New neogeo homebrew in development : TEOT

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
It’s looking more like a Neo Geo game and less MUGEN so that’s good.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Wow this is looking more and more like a fully fleshed out game. Nice to see the progress on this title.

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Thanks for the kind words :)

I understand the concern about it turning out like a cheap MUGEN... I think it's bound to have some sort of MUGENy feel to it, given how much we've been borrowing from other games - which I think is fine given that Korean games of that period often had that knock off/ rip off flair.
But yes, we're certainly aiming at making "a Neo Geo game", not "a game on the Neo Geo" and it's great if it's beginning to show :snack:

Cheers

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Wow, I gotta admit, this does indeed look much better then before and the project itself seems much more promising now.

It actually does have some of that NeoGeo feel to it now. I enjoyed the nice touch of having that lambada continue screen music as well.

One thing I gotta ask though, what’s the deal with that Mortal Kombat Dan Forden “toasty” pop up thing?! Was that just some silly temporary thing thrown in by the programmers for fun? Or is that a legit part of the game? Or maybe an Easter egg?

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Thanks Supergun.
The lambada and the Arnie pic were nicked from another Korean game, Best of Best. Which is exactly what it says on the tin.
The toasty thing is indeed part of the game. It'll pop when the anti-combo-of-doom save is triggered (the fighter is knocked down when he suffers a certain amount of combo damage). There's a cycle of 8 faces, each coming with its own voice sample.

toasty.png

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Thanks Supergun.
The lambada and the Arnie pic were nicked from another Korean game, Best of Best. Which is exactly what it says on the tin.
The toasty thing is indeed part of the game. It'll pop when the anti-combo-of-doom save is triggered (the fighter is knocked down when he suffers a certain amount of combo damage). There's a cycle of 8 faces, each coming with its own voice sample.

View attachment 50807
I dig the small easter egg details. Its 2021 for fuck sake, have fun with the game you are making. Neo is long dead and there is no reason to take everything super seriously as if it were a retail title.
Game is looking better and better! Keep it up dudes!

geladobom

War Room Troll
I understand it's a new game and it's pretty good, but i still want to see at least the same version from 3DO, MS-DOS Version if is possible. Even if is made by you.
And Warlocks of the fates needs a remake too.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I understand it's a new game and it's pretty good, but i still want to see at least the same version from 3DO, MS-DOS Version if is possible. Even if is made by you.
And Warlocks of the fates needs a remake too.
I think we'll eventually get Warlocks so I'd rather no remake of that. The only copy of TEOT I feel was sadly chucked into some rubbish when the Korean offices were being repurposed.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Already looking leagues better than that fucking piece of shit game, The Unholy Night: The Darkness Hunters for the SFC that was released with a kickstarter and made by "former SNK devs". Nice work.

Also, as a fan of Korean productions such as Fantasia or Miss World '96, I am all about the trash easter eggs from MK and 80s action flicks. Love it

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I think we'll eventually get Warlocks so I'd rather no remake of that. The only copy of TEOT I feel was sadly chucked into some rubbish when the Korean offices were being repurposed.
Let your words be heard kidchameleon! (In regards to Warlocks of the Fates, that is)

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
I understand it's a new game and it's pretty good, but i still want to see at least the same version from 3DO, MS-DOS Version if is possible.

Nah, this isn't going to happen, even as a separate release.
First because there is little point doing something that already exists and can be played on a PC.
Second is that for graphical reasons, we can't make it: we couldn't get rips of the entire, unscaled, backgrounds. So we can't add the zoom feature and therefore have a game that plays the same.
Also, it is our aim to do something more fun than the 3do/MS DOS versions. :)

Have no regrets about the lost Neo Geo prototype, Kidchameleon1... Judging from the graphical assets and how we had to rework them for the Neo Geo palette, it is our belief that the NG version was cancelled way before completion.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nah, this isn't going to happen, even as a separate release.
First because there is little point doing something that already exists and can be played on a PC.
Second is that for graphical reasons, we can't make it: we couldn't get rips of the entire, unscaled, backgrounds. So we can't add the zoom feature and therefore have a game that plays the same.
Also, it is our aim to do something more fun than the 3do/MS DOS versions. :)

Have no regrets about the lost Neo Geo prototype, Kidchameleon1... Judging from the graphical assets and how we had to rework them for the Neo Geo palette, it is our belief that the NG version was cancelled way before completion.
I dunno, I think the Neo Geo was basically finished in a beta state, cancelled and ported to other consoles. Wasn't there a location test in Korea?

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Interesting work much kudos for even attempting this, let alone seeing it through.

Something about it that feels north star-ish... Presume outside of the remit of the project to really add/change too much about the actual content/feel to drag it more into that kind of vicious realm....

ozzyyzzo

n00b
Interesting work much kudos for even attempting this, let alone seeing it through.

Something about it that feels north star-ish... Presume outside of the remit of the project to really add/change too much about the actual content/feel to drag it more into that kind of vicious realm....

Beta version is **not** that far away, NEO community will be able to judge by its own ;-)

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
I dunno, I think the Neo Geo was basically finished in a beta state, cancelled and ported to other consoles. Wasn't there a location test in Korea?

You may be right - without access to the original assets, we can't tell for sure. But the backgrounds we ripped from the MS-DOS game don't fit the neo geo restrictions, and as they have nothing special we suspect they were plain screwed up, not "improved" for the 3do/PC versions. :)

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Hey guys

:help:
Does any of you with a stupid big list of contacts know someone likely to have either the original artwork made for The Eye of Typhoon, or good quality scans of them? We were hoping to use it for the physical edition of the game, but we've been unable to source anything decent enough to use so far.
The other option would be to commission new artwork, of course, but we'd rather avoid exceeding our zero-euro budget and get the real 1990s Korean deal, if we can.

Cheers :)

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Very impressive. Please remove the "toasty" feature. My God, the Mortal Kombat series is so retarded