Nintendo 2DS .... WTF

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I...don't...know.

What to say. What to think.

I'm...confused. Monumentally...confused.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Well, if the price is low, it actually makes sense. My son is too young to play his 3ds in 3d, and we have him turn it off... and he does. How much money is being wasted on him and the lack of 3d use? I can see this selling to those that don't give a damn for the 3d. Hell, there are times I turn it off if the game doesn't support it well.

If it was the same price? Yes, stupid. But it won't be.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting.. I might check it out. Might be more comfortable to hold than my 3DS XL, and I rarely ever use 3D.

We didn't get a 3DS for my kids because of concern over the 3D aspect and developing eyesight. We would have picked these up though.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Perhaps Nintendo noticed a number of people who only play their 3DS in 2D on the Club Nintendo surveys? And because of that they believe this will be a good alternative? I still don't see it. Even if you're playing mostly in 2D (which I do) who doesn't want the clam shell design to protect those screens?

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I seriously checked the date to make sure it wasn't April. But, I do kind of want this. I have a peculiar penchant for unusual, unloved, and overlooked handhelds.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I think this thing is going to flop. Or at least be like the GBA micro. How many of those things sold? It's just too big, and I personally like the fact that a 3DS can fold into something smaller that I can fit in my pocket. I certainly don't carry around my Vita due to it's size. Nintendo always makes something in their lineage that just dones't make sense. I bet Japan doesn't even get this hardware, so silly :loco:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I think this thing is going to flop. Or at least be like the GBA micro. How many of those things sold? It's just too big, and I personally like the fact that a 3DS can fold into something smaller that I can fit in my pocket. I certainly don't carry around my Vita due to it's size. Nintendo always makes something in their lineage that just dones't make sense. I bet Japan doesn't even get this hardware, so silly :loco:

Well, the design makes sense for children, they took a cue from the millions of broken hinged handhelds from their past. Seems pretty apparent that it was designed for developing eyes, not adults. I think if they nail the price point, it will do alright.

It's $129.99 per IGN.. so $40 less than the vanilla 3DS.

I hope that includes a game or something - I feel like a $99.99 price point would be a shit-ton more appealing on this neutered block of plastic.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well, the design makes sense for children, they took a cue from the millions of broken hinged handhelds from their past. Seems pretty apparent that it was designed for developing eyes, not adults. I think if they nail the price point, it will do alright.

I guess in my eyes I would see buying my kid something that would grow with them. But then again I see kids at work with a 3DS and actually toss it around in the cart. :oh_no:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
lol two unprotected screen, yeah sure this is really something for the kids :lolz:
I hope Nintendo enjoys switching scratched screens.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I guess in my eyes I would see buying my kid something that would grow with them. But then again I see kids at work with a 3DS and actually toss it around in the cart. :oh_no:

Yowzas - I do agree with you on the growing with the kid.

I feel like there's a market research guy at Nintendo that made a case that there are enough parents freaked out by the 3D ruining their kids eyes, to warrant a separate device. I think it will do alright, because unless they're morons, they won't have flagship handheld expectations for it. It fills a niche that could pay off in the long run - get them young, like they did us. Gotta invest early, they're worried that they won't be able to catch the kids young enough to get the nostalgia-rehash sales in the future.

lol two unprotected screen, yeah sure this is really something for the kids :lolz:
I hope Nintendo enjoys switching scratched screens.

True that dude, Nintendo is nuts, nobody has ever sold a handheld to kids that didn't fold.

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
If the design was better I'd be all over this since I rarely use the 3D

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yowzas - I do agree with you on the growing with the kid.

I feel like there's a market research guy at Nintendo that made a case that there are enough parents freaked out by the 3D ruining their kids eyes, to warrant a separate device. I think it will do alright, because unless they're morons, they won't have flagship handheld expectations for it. It fills a niche that could pay off in the long run - get them young, like they did us. Gotta invest early, they're worried that they won't be able to catch the kids young enough to get the nostalgia-rehash sales in the future.

True that dude, Nintendo is nuts, nobody has ever sold a handheld to kids that didn't fold.

Obviously went over your head.

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
It is tablet-y. And the no hinge makes it more durable like the original Game Boy.

This guy predicted it back in 2011: http://www.rfgeneration.com/news/classic-gaming/Nintendo-2DS-The-Future-1674.php
17636Nintendo%202DS.jpg

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
They call it an "entry-level" handheld for those "who are just entering handheld gaming without 3D". They want to rush this out to get on the back of the new Pokemon launch. Instead of 2DS, why not DS....Doh!

Capt. Lurker

There's a post count?What the fuck isThat All abou
I think this thing is going to flop. :loco:

Leave it to Nintendont to create another useless gimmick.

The last good thing Nintendont ever made.... the SNES/Super Famicom!

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If it folded, I'd probably pick one up. The 3d gives me a headache. I'd just leave the 3DS in 2D mode anyway. That little chunky-chunk, though... Nah.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I do believe that I'll be picking one of those up. I don't give a rip about 3D, and that looks like it will be more comfortable to hold since I have big hands. Not really into the whole hinged thing. I don't see scratched screens being much of a problem since it (appears to) come with a soft sleeve.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I like having the top screen at an angle, lack of a hinge is a bummer.