New VHDL code with NEO-CTO function code: fix the scaling problems on Super MVS converter

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kyuusako put a lot of work on this and I believe every human being understand his point.

As a matter of close speculation, the free converter would cost in parts $40 or so.
If you sell for $60 you have enough margin for profit and for a donation to the man behind your product.
Besides, $60 on the Neo Scene is really cheap and would sell like water. Either way, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

$40? That's what, at least a 100 converter unit run. If you do 500 you can get it down even cheaper.

So who's designing the PCBs?

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
The price is high because of the connectors. On digi-key they cost $7 each even if you buy 1000.

The down side of doing a run of 500 is that it requires a lot of money that people might not have to start.

I'll ask to the designer if I can post his name up, I don't think this might be a problem at all but I don't feel like doing something and regretting later.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The price is high because of the connectors. On digi-key they cost $7 each even if you buy 1000.

The down side of doing a run of 500 is that it requires a lot of money that people might not have to start.

I'll ask to the designer if I can post his name up, I don't think this might be a problem at all but I don't feel like doing something and regretting later.

Is it going to have a shell as well or gonna look ala Phantom-1?

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Asked him. He said that would be no problem.

It's Furrtek.

I guess it's too early to tell but I would bet on the Phanton-1 style.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Asked him. He said that would be no problem.

It's Furrtek.

I guess it's too early to tell but I would bet on the Phanton-1 style.

Awesome, I hope it has a shell as when I had a P-1 too much of the stress from the extra weight damaged one of my slot connectors actually cracked my mobo.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
The problem you and I know, is the one you said in PM: it's so damm hard to mold plastic :(

Maybe when those new 3d printers get better it would be easier.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The problem you and I know, is the one you said in PM: it's so damm hard to mold plastic :(

Maybe when those new 3d printers get better it would be easier.

I guess when can always do what they did with the P1 which is sac a cart shell.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeap, you know that since the ZMC2 information is in the wild you can build the whole converter with just a single cart and the connector.

It would require tons of soldering skill but it's possible. Just cut the cartridge on half, cut the shell on half, add the connector on top, solder tons of small wires and keep the zmc2.

I hope, when we get the time to work on this to post a few pictures.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
I need to talk more to Kyuusaku about it, I'd like to handle the production and share the profits but I have some trouble sourcings those mvs connectors...
Will post the proto schematics as soon as they get checked.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Are you making carts for people now for only the price of parts? Didn't think so...

The good thing on this forum is that people with sense shows up. Thanks, Jeff.

BTW: my neobitz is still kicking here! ;)

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Seriously, these guys have spent a lot of their time working on their projects. If they want to make a converter, that's great news. They deserve to earn money on their work.

I also love what they are doing with the dev wiki! The whole bunch of them kick ass and deserve the community's support.

Jeff

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Scaling Issues
Compatibility Issues with newer titles and NGDEV games.
MSX Fix not implemented, in fact Neo Flash team mislead everyone that bought the converter to think MSX would work on their system if they bought the additional PSU which has been proven to not be the fix.

And probably some others.

It's pretty much given that FS 1.0 is not going to work on the AES console no matter what kind of converter is produced. The reason is because lack of the backup RAM.

It seems that Gunlord mvs isn't working with any converter on the AES console. Gee I wonder why...

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Why would I follow what "werejag" does? It's not like you're contributing to the neo scene. Your sig still has a reference to bootlegging carts in an indirect way. No disrespect to you as I have nothing against you but you're asking these guys to give you their hard work for free. I don't agree with that.

Jeff

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
jmkurts you tried to make a jab at me and it did fall flat. its cool... you brought in the carts ive built in the past and probly will make in the future just not now. you do make a good point and i know where your coming from. reasonable costs and recouping is of course part of this. all im hoping is something in the 50-100 dollar range. i can solder and do some nice work.

i can even do some work if they need a soldering monkey to reduce my costs.

i want to help in any way

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's pretty much given that FS 1.0 is not going to work on the AES console no matter what kind of converter is produced. The reason is because lack of the backup RAM.

It seems that Gunlord mvs isn't working with any converter on the AES console. Gee I wonder why...

The converters are suppose to work with all SNK released games. If it work with 100% of the original library it's up to NG: DEV.TEAM modify their new released games to work on those converters. Not the other way around.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
At most the Super MVS Converter II is missing a couple wires from "full compatibility", that's it.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
summarizing:
there's a new converter going to cost at most 60$ which play every (real) NeoGeo game without hooking up valves, nuclear reactor, handling pots, cast a magic upon it or similar? :P

Last edited:

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
@Alaska-:
That's our goal. Not saying we'll succeed at the first try but we know the logic is right at least... So the only thing that could go wrong is the wiring (extensively discussed in other topics, great help, pretty sure we're about done), and mechanical problems such as insertion force / contacts & shit.

profits? here we go again

Wasn't talking about a $200 margin.
And if zero profits is still too much for you, you will still be able to make it yourself with glue, wires and cardboard :)

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
sorry it was my jumping to conclusions. what can i do to help

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
@Alaska-:
That's our goal. Not saying we'll succeed at the first try but we know the logic is right at least... So the only thing that could go wrong is the wiring (extensively discussed in other topics, great help, pretty sure we're about done), and mechanical problems such as insertion force / contacts & shit.
sounds good, especially for the price, must be honest, which makes the trade off between converter and csmv evaporate. (unless you're not in EU with rgb-scart)
(props also for having it without any hassle and worrying about games not properly working)

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
If we ever get something working right with the few games I have, I'll hand the thing out to someone who has a big MVS collection to test the most games possible to make a compatibility list. So at least if we ever sell it, you'll know what particular games won't work, no secrets.

(Hoping we'll be close to 100%, but that would be too nice...)

Edit: http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=Open_hardware_MVS_converter

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Kyuusaku posted on the neo geo dev wiki a verilog code for the NEO-CTO, the chipset that controls the graphics on the Neo Geo.

This is good news for every Super MVS converter owner.
If the code is worked out to fit on the CPLD chip you could easily flash yours and get rid of the scaling problem.

Grande trabalho, muito obrigado :P

*Great work, thanks :P

I cant wait, for it.
if this converter goes LIVE, im sure gona buy an AES this time.

Thanks

EDIT : What do you guys need right now, on the parts thing?

Last edited: