New "Retro VGS" 2D Cartridge-based console

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Doesn't kickstarter require a prototype? A Nintendo Snes is not a prototype. I'd report it to KS on the 26th.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Is he sacrificing Jag shells for this BS or producing more from moulds?

If he is saccing old Jag shells then that, despite what anyone thinks of the Atari Jaguar, is a crime.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

If he is saccing old Jag shells then that, despite what anyone thinks of the Atari Jaguar, is a crime.

He spent like all his money to buy the molds for the jaguar and is to find a way to make then print money.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member

Right now, I'd guess he's tearing down old consoles for the shells. (That's more sensible than trying to run prototype shells when you already know you've got the final mould.)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
He bought the shells from the dental company that was using the jaguar mold.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Right now, I'd guess he's tearing down old consoles for the shells. (That's more sensible than trying to run prototype shells when you already know you've got the final mould.)

when you have the mold- even a short run of 100 wont cost that much. he's attempting to show off proof of concept and take it to toy conventions to get the big retail sale. no way is he sacrificing old shells when he can have shiny and new ones to show off on the cheap.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
The Imagin Hot Rod.
HotRod.png

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Doesn't kickstarter require a prototype? A Nintendo Snes is not a prototype. I'd report it to KS on the 26th.

The theory is he is going to try to game Kickstarter by showing the footage from Toy Fair.

"See? We have a prototype."

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah, he owns the molds for the Jag and the cart shells. The Jag community is against him because he could be selling the cart shells on the cheap for homebrew developers (there is a decent Jag homebrew scene), but his prices are ridiculous. He's not a member of the community, he just sees gamers and collectors as a way to profit.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
The theory is he is going to try to game Kickstarter by showing the footage from Toy Fair.

"See? We have a prototype."

This honestly sounds like criminal activity. I'm so disappointed, I probably would have bought this console too (if it was an original console)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The fellas at atari age installed an snes mini into a jag shell.. the difference between their experiment and the retro vgs? electrical tape and black plastic bag.

SKiknVx.png

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'm late to the party in this thread, but this whole thing seems stupid. I wasn't playing those old systems because I really liked jamming a cart in a slot. I just liked the games. I don't need this bullshit "retro" system to play good games.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
That kickstarter needs to fail miserably, or else it sets a dangerous precedent among the various retro communities.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hahaha, this gets better and better.

I'm also just amazed at how lazy this is. It takes seconds to wire up the LED and there must be an easy way to solder the on/off-button in.
And it's so revealing on the whole "retro fan scene"-bullshit, all those dumb fucks still hyped for this shit.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Oh man, what a mess! I thought maybe they'd have learnt from the big fuck up last time, but apparently not. Surely they'd realise that people would see through this? Surely they didn't think the people interested in their product were that stupid?

I really was hoping they'd get it right this time, I was willing to give this a chance and to give them my money if they just had something worthwhile to show. That's me out, but I'm going to be watching this mess with interest.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The fellas at atari age installed an snes mini into a jag shell.. the difference between their experiment and the retro vgs? electrical tape and black plastic bag.

SKiknVx.png

This shit is hilarious.

With no real recourse, this will be like literally burning your money if you donate to this guy's Kickstarter.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
This shit is hilarious.

With no real recourse, this will be like literally burning your money if you donate to this guy's Kickstarter.

Assuming it gets funded, which it won't. At least not if they are gonna ask for $2 million again.

BodyHammeR

I quoted Rot., He Went in DRY!
So anyone want to place bets on what amazing new retro gaming console they're going to announce a kickstarter for in Round 3 when this fails?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
i
This thing is a mess. Didn't know it is the same guy behind Retro Magazine.

NOT to be mistaken with the now long running and well established UK RETRO Magazine.

Retro Magazine (the other one) was Kickstarted by Mike Kennedy in late 2013, promising to bring back a retro gaming-inspired magazine to the US. I was on board and signed up. After a rocky first year that ended on a decent note and showed some promise, I backed them a second year.

BIG MISTAKE.

The whole publication is a farce and wildly inconsistent. Actually, the only thing consistent about it is the slow ass pace at which the issues arrive. The last issue was received in August or September. Yeah. They just shipped the current one about 2 weeks ago they say, 10 days maybe, and I haven't got squat yet.

Basically, there are no rigid deadlines. The magazine has gone months without an issue (it's supposed to be bi-monthly but that was thrown out the window NOT six months into its run). I doubt there will be a 3rd year and if there is, I sure as hell am not backing them.

The magazine itself is pretty piss poor. It's small, not very fun to read and feels more like a modern gaming magazine with just enough retro flashes that they think they can slap RETRO on the title and call it a day.

A very disappointing product.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
i

NOT to be mistaken with the now long running and well established UK RETRO Magazine.

Retro Magazine (the other one) was Kickstarted by Mike Kennedy in late 2013, promising to bring back a retro gaming-inspired magazine to the US. I was on board and signed up. After a rocky first year that ended on a decent note and showed some promise, I backed them a second year.

BIG MISTAKE.

The whole publication is a farce and wildly inconsistent. Actually, the only thing consistent about it is the slow ass pace at which the issues arrive. The last issue was received in August or September. Yeah. They just shipped the current one about 2 weeks ago they say, 10 days maybe, and I haven't got squat yet.

Basically, there are no rigid deadlines. The magazine has gone months without an issue (it's supposed to be bi-monthly but that was thrown out the window NOT six months into its run). I doubt there will be a 3rd year and if there is, I sure as hell am not backing them.

The magazine itself is pretty piss poor. It's small, not very fun to read and feels more like a modern gaming magazine with just enough retro flashes that they think they can slap RETRO on the title and call it a day.

+1

The big clue should have been Kennedy's pitch for the second year that the first issues 'were already collector's items.'

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i

BIG MISTAKE.

Mike Kennedy was instrumental in making the Tony-a-thon happen. He helped me out when he had never heard of me. I've met him in person. On that day i shook his hand and profusely thanked him for helping out with the tony thing. He was a genuinely nice guy who genuinely cared about the gaming community. That was 3 years ago now.

I backed year 1 of retro out of the respect i had for him. By year 2 my business was in full swing and i not only backed, but I bought an ad that i ran in his magazine. This is when things started to go to shit between us. Retro year 2 has been a spotty delivery mess. He gave himself his own cover story in one issue (the previously failed version of this console) which was pure lip service to himself. One of the Retro Year 2 backers who i know personally also bought a full page ad from his KS. He got fucked out of it and it never ran, even though it was bought and paid for. I have not received an issue since august, even though it should have continued for a few more issues.

He is a man who has drank his own kool-aid. He does not see the damage he does to both his friends who have been there as well as to the overall community. He feels that his logic is infallible and he bans everyone from his company fb page who even raises a question he does not feel like answering. He lost a great engineer with the original retro console, and replaced him with an snes pcb.

While I am thankful for what he did for me years ago, he has since become something of an arrogant bastard. A man who can never be wrong. A man who knows whats best for everyone no matter how much people tell him the contrary. He has a couple companies that he syphoned money from to create this third one cutting out any backers he had in his previous endeavors.

Get bent, Mike Kennedy.