you just said your switch lite is hard modded, that means one needs to obtain said hard-mod (like a modchip) and also be able to install it, or find someone else to install it. most people can't do that. KGRAMR probably can't even buy the modchip.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
i have no doubt that being in venezuela presents the biggest hurdle, but don't disregard the barriers of entry to a hacked switch. you just said your switch lite is hard modded, that means one needs to obtain said hard-mod (like a modchip) and also be able to install it, or find someone else to install it. most people can't do that. KGRAMR probably can't even buy the modchip.
I can buy the modchip, but food and services like electricity and internet are my main priority since me and My mom are the ones taking care of the house with our jobs. Especially after My dad unfortunatedly passed away due to cancer in 2021.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Looks like a few hacks for TotK have come out, the usual invincibility, infinite items, etc etc etc. I did turn on the items thing once to save and have 99 of each thing in my pocket (doesn't automatically unlock all items AFAIK) but Ive been using the weapon durability hack and the stamina hack.

LEAGUES more fun to explore. Still get oneshotted here and there when I get somewhere I shouldn't be till later in the game, not to mention my piddly 15+ power sword doin almost nothing to the oneshotters. But yeah, I can see this game being actually enjoyable for people who hated weapon/stamina BS.

As an aside - I do have to give this specific game a bit of credit for its size.

Yes, Hyrule is basically identical save for some terrain changes due to the (story element that is revealed in the first 5 minutes but I wont spoil it for those who want to go in blind). So, honestly not that impressive since its that same map. The sky map is admittedly pretty big, but its more akin to the islands in Windwaker. Sure, the whole 'sea' was part of the world, but you could only get into any action/story elements while landing on an island.

Most of the Sky islands are for looting, really. Shrines are usually in each major piece of sky map. But there are item dispensers (for crafting) on each one as well, and they don't all serve up the same thing. But even so -the sky map is probably... 1/4 the size of the surface? Lots to explore/find, but its not that big and can be tedious to get to because they are so damn high.

When you get the 'recall' (rewind time) power, you can use it on pieces that fall from the sky to fly back up. Cant miss em, they flash blue when they fall (all the time). It wont take you all the way to the island level, but it will get you pretty high up there if you need to get a lay of the land or whatever.

But the credit is for the depths. Evidently the depths are literally the size of the Hyrule map. So we're talking sorta like Light World/Dark World from Link to the Past. Its not actually the light/dark world, the depths don't have the same terrain. Its mostly flat with some rolling hills/crevasses, pits, and lots of gloom (bad stuff that makes you lose active hearts).

But its just as large as far as 'acreage' is concerned. Have to hand it to the game designers, thats pretty damn cool to have two FULL maps to explore. 2.25 if you wanna count the sky map

Some of the weapon fusions you can get are completely useless/hilarious/dangerous, but some of them give you some major power upgrades, until they break. Hence, turning that shit off.

With the stamina thing, Yeah - I get that Elden Ring had stamina too, and it would run out if you weren't paying attention. But where From Software totally outdid Nintendo is in the stamina department. In ER, as long as you're not in an active fight and far enough away from an enemy - your stamina (and by extension the Torrent's) are infinite. Making traversal before quick travel SO much easier and quicker.

I think if Nintendo had done that with TotK and even BotW, it wouldn't have been such a mood killer for me.

Also, Nintendo really needs to step up their game when it comes to menus. There are some QoL improvements they did with cooking and whatnot, but while they added a "select an item on the fly to either throw it or attach it to an arrow" thing, when you have a lot of items (and this is BEFORE I did the item hack) you end up having to scroll for about 17 years to find the item you want. Even with an automatic sort button (hit Y or X and it sorts stuff by power, usage, type) you can still scroll for hours to find that one chuchu jelly you havent used yet and is all important to take down an enemy.

Also just recently unlocked one of the fairies (theres a quest to do something that should have been unlocked in the first place, come on Nintendo) and upgrading your armor is JUST as shitty and annoying as before.

"Hmmmm ahhh you want me to upgrade your armor?"
*furiously hitting A to get past the text to have the upgrade happen"
"Which one?"
*select item*
"Hmm... ahh ohhhh here's an annoying little 10 second movie.."
*furiously hitting X to skip the annoying needless 10 second movie*
"Dat dadda da daaaaaa..............(cant hit A yet to get rid of the 'you got this thing' window)...
OK now you can hit A to continue...
"Ahh... its so beautiful... do you have others to upgrade?"

"Hmmmm ahhh you want me to upgrade your armor?"
Rinse/Repeat

Fuck man. Just let me select EVERYTHING I want to upgrade if I have the materials at that point and upgrade it in one shot.

edit: Oh, and building in this game is actually pretty fun. When you get rockets (yes... rockets) and you try to do shit and fail hilariously, that's some good hooliganing. There's also this that is possible:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Wii U is cheap, and is pretty easy to softmod and has 90% of the Switch library worth playing.

Sucks you didn't like the sequel to a game you didn't like in the first place. Not really sure why you played it

+1