New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
VJdSfRd.gif

:help:

Anyone enjoying this that didn't necessarily care for Fast Striker? Just curious because personally I was excited for FS based on the trailer, but pretty underwhelmed when I finally got a chance to play it. I'm hoping that's not the case for this game.

Ghegs

n00b
Anyone enjoying this that didn't necessarily care for Fast Striker?

I think I can count myself in being in that crowd. Neo XYX just feels like a better package overall, despite seeming to have less content at first glance (no different modes, just one playable ship...). But it's more focused, has better graphics and I prefer the scoring system.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
In fact, I´ve been wondering why no Neo game does that. Even Super Nintendo games had all kinds of processors/special chips on many of the games.
maybe the Neo Geo was awesome enough on it's own? AFAIK the extension chips on the Super Nintendo were supposed to prolong the life of the console and keep Nintendo present in the market while the N64 was delayed and Sony as well as Sega challenged Nintendos position with their new consoles. Don't know if there was a similar situation for SNK/the Neo that would have called for a hardware boost...

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
So there is a second CPU built into the PGM carts?

Man, so theoretically you could boost the Neo to the Moon like a second 68k@12MHz and maybe a second videoprocessor via the carts Programm PCB. With cartsizes in GigaByte regions there would be literally no limits.

In fact, I´ve been wondering why no Neo game does that. Even Super Nintendo games had all kinds of processors/special chips on many of the games.

That's why the neo should have a killing driving game "outrun" style.

By the way, here we have feebay flippers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-M...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item20daa8f2d4

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
for the moaners: the tate mode can be played fine without rotating your TV if you're laid at sofa LOL. Ease your life guys

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It actually does strike me as sort of odd that the Neo Geo never did get a vertical game. I bet they considered it with Strikers 1945 Plus. PGM and CPS systems saw vert games, even though their libraries were predominantly horizontal, likewise for Naomi and countless other multi-game setups. XYX being the first vertical game on the system is kind of odd now that I really think about it.

powerflower

Banned
That's why the neo should have a killing driving game "outrun" style.

Exactly, since Neo can shrink/reverse shrink the whole screen with all moving objects it would be interesting to see such a game.

@Buffi, hmm this big sqaure chip seems to be a support processor, nice.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
neo xyx AES has sold out already!

Much sooner than I thought. They're still planning another run of 50 or so copies without the goodies as an option later, the JPN AES cover is the best by far.

Ukyo

20 Year Member

nice write-up; I've only put in a few credits worth myself, but hope to get more time in this weekend. I have to say playing in hori mode on my gold cab is really detracting from my overall enjoyment of the game. I thought I would be able to look past it, but it is quite disorienting. [top down sprites w/ hori].

question, did the game release at 1.0 or 1.1?

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
1.0, 1.1 is a beta patch. 1.2 could be interesting if there's JP player feedback.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm still on the fence about this game for whatever reason. It looks like a fun game and I'd like to own it but for some reason I'm a little underwhelmed when I compare it to Fast Striker. I remember being blown away when I saw Fast Striker for the first time and I'm not really getting that same feeling with this one. There are 5 more MVS reprints available and one of those may have my name on it but I'm just not convinced yet. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow feeling differently, who knows.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm still on the fence about this game for whatever reason. It looks like a fun game and I'd like to own it but for some reason I'm a little underwhelmed when I compare it to Fast Striker. I remember being blown away when I saw Fast Striker for the first time and I'm not really getting that same feeling with this one. There are 5 more MVS reprints available and one of those may have my name on it but I'm just not convinced yet. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow feeling differently, who knows.

That is exactly what I thought when I first saw it. I'm not 100% convinced. Otherwise I would have preordered instantly. Maybe I'll get the DC version who knows.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, with a tate setup that some of the candy cabs have I can see people playing the mvs cart. But does that hold true for the homecart or DC versions as well?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Well, with a tate setup that some of the candy cabs have I can see people playing the mvs cart. But does that hold true for the homecart or DC versions as well?

Got mine this afternoon, set it up on the Egret II. Great little game this one, all you guys sitting on the fence should get on this. Will post some pics of it setup in my cab tomorrow.

snowbros

Banned
I just buy preorder for jp and us versions for NEO XYX its a good game and remember me toaplan games
which version you like best

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach
I think I can count myself in being in that crowd. Neo XYX just feels like a better package overall, despite seeming to have less content at first glance (no different modes, just one playable ship...). But it's more focused, has better graphics and I prefer the scoring system.

Blows fast striker away, not even in the same ballpark.

That's nice to hear from a couple guys whose opinions I respect.
Cheers for the videos and impressions, fellas.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Blows fast striker away, not even in the same ballpark.

I assume you're referring strictly to the gameplay because visually it doesn't hold a candle to Fast Striker from what I've seen. The gameplay does look quite good, I have to admit.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I assume you're referring strictly to the gameplay because visually it doesn't hold a candle to Fast Striker from what I've seen. The gameplay does look quite good, I have to admit.

It definitely screams for multiple parallax layers of scrolling.