New Neogeo Wireless Joystick Controller

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
My two units arrived here in Sweden today, hopefully I'll be able to pick them up tomorrow after work. super fast shipping, thanks again Mike! :)

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
My two units arrived here in Sweden today, hopefully I'll be able to pick them up tomorrow after work. super fast shipping, thanks again Mike! :)

Wow, that was fast! Congratulations on being customer #1! In fact that's the only set I've personally shipped and a unique case in that it will be used primarily with conventional 2AA's vs. lithium ions.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Wow, that was fast! Congratulations on being customer #1! In fact that's the only set I've personally shipped and a unique case in that it will be used primarily with conventional 2AA's vs. lithium ions.

I appreciate that. I’ve already charged the batteries ;)
I will now be able to play with friends without having to worry that someone will tear down the system from the shelf in excitement ;)

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Nice one, can we use that?

Of course ;)
I think the USP in this project is that you don’t need to modify you controllers or system to play wireless (I’ll be using it as a “dongle”). I sometimes prefer the CD controller for schmups and other times I want to use the fighting stick...
I’ll leave feedback when I’ve tested it :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
This is something I worked on with the help of several people on the forum. The ngdev page was added around the time HPMAN released his version. Once his was released I cancelled mine and stopped all work on the project. I made a handful of these and gave them to a few people.

Here's the original thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?217087-New-Project-MV-IC-Replacement-edit-New-Projects-KE-4-player-and-Jong-Controller&highlight=kizuna
I just recently read that thread (and this one) because I was wondering how to hook up the additional controllers for Kizuna. Does anyone know where I could get a board/adapter? I know I'm like 2 years too late for this and I'm sorry for the derail of this thread...

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Of course ;)
I think the USP in this project is that you don’t need to modify you controllers or system to play wireless (I’ll be using it as a “dongle”). I sometimes prefer the CD controller for schmups and other times I want to use the fighting stick...
I’ll leave feedback when I’ve tested it :)

Right , the transmitter will mate up to any neo stick or supergun db15 connector with no need for cable/controller hacking. The reciever pinout also directly matches the neo or the db15 supergun standard but for connection to a stock Neo you still need a joystick extension cable due to the Neo's deep db15 connectors. This annoyed me enough to also break out the same lines on screw terminals for those wanting to make it an internal mod.

Edit:

Here's an example of a DB15 extension cable that will mate the receiver up to the Neo's connectors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-AES-MVS...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item233bf1ca04

That's quite a long cable for this purpose but I can attest to the quality. It also *may* be the same one Tototek carries for $7.99

http://www.tototek.com/store/index....ducts_id=192&zenid=m4qag7f6pkilttk4qfb1jnkdr2

Last edited:

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Here's an example of a DB15 extension cable that will mate the receiver up to the Neo's connectors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-AES-MVS...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item233bf1ca04

That's quite a long cable for this purpose but I can attest to the quality. It also *may* be the same one Tototek carries for $7.99

http://www.tototek.com/store/index....ducts_id=192&zenid=m4qag7f6pkilttk4qfb1jnkdr2

Thanks for the info. I think Jasen mentioned this in the YouTube video and I've got at least two SNK extension cables back home so it's no problem. I might try to find a shorter cable later but for now they will work great.

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a stock of 50 extensions coming in. Not sure exactly when they will get here, but they will soon enough. I will have them listed as soon as I can.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I have a stock of 50 extensions coming in. Not sure exactly when they will get here, but they will soon enough. I will have them listed as soon as I can.

Nice. Do you know if they are the "deep" db15 connectors that will plug into an aes/MVS system without modification?

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kuze, yes they are the deep socketed ones. Ill test them out first of course to make sure they work as advertised with the MVS/AES.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Kuze, yes they are the deep socketed ones. Ill test them out first of course to make sure they work as advertised with the MVS/AES.

Nice dude, I'll probably buy one or two of those from you then dependent on pricing.

Just got a neo extension cable in the mail today so I could finally test out the Morpheus.....works fantastic! I couldn't be more pleased.

I would advise against using super cheap lithium ion batteries... I picked up two for $0.25 a piece at frys (3.7v 1000mah) and apparently they are duds. The leds don't light up on the morpheus at all.

I got one of those same lithium ions that you show on the jasen's customs site, and rewired the JST connector on it and it worked right out of the box!

Well, at first the receiver was tripping out -- my CPS2 test menu showed a and b alternating on/off while buttons 2-4 were a constant on. I disconnected the receiver board from my supergun, plugged it back in and it started working great!

One weird thing I've never seen before was some (debug?) info shown overlayed on top of the CPS2 game I was testing (SFZ2A), three series of #s, which went away after I reconnected the receiver board. I guess the CPS2 game was responding to the button inputs from the receiver board.

Anyways, the Morpheus solution works as great (or better) than I had hoped -- no noticeable input lag, easy configuration and setup, and no real issues once I got it working.

One thing that would certainly be nice would be some sort of enclosure at least for the transmitter board/battery. I might come up with something on my own, but it would be really cool to see a nice one put out by you guys.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
rj7b0Td.jpg

Too bad these suckers didn't work! Oh well, the arduino batteries aren't too expensive and should last awhile.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Hi Kuze,

I'm glad to hear you've got your Morpheus set up and running. Too bad about the $0.25 batteries, have you tried checking them with a multimeter? Perhaps they just need to be charged?

>>One thing that would certainly be nice would be some sort of enclosure at least for the transmitter board/battery. I might come up with something on my own, but it would be really cool to see a nice one put out by you guys.

I couldn't find a cost effective way to do this. It would have been around $20 extra for an enclosure for both TX/RX PCB's. If it helps I can release the schematic footprint if someone wants to take a shot a designing something.

Last edited:

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi Kuze! I'll echo what Mike is saying... try charging the batteries.

I am about 3 days away from breaking down and getting a 3D printer to build stuff with... including an enclosure for these. I found a great one that has a good work space volume that will do a lot of cool stuff. It releases July 7 and I just happened to be getting my annual bonus soon :-D Seems like a logical thing to have in the "shop" since I do custom work!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hi Kuze! I'll echo what Mike is saying... try charging the batteries.

I am about 3 days away from breaking down and getting a 3D printer to build stuff with... including an enclosure for these. I found a great one that has a good work space volume that will do a lot of cool stuff. It releases July 7 and I just happened to be getting my annual bonus soon :-D Seems like a logical thing to have in the "shop" since I do custom work!

Ha! Sweet! I was actually just headed over to the thread to get some input from you guys about designing a 3D printed enclosure for the Morpheus. I've been thinking about it since I made my 3D printing thread and have gotten a few requests for it actually!
Maybe we can collaborate on it? I'm planning on making anything I design freely available to people with 3D printers, and if you wanted to design anything I could print and send it to you to test out.

If it helps I can release the schematic footprint if someone wants to take a shot a designing something.

This would be massive, and if you've got any input on how the case could be best arranged internally, what size battery to plan for etc. it would be excellent. It's too bad it needs an extension cord to plug into the Neo though, a self contained pack that just plugs in the front would have been sweet. I don't know a lot about the internals of the extension cords, but maybe that could be solved with some 3D printing ingenuity as well?

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
This would be massive, and if you've got any input on how the case could be best arranged internally, what size battery to plan for etc. it would be excellent. It's too bad it needs an extension cord to plug into the Neo though, a self contained pack that just plugs in the front would have been sweet. I don't know a lot about the internals of the extension cords, but maybe that could be solved with some 3D printing ingenuity as well?

Here's a link to the CadSoft Eagle board footprints for both the transmitter and receiver: http://www.epromfoundry.com/TX_RX_Footprints.zip . You of course will need Eagle installed to view that but luckily there is a free downloadable version here: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/ .

Regarding replacing the need for extension cords, I don't know if a 3D printer will help there. All I can think of is designing something that looks like the end of a Neo Joystick cable.

Thanks!

Mike

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
I looked into (briefly) getting some deep socket cables made. At the end of the day it was cheaper to import them from HK and CHINA than to make some.

For the SuperGun builds I can simply hook it up to the front of an existing SG. I am going to make a MK30 with the wireless RX built into the case so its internal. That should be killer!

Last edited:

purple

Geese's Thug
Still cant wait to see it, and pairing it with custom built joystick is perfect.
I looked into (briefly) getting some deep socket cables made. At the end of the day it was cheaper to import them from HK and CHINA than to make some.

For the SuperGun builds I can simply hook it up to the front of an existing SG. I am going to make a MK30 with the wireless RX built into the case so its internal. That should be killer!

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
My shipment of generic extensions showed up today! A lot faster than I thought they'd be here. Ill test some out and let everyone know how they worked out.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I've finally been able to test the wireless controllers and they work absolutely great! Played MSX and Blazing star for 2 hours and I didn't notice any delay whatsoever. I walked away approx. 35 feet (longest distance I could do in my apartment) and it still had full connection with the receiver. The test was performed with both a CD controller and a arcade stick with turbo button ;)

View attachment 15851

If anyone will make an enclosure I'm interested in two units :)

Jasen Hicks

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nice! I'm investing in a 3D printer just for this reason! Glad Morpheus worked well for you! Mike did a great job with them and I'm very happy to not only stick them but use them in my builds!

Did I ever mention that we have these working with PS3 and PC?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Nice! I'm investing in a 3D printer just for this reason! Glad Morpheus worked well for you! Mike did a great job with them and I'm very happy to not only stick them but use them in my builds!

Did I ever mention that we have these working with PS3 and PC?

You mentioned it but I haven't seen any links to the ps3/PC firmwares or instructions on flashing to the Rx board