New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
It's really strange there haven't been any impressions so far....not only on here, but in general. I'm really hoping the best for the game and want to to be good, mostly because I really liked what I saw (and heard) in the initial videos.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Yeah Franco, you must have played a few credits at this point....what do think of it?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah Franco, you must have played a few credits at this point....what do think of it?

Maybe he's been too busy playing the game to post his opinions? :)

Last edited:

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
The game is great, feels abit slow when your hard firing but that helps dodging the bullets, each ship is colored diffrently depending on difficulty setting, but what's confusing is when my ship is red and the enemy's bullets are red and the screen is filled with those big chunky bullets then it gets confusing.
I ain't played to much as you can see my setup is temporary as I'm moving house soon that's why.
The graphics are spectacular and when my neighbour came round he was shocked to see the graphics and colour pallet it was pushing.
I find the music is banging as with most ng Dev games they know what BGM to go for,
Get the game if your thinking of it as it's worth the money and supporting games for the system,

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Well, that sounds excellent so far, thanks!

Is the music really on par with the one from the early videos? I loved those tracks and have been hoping ever since they'd be in the game.

pipes

Yeah, sounds good Franco! Mine was delayed because I specified a blue plastic cart shell but it'll be shipped out tomorrow.

Did anyone else go with the plastic cart shell or am I the only one not thrilled with the wood?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yeah, sounds good Franco! Mine was delayed because I specified a blue plastic cart shell but it'll be shipped out tomorrow.

Did anyone else go with the plastic cart shell or am I the only one not thrilled with the wood?

Funny, I chose the wooden one because all the MVS carts are plastic and I wanted this to stand out in the collection :P

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
My last hope pink bullets came with a blue shel but the wooden ones just feel worth the money, and look more rare and limited.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic

I like the wood, stands out. Goes inside the cab though.

pipes

I like the wood, stands out. Goes inside the cab though.

For me it stands out enough being that they are in blue colored shells. All my other NG DEV games are the same so why make this different was my reasoning. I like that the wood shells are easier to open though....that's a bonus.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Just got an order update. Preparing for shipment. Hopefully it gets here soon.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Got my order update, for real this time, as well... Also, completely happy with the wood shells. They look nice and are really easy to open for updates, which I'm sure we'll have. I like their blue shells as well, and have a couple, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them on any games I order. The wood is a-ok with me.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
The wooden shell looks really nice, do they also make these for the AES version of their games?

pipes

It looks like I'll have the rare plastic shell version then.....one of a kind :)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just got my shipped notification.

I dig the blue shells AND the wood ones, but I've been getting the wood ones because I didn't want them to run out of the blue and then my newer NGDEV games not match...
I have serious OCD issues with matching.

pipes

....I've been getting the wood ones because I didn't want them to run out of the blue and then my newer NGDEV games not match...
I have serious OCD issues with matching.

Yeah, it seems the blue shells are not readily available anymore and NG DEV does not stock them either. My order was delayed because they were searching for a shell for me. It shipped today though :)

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
Here's a question for those with the wood carts. Is yours going in screws-down with the license sticker on the top (larger) bit of wood? Mine is. This means updating it will be hell on earth because of the location of the USB port. Also I notice there's no offset at all to the PCBs, unlike Neo XYX which was perfect in that regard (side note, my Xyx came mis-assembled initially). With this Razion cart it's easy to insert it upside down because of the lack of offset. In fact that's why I took the lid off, to see which way up the cart was supposed to go before powering it on.

Quick impressions - NG hardware is pretty much being pushed as far as it will ever go, maniac mode has quite a lot of slowdown which is a shame, normal mode just has a small amount. Music is great, still would have preferred hand drawn graphics but it looks nice. Ship is slower than expected in focus fire, not bad just surprising. Method of locking cubes is interesting, almost innovative but shooting tokens to eventually result in better values has been done before. Player missiles are not as distracting as in initial or later videos, enemy bullets could do with being just a tiny bit brighter. It's nice to have scenery to dodge again.

Also what does 'MCU error' mean when it just splats it onto the screen and hangs? I reseated the cart, played it for a good half an hour and this didn't happen again. My MVS motherboard gets very little use and is probably the culprit.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I just take both PCBs out, connect USB, then place the boards in by themselves to do an update.

I said this before, but there really should be an external USB jack on that cart shell. It would only take a small wire connected to the PCB to achieve that and would mean updating was a breeze. Not sure why that hasn't happened. But, yeah, take the boards out or it's pretty impossible to update the game.

pipes

Yeah, like Rabbit said, just take the pcb's out completely and insert them without the shell. I've always done it this way. Couldn't be easier really.

S11: nice to hear your thoughts on the gameplay....thanks for that.