NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I live less than an hour from Founders.... if anybody out west would like to trade for some Russian River, I'd be down.

Got a box in the mail from my brother overseas.... good stuff is so CHEAP over there!! I might make this a quarterly thing.

3F81D786-3954-41B5-AE93-51C009769549_zpsbead7u1e.jpg

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Had some French Broad Kolsch and New Belgian Ranger IPA last night. good stuff we just got new Belgian distribution locally so 12 paks are all $12.99 now (fat tire woo!)

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I'm in San Francisco for the next few days.

Decided to take a drive up to Santa Rosa and check out RRB.
FML - it's the week they release Pliny the Younger... I just want to hang out and drink some sours, not stand in line for 6 hours to get an IPA.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'm in San Francisco for the next few days.

Decided to take a drive up to Santa Rosa and check out RRB.
FML - it's the week they release Pliny the Younger... I just want to hang out and drink some sours, not stand in line for 6 hours to get an IPA.

Bummer.

I'm sure Younger is good. In fact, I'm sure it's probably great. There are just no beers though that are worth dealing with some of the insane crowds, crazy hype, and high prices that surround some of them these days.

Back in November the brewery I work at passed our 2000th batch. To commemorate it we brewed a huge black barleywine. It clocked in at 10.5% and we loaded it down with Amarillo and Galaxy hops. We just put it on tap this past weekend. I already drank a growler by myself. Holy shit I want to get some of the local guys to try it and give me honest feedback but I really think it might be one of the better beers we have ever made.

It was over 11 years from Batch 1 to Batch 1000 and under 6 years from 1000 to 2000. Things have gotten busier.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
So, we ended up at a bar here in SF called toronado that has PtY on tap. So we still got to try it. Honestly, pliny the elder is the first IPA I've ever enjoyed. I'm taking some bottles home with me. Lithy, I'd like to drink at your place sometime!

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Nice.

Got some Sierra Nevada devESTATEtion Ale. That was fantastic.

Looking for some Dogfish Head World Wide Stout...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just got back form visiting a friend in Sacramento, CA and it was beer week there... had a ton of good stuff.

But what stood out head and shoulders above the rest was High Water Brewing's Campfire stout:

1453233_419953718127389_763896941_n.jpg

It has hints of graham cracker, chocolate, and marshmallow. Yes, a s'mores beer. It's fucking awesome.

Also, my buddy let me try some of his Anderson Valley Wild Turkey Bourbon Barrel Stout. The wild turkey was strong with this one, almost a little too strong for my tastes but it's a really smooth beer, and if you like wild turkey you will love this:

andersonbourbon__17042_1364620751_1280_1280.jpg

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Nothing fancy tonight.

Goose Island IPA, Crabbies and Pilsner Urquell

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
this week I picked up my 16 bottles for this year...

893B7ECB-F17F-4D26-85E4-CCA49D962F9D_zpsi7klubcm.jpg

Would anyone on the west coast want to trade for some Russian River (specifically Pliny, supplication, beatification, temptation) ???
Along with some KBS, I can also get other Founders beers as well as most any Bells (sans hopslam).

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Had Founders for the first time last week as well as blue point toasted ale. Both delicious beers, with Founders being very hoppy.

Anyone know any good local beers in Wisconsin? Going to be there for a few days (la crosse/fort McCoy) and wanted to try something good.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Had Founders for the first time last week as well as blue point toasted ale. Both delicious beers, with Founders being very hoppy.

Anyone know any good local beers in Wisconsin? Going to be there for a few days (la crosse/fort McCoy) and wanted to try something good.

NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS

Seriously, New Glarus.

They are probably the best brewery going in my opinion. Everything and anything you can find will be above average to great.

Other Wisconsin breweries that bottle that I have liked (though I don't know about their distribution range), Central Waters, Tyranena, and Ale Asylum.

Also, you're very close to Minnesota, if Surly doesn't send beer to WI, make the trip into MN and get some Coffee Bender and others.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS NEW GLARUS

Seriously, New Glarus.

They are probably the best brewery going in my opinion. Everything and anything you can find will be above average to great.

Other Wisconsin breweries that bottle that I have liked (though I don't know about their distribution range), Central Waters, Tyranena, and Ale Asylum.

Also, you're very close to Minnesota, if Surly doesn't send beer to WI, make the trip into MN and get some Coffee Bender and others.

That New Glarus is phenomenal. Thanks a ton for the recommendation!

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I'm enjoying a Java Chip Mint Stout by Odd Side Ales. They are a newer brewery 20 min north of me. They just started releasing bottles.

What are you guys drinking tonight????

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Is founders supposed to be good or something?

The local supermarket recently had their Cherise for about $00.50 a bottle. The shit was asstastic.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
(Hopefully) going to World of Beer tomorrow in Katy. Will take photos :buttrock:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Is founders supposed to be good or something?

The local supermarket recently had their Cherise for about $00.50 a bottle. The shit was asstastic.

Founders makes very good beer on the whole. Cerise isn't my favorite of theirs (and if you don't like the style, you won't like the beer), but your local supermarket was probably closing them out because they're way past their prime.

Do yourself a favor and try some Dirty Bastard (or Backwoods Bastard if you can get it), Breakfast Stout (or KBS or CBS if you can get it), Centennial IPA, Double Trouble, Imperial Stout, Porter, or Red's Rye IPA. Those are their best beers.

going to have a few IPA beers today.

Nice! I got to enjoy a couple bottles of each of those last time I went to California.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Anybody here make their own bloodymaries?

I'd like to know your favorite beers to make them with and what you put in them.

Here's what I am used to:

one bottle Caguama beer or Rolling Rock
1/2-1 can V-8
1 tsp. Lemon
Dash of Garlic Salt
some fresh cilantro
1 tsp. La Victoria Salsa Brava.

Even if you don't make your own, how does your favorite bar make them?

Really want to find some good lagers that won't dominate the taste of the rest of the ingredients.

Last edited:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Here are a few beers I've had recently:

r5xhqpH.jpg

Don Jalapeno from No Label Brewery (Katy, TX). Refreshing with a good, mildly spicy bite.

rzoMqnk.jpg

First Stand Belgian Saison from Texian Brewing Co. (Richmond, TX) Not a bad Saison, but I'm also spoiled thanks to the 2013 limited Belgian Saison I had last year.

1EpU4hG.jpg

I don't remember drinking this one at all, and sadly I lost my notes on it.

370lvaA.jpg

This was one of the specialty beer shots offered at World of Beer. It's called a Cinnamon Toast Crunch with rumchata.

9YLqukR.jpg

La Socarrada from Cervesa Artesenal de Xativa (Xativa, Valencia, Spain) Brewed with rosemary honey and rosemary, it's probably one of the more unique beers I've had. You get the sweetness first and then a hit of herb and bitterness at the end.

Adt8ffq.jpg

I'm popping this guy open when I get home from France. It's Saint Arnold's Divine limited release. It comes out once a year and is difficult to get a hold of when it goes on sale. The recipe changes each year too, so I'm in the dark about any information.

KSiC4Xs.jpg

WHILE IN FRANCE, I've had Heineken (it tastes much better over here), Kronenberg (my chef-instructor insisted. It's slightly better over here), and Pelforth Brune (tastes like a maltier, slightly sharper Newcastle).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
that's a ton of stuff from Texas....and you got these while in France?

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
that's a ton of stuff from Texas....and you got these while in France?

The Texas beers came from World of Beer in Katy. Or what 'Sage said.

Edit: the restaurant I'm working at carries a single draft beer: Warsteiner of all things. It's considerably smoother compared to the bottled version.

Last edited: