New scientific study say video games cause depression, anxiety, social disorders, ect.

genjuro1

Ninja Combat Warrior
What's up everybody. I've been gone for awhile now. I just saw this news report a couple of days ago on tv. I also looked it up on the internet. The findings say that video game playing causes depression, anxiety, increased impulsivity, lack of empathy, social disorders, ect. And that these symptoms got better when the kids stopped playing video games. They did two studies with groups of teenagers and pre-teens Just do a simple google search (video games depression) and you can read it for yourselves.

But, (not because of this study) I don't play video games anymore. I got rid of all my video games. And like most of you, I had a massive collection starting with an Atari 2600, up to XBOX 360.

I'm 31 years old now, about to be 32 to in March. And the day before I saw that news report, I had a feeling that I needed to stop playing video games. I've been playing video games non-stop since I was 3 or 4 years old. I know there are guys in there 50's who still play. But for me, It felt like it was time.

I haven't been around here for a while because I've been actually keeping busy out in the world. Learning about life, learning about/trying to get closer to God. Reading and interacting with people alot more. I don't know if that scientific study is true or not, but I've always, been a super impulsive guy. I, (like everybody I suppose), have felt anxiety/dissapointment/sorrow at times. Whether or not video games excasserbated those emotions, I'm not sure. I've had a great time playing video games. The adrenaline rush/joy I got while playing was one the greatest things in my life. But everything in life has a beginning and an ending. Time for me to retire from video gaming. Didn't think it would be at this age though. My older step-brother is 38 and still go's hard with it (I haven't discussed it with him yet though). I'll still check unrelated from time to time to talk about some topics with yall. Most of yall are my type of dudes. I like hearing yall opinions/views on things.

If somebody already posted about this, my bad yall. But let me know what yall think about this scientific study.

-One

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That must be why we all come on here and be constant assholes to each other. Not my fault after all, I guess. Whew!

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
ANY hobby that keeps you alone will depress you....especially a useless one like gaming.

Going out and getting drunk all the time is bad, but you're officially fucked when you don't even go out and meet up with people to do so.

Conversely, if gaming took your ass out of the house to an arcade as a teenager, I don't think it would bear the same psychological/social pitfalls that home/online gaming carries.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
ANY hobby that keeps you alone will depress you....especially a useless one like gaming.

Going out and getting drunk all the time is bad, but you're officially fucked when you don't even go out and meet up with people to do so.

Word.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Confuscious say, "New video game study say..."

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Lemme just arrange these thumb tacks in perfectly horizontal order..

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lemme just arrange these thumb tacks in perfectly horizontal order..
I was thinking about that the other day, and I think that while it's probably a bitch to deal with in regular life, it's probably part of what makes you good at fighting games. I think that's why there are so many people here with at least slight OCD tendencies.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I can't wait to see studies on how these results are flawed and other studies showing the complete opposite.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
People who make their lives all about video games should get fat and die young, oh shit they already do. This generation of lard asses playing games and neglecting LIFE outside are sad BECAUSE of that. How many bloody studys do people need to banter on about before people realise that if your life is devoted to an anti-social single interest, you're going down a path of depression and sadness. When I was in my teens, games was my life but my life also really fucking sucked, I was 100kg and couldn't talk to a girl for the life of me. Fuck I spent the first 12 months of my first job grunting as I didn't even have the social skills to talk to my boss let alone anyone I worked with. Fast forward 6 years and I'm 65kg, a completely different person, in a great long term relationship and earning some good coin.

All it took was a realization at age 16 to lose the weight, change my habits and focus on social interaction. My parents didn't seem to give a shit where I was going, for breaking the norm of being a loner in my room was a bad thing ofcourse. :rolleyes: If you let children hide themselves away from the world because they can't stand getting outside or they're afraid of social rejection then yes they'll end up depressed, socially retarded and have a seriously hard time enjoying life outside a video game. This seems to be common as parents just want to 'shut the kids up'. Great going parents of the year, you've fucked yourself and your kid and they'll have a hard time breaking the cycle later. I'm just lucky I figured I had a social side to me that was unexplored. I discovered this with the early use of alcohol as a social lubricant. I noticed that not only did my confidence increase a bucketload but I had a hell of a lot more to talk about. Because I wasn't scared. When you're scared of the unknown and parents coddle you, you don't realise it until its a little late.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone but overall it does happen and I've seen it a lot. Self control is something MORE people need. I've found my interest in games has declined and my attention span also. Don't even talk to me about RPG's or anything that I cant play for 10mins, get nowhere and put down. This is why street fighter or KOF appeal to me so much. It asks nothing of you and yet you can have fun. World of warcraft makes me want to slice your balls off because that's basically what you're doing anyway.

End Rant.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
People who make their lives all about video games should get fat and die young, oh shit they already do. This generation of lard asses playing games and neglecting LIFE outside are sad BECAUSE of that. How many bloody studys do people need to banter on about before people realise that if your life is devoted to an anti-social single interest, you're going down a path of depression and sadness. When I was in my teens, games was my life but my life also really fucking sucked, I was 100kg and couldn't talk to a girl for the life of me. Fuck I spent the first 12 months of my first job grunting as I didn't even have the social skills to talk to my boss let alone anyone I worked with. Fast forward 6 years and I'm 65kg, a completely different person, in a great long term relationship and earning some good coin.

All it took was a realization at age 16 to lose the weight, change my habits and focus on social interaction. My parents didn't seem to give a shit where I was going, for breaking the norm of being a loner in my room was a bad thing ofcourse. :rolleyes: If you let children hide themselves away from the world because they can't stand getting outside or they're afraid of social rejection then yes they'll end up depressed, socially retarded and have a seriously hard time enjoying life outside a video game. This seems to be common as parents just want to 'shut the kids up'. Great going parents of the year, you've fucked yourself and your kid and they'll have a hard time breaking the cycle later. I'm just lucky I figured I had a social side to me that was unexplored. I discovered this with the early use of alcohol as a social lubricant. I noticed that not only did my confidence increase a bucketload but I had a hell of a lot more to talk about. Because I wasn't scared. When you're scared of the unknown and parents coddle you, you don't realise it until its a little late.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone but overall it does happen and I've seen it a lot. Self control is something MORE people need. I've found my interest in games has declined and my attention span also. Don't even talk to me about RPG's or anything that I cant play for 10mins, get nowhere and put down. This is why street fighter or KOF appeal to me so much. It asks nothing of you and yet you can have fun. World of warcraft makes me want to slice your balls off because that's basically what you're doing anyway.

End Rant.

You know for some reason it reminds me of:

"Hey Faggots,

My name is John, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded, no-lifes who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass pictures. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any pussy? I mean, I guess it's fun making fun of people because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to pictures on facebook.

Don't be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I'm pretty much perfect. I was captain of the football team, and starter on my basketball team. What sports do you play, other than "jack off to naked drawn Japanese people"? I also get straight A's, and have a banging hot girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.

Pic Related: It's me and my bitch"

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

"Hey Faggots,

My name is John, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are fat, retarded, no-lifes who spend every second of their day looking at stupid ass pictures. You are everything bad in the world. Honestly, have any of you ever gotten any pussy? I mean, I guess it's fun making fun of people because of your own insecurities, but you all take to a whole new level. This is even worse than jerking off to pictures on facebook.

Don't be a stranger. Just hit me with your best shot. I'm pretty much perfect. I was captain of the football team, and starter on my basketball team. What sports do you play, other than "jack off to naked drawn Japanese people"? I also get straight A's, and have a banging hot girlfriend (She just blew me; Shit was SO cash). You are all faggots who should just kill yourselves. Thanks for listening.

That made me laugh.

This is what you get for an early morning, pre coffee forum post on a topic that continually shits me.

That said, tear me to shreds. Im no superstar and I'am a bit of an asshole.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
man... if I wasn't so sad about my life,
I would lash out at you for that scrapbooking comment.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One

"Hey Faggots,

:lolz: oh man, that was awesome. Reminds me of ol metalczar... just add out of context English and you've got it

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Actually it's pretty simple, the dose makes the poison. You can eat too much, drink too much or game to much, all of which may or may not have an impact on your health and social life. Some people are more vulnerable in this regard, they quickly lose control when it comes to these things but IMO that's not a problems of video games per se.

Oh, and about lard asses who only play games and die young... well... it's all quite meaningless if you come to think of it, you'll die anyway so you could as well spend your earthly days with something you like. Waste of time? Probably, but then again, what isn't.

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Hey Genjuro, long time no see, man. Good to know you still kicking around. Well, I can respect your decision to go cold turkey. I mean, we all have our paths to choose and life decisions: whatever makes you happiest and doesn't hurt you or anyone else -- by all means go for it.

However, like most things in life, it's all about moderation and a healthy balance. If you're cutting out on social events to just stay home and play games, then yeah, you'll miss out on life. Nothing beats coming home from hanging out, and just kicking back with a game for an hour or so. You don't feel so guilty haha and it's just a nice way to end a long active day.

I don't know how long I'll be playing games. Til I get tired of them, I suppose. Right now am enjoying the single life though, and in no rush to "find the one." I figure as long as I take care of my stuff, she'll bump into me. Hopefully she'll be cool with my game collection and hobby, but who knows, family life can really change people and their hobbies/priorities. So as always, we'll see. But for now, I still enjoy the old games, and as long as I enjoy 'em, I'll keep playin' them.

Be well amigo.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The findings say that video game playing causes depression, anxiety, increased impulsivity, lack of empathy, social disorders, ect. And that these symptoms got better when the kids stopped playing video games. They did two studies with groups of teenagers and pre-teens Just do a simple google search (video games depression) and you can read it for yourselves.

If I were forced to play ET for the Atari 2600 as part of their week long study, I can see that they would get the exact same conclusions about me as well.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I was thinking about that the other day, and I think that while it's probably a bitch to deal with in regular life, it's probably part of what makes you good at fighting games. I think that's why there are so many people here with at least slight OCD tendencies.

Actually, I'll discuss my own OCD and what OCD really is from someone who actually has it.. Some doctors are morons with this stuff. Funny thing, most people have a very basic view of the disorder, but its a special one, because its a disorder in the brain itself.

Common misconception to be honest. Many people with OCD have high intelligence, but OCD is this rotten horrible feeling you can't shake loose until you do something to stave it off. My life and things I do in it are painfully complex, and I can hide it so well, people would never know unless I shared all the totally insane shit I do in total secrecy. Always without reason I have constant anxiety and feelings of anxiety. Its like nearly constant.. I realize its not real, but the feelings to repair the situation are so powerful, most times I fail and give in. Its crazy man, I can't even explain this process accurately in the english language to someone who doesn't live with it.

None of my game skill can be attributed to OCD, because OCD can only exist with negative dislike of the thought in question. I like games, so that is entirely me, not OCD. If I hated games and it was a OCD obsession, I'd be one of the best players on planet earth and miserable as hell doing it. That's how much detail goes into this stuff. Gaming talent is strictly based on the time we put into games. If OCD took that over, I'd be playing games 9 hours a day if I'm a real mess.

Its supposedly due to a lack in the brain to filter thoughts in the caudate nucleus or such. To give you a example... If you worried you ran over a person driving home, you'd laugh it off. Someone with ocd might latch onto that thought as a trigger because just the thought of such a thing may terrify the sufferer, and it will become a fear, then its given this bizarre power to where its significant in your mind. Now the messed up part is that you can't make it go away because its significant, so you dredge it up and it just controls your entire life. This can happen with basically ANYTHING that's significantly scary that creates a lasting trigger effect.

No matter how ridiculous it is. Logic doesn't mean a thing when that terrible feeling is pervasive.. This is the process and how all my triggers have started, and it'll become worse then a fear, it'll become a near schizophrenic level image to where you swear that it probably happened, so ontop of the fear, any thought of a missing detail may become its own separate monster, and you can second guess your own memories in the worst situations. It always feels that its just not entirely real, but the feelings don't go away, so it goes on.

This creates a near schizophrenic level view of what is real and what isn't. It may seem totally real because of the overwhelming amount of fight or flight fear that accompanies it. It is so powerful, it can manipulate your entire perception of what reality is when poor insight is in the mix.

Those scenario's I've lived since I was ten years old when it onset. I've been all over the globe with different types of OCD, its the same beast no matter what the subject matter is. Now a days I mainly revolve around nearly perfect moral obligations to others. Its actually tough for me to buy games on even neo-geo.com. If I find out someone uses paypal gift, I'll see it as violating paypal policy and have to pay with a money order just to feel im 'doing the right thing'.. I won't even use that paypal option because I'll feel obligated to report to comcast I engaged in dealings with someone who did that, since I'm using their service. It trickles down. I know its completely nuts, but this is the way it is currently..

My main failure in my life is being able to just keep some things that are hurtful to myself because I worry that I'm just a flat out bad person at times if I'm not totally honest about stuff nobody would share. You can only imagine how crazy this can become. I know it sounds like totally crazy behavior, but it comes with such intensity its unreal. I'm flat out terrified of some subject matter in places of dishonesty, and this came totally out of nowhere one day and totally controlled the comfort of my life and everything in it. This was never a issue 7 years ago. I was involved in a entirely different subject.

It basically changes like pop trends.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

And this must be why I suck at fighting games.