Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, exactly. Terrible design in the US version. It's a shame because the AV Famicom is pretty much the same thing with a different video output and the composite is excellent.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
This is true. The RF on the thing is among the worst I've ever seen from a game system. They're really only useful if you do a video mod to them.

I'll second that, mine is heavily modded for RCA, stereo audio separation wheel in back, and a light under the power switch to light up red when on. Back in the day I did find a bypass for the jailbar crap video. I ran the system through a powered on RCA Proscan VCR and from that into the TV. The VCR worked as a filter for the shitty RF interference (jail bars) and it then spit out a very clean and clear image. As it is now I just have the modded one and 3 dogbones to have a supply over time.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Actually they don't. Not a vast amount more over a stock NES in good shape as one might think since there's so far less than the original. The margin isn't as much as you figure. Now if you mod one for RCA and the stuff like mine, then people pay quite a lot more for one.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

Nintendo has complied with open source license rules by offering downloads of the tiny hardware's Linux source files.

Now this is commendable and awesome by Nintendo. So often you see big companies not providing any source code no matter if they should. Nintendo is doing the right thing here. Now, I hope people don´t give them too much of a reason to regret this though of course this opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Nintendo should be praised for honoring the license rules and providing their source code.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I was able to put one of these in my cart on Walmart's site today, but it vanished at check out. I managed to buy a controller tho. Ugh.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I got an order for a console and a controller in today thankfully. It was a mess. Our Target got a whopping 2 of these and has not restocked.

nesclassic.jpg

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I was pretty excited for this when it was announced, but now that I've had some time to think about it, I'm not as excited any more. I already have an NES and the games that I really want.
I'll still pick one up eventually as a novelty, but I'll wait until after the holidays, whenever they're actually available.

One nice aspect about it being so small is that you can just throw it into a backpack and bring it around with you.

Also, I can't help but feel that I've seen this whole scenario play out before in the past: Hot new Nintendo item is wildly popular, but sold out everywhere right as the holidays approach. No one should be surprised this is happening.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
A Pi or Fire TV is a good deal more capable than this thing. It's the nostalgia feels that is getting some of us. I have 4 or 5 NES consoles, two of which are RGB modded. PowerPak, Everdrive and probably most if not all of the included games on real carts. It is not rational.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Looks like Ebay now has a scalper final sale price guarantee on the NES Mini...
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_guaranteed_profit_on_your_nes_classic_mini

If there is a hell...I hope the ebay collective goes there when they die. That piece of shit site has single-handedly ruined the reselling market and fueled an entire generation of scalpers and price gougers.

When people were literally trying to scalp fucking twinkies...you know it's all jumped the shark.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I was about to link that Classic NES shell housing a Pi system.

Agreed, fuck ebay. That's horrible. I had no idea they were doing that guaranteed price stuff on that. I guess the stuff I regularly put up there is so cheap they don't offer risk free money (mostly I put up $5 and up stuff.)

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I almost got this but realized I'd have never opened it and eventually just flipped it on eBay and didn't want to be part of the problem.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I've opened mine and enjoy it, but I refuse to play this thing anymore until I buy a damn controller extension. I refuse to put my ass on a hard wood floor. My ass deserves a nice soft sofa but that just isn't feasible with a damn 2 foot controller cord.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've opened mine and enjoy it, but I refuse to play this thing anymore until I buy a damn controller extension. I refuse to put my ass on a hard wood floor. My ass deserves a nice soft sofa but that just isn't feasible with a damn 2 foot controller cord.

Alternately, you could get an HDMI extension cable and keep the Mini next to you for faster game switching?

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Alternately, you could get an HDMI extension cable and keep the Mini next to you for faster game switching?

Now that's thinking outside of the box - BRILLIANT!!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

Best buy has them, usually under the Wii section, make sure to remove the clear piece in order to fit two extensions in the unit.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Either way you're getting an extension cord of some sort. Either the HDMI (and power too most likely), or the Wii extension cable piece since it uses that jack. I think those Wii cables are only third party and usually around 6ft in length.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Best buy has them, usually under the Wii section, make sure to remove the clear piece in order to fit two extensions in the unit.

Thanks homie. Looks like they have em online as well and I'd like to avoid the shops for the next couple of days, so I may just order them from BB. Free shipping too is nice.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
I bought a pair from Best Buy. I'm in a small town and I bet they had 20ish when I picked them up.

xorthen

Banned
When I said earlier that I would buy them and flip them for a profit I was being sarcastic. I didn't really expect people to go and start scalping these things. I mean, I had my doubts, but holy shit people are seriously paying the big bucks for these?