New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
my order status updated to "processing/preparing"
Hooray.

This will be a nice challenge to make a 1cc video out of... maybe in a few years :)

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
True, and that works better than having focus shot as its own separate button as well. But personally I prefer the way Neo XYX does it, I don't want to keep tapping to upkeep the normal shot.

This. Will have to see it in action when I get my copy but I'm expecting to like that button configuration.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
Thanks for posting a nice gameplay video Ghegs. In the intro it looks like the pilot has a "boner" or am I just imagining things lol.Screen shot 2013-11-01 at 10.20.36 PM.png

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Has anyone made a printable neo xyx insert yet for a shockbox?

Thanks for posting a nice gameplay video Ghegs. In the intro it looks like the pilot has a "boner" or am I just imagining things lol.View attachment 8335

Also, am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by that intro, especially the part where that pilots shakes and bobs around? If compared to Pulstar intro, I am doubly underwhelmed about this. I guess they were trying to make it look like he is running? Well they failed that. The part between 41-44 seconds needed to be animated and use a different sprite altogether from different angle to make it not look ridiculously half-assed. But it´s only an intro, whatevs.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Placed the order, one major gripe, why Paypal as the only payment option?

I used bank transfers in the past (Western Union) and their rates are always reasonable, never understand why merchants insist on using Paypal, their fees are hidden through their own exchange rates, much lower than official ones.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Has anyone made a printable neo xyx insert yet for a shockbox?

Also, am I the only one a bit underwhelmed by that intro, especially the part where that pilots shakes and bobs around? If compared to Pulstar intro, I am doubly underwhelmed about this. I guess they were trying to make it look like he is running? Well they failed that. The part between 41-44 seconds needed to be animated and use a different sprite altogether from different angle to make it not look ridiculously half-assed. But it´s only an intro, whatevs.

Agreed about the intro. I was pretty surprised by the "running" animation. Honestly, just a still of the pilot with the lights flashing by would have looked better than the animation as is. It doesn't ruin the game for me one bit, but I totally agree with being underwhelmed by the intro.

Edit: Watching it again, the rest of it is totally fine. It's just the pilot running animation from the two angles we see it. Definitely looks funny. Everything else looks A-OK with me. Heh. I don't know if that's enough to warrant fixing it in a future rev, but, yeah, it doesn't quite work as is.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I like the bob. Reminds me of being out to sea.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
Placed the order, one major gripe, why Paypal as the only payment option?

I used bank transfers in the past (Western Union) and their rates are always reasonable, never understand why merchants insist on using Paypal, their fees are hidden through their own exchange rates, much lower than official ones.

Probably because every other payment method involves a higher cost, higher risk, or is inconvenient.

My Neo XYX arrived today, game is fucking awesome - everyone waiting for one in the mail is going to be very happy I'm sure :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Probably because every other payment method involves a higher cost, higher risk, or is inconvenient.

My Neo XYX arrived today, game is fucking awesome - everyone waiting for one in the mail is going to be very happy I'm sure :)

I'm leaving Sunday and won't be home until next Friday. I bet mine comes Monday and just taunts me with a package delivered notice from my apartment complex... Oh well. Can't wait to play it!

valgalder

Kula's Candy
everyone waiting for one in the mail is going to be very happy I'm sure :)

Surly you've been posting here long enough now to know there is going to be a slew of folks that will find a million reason why they find it a terrible game.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Upgraded to "shipped" ... gonna be sweet. Loved the gameplay video. The music sounds great.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Surly you've been posting here long enough now to know there is going to be a slew of folks that will find a million reason why they find it a terrible game.

I was pretty baffled to see that response in the Fast Striker thread when the MVS version finally shipped. After missing out on it during the first run, I finally picked one up second hand a few months back and I'm very happy with it. Sure, there are some things that still scream indie to me, but the game plays great. It's near the top of my list for best shooter on the system.

I'm going to hold my judgement on XYX until I actually get some time in with it, but from what I've seen so far I'm psyched. I don't know if it's going to top Fast Striker for me, especially since I'll be playing XYX in HORI mode, but even if it falls a little short, those are some big shoes to fill.

If anyone can do a short video of the game in horizontal mode, that would be awesome. It's going to be at least a week before I can play my copy and I'd love to see how it plays in the other orientation.

Slugger

Marked Wolf
I'm sure it's playable, it will just look very off, because the graphics were meant to be viewed in tate.

You´re right about that. It´s a pity that there isn´t a true yoko mode plus some sidebars but I understand that it would have been just too much hard work and time involved. Maybe they will do another separate version of the game in the future, who knows.
Still the game looks really good and the soundtrack is cool also!

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I dont know... I think what they need is round symmetrical collectable items instead of the ones they have now that make you want to tilt your head... and also a rotated warning text when entering a boss battle. Other than that I think it looks decent!

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm sure it's playable, it will just look very off, because the graphics were meant to be viewed in tate.

I agree 100% after seeing Gheg's gameplay vid. Thanks for that by the way. I've been waiting ages for NG: DEV to post one. A few in-game bits should have been rotated as well but it still looks quite fun nonetheless.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I dont know... I think what they need is round symmetrical collectable items instead of the ones they have now that make you want to tilt your head... and also a rotated warning text when entering a boss battle. Other than that I think it looks decent!

Yep, agree. A few little in game tweaks and rotating of the warning screen as the boss enters and this game would look perfect in horizontal mode.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It sure looks weird in horizontal mode. That plane is flying with one wing on top and the other below.

powerflower

Banned
Looks better than the trailer vids but I still don't like that green, same green as Gideon. It also looks like they're hitting sprite limitation or RAM limitation on some things. Not enough detail in the background for my liking.

Sprite limitation is hitting only for bullet/enemy count, therefore no crazy bullet-pumping like Batsugun. Since you have to draw the background with sprites too it doesn't matter how the background looks only cart size is the limitation. And here is my lttle problem, instead of really big bitmaps like Metal Slug they used classical tile based BGs. Neo doesn't care how big this bitmap is, it streams it from Rom anyway. Also Ram limitation should be no problem, look at all the gorgeous Beat em Up BGs, thats what can fit in the Ram. Neo really is a streaming beast so Video-Ram represents only what can fit into one screen. All the animations like Garou aren't in Ram at once, they are simply streamed when they are needed. Thats the reason why Beat em Ups are looking so good on neo. Or look at the intro of Srikers 1945, insane.

But I have to admit, i like XYZ:)

Edit:
The only weak point the Neo has is its CPU, 12MHz is a little bit to slow for fast paced shmups. Tatsujin2/Truxxton2 (1992) has a 16MHz 68k and it has on top of that classic BG tiling so there is nearly no CPU taxing on those, only for sprites (count/movement pattern). Also keep in mind Neo can generate sprites/stripes upto 8*512 pixels wide/high so every sprite can be like two screens high/big. So Neo likes vertical scrolling shmups (in Hori mode) much more. Look how much slowdown occurs in the second level of Last Resort.

I wonder if it is possible to cram a second 68000 CPU as a tandem in an expansion cart fitting between the Neo and the Rom.

Last edited:

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Mine was just updated to processing / preparing so hopefully I'll have my copy soon. I'll be curious to see what it'll take to convert an existing non candy cab to play this in a vertical set up.

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Of course, that's what the PGM does.

So there is a second CPU built into the PGM carts?

Man, so theoretically you could boost the Neo to the Moon like a second 68k@12MHz and maybe a second videoprocessor via the carts Programm PCB. With cartsizes in GigaByte regions there would be literally no limits.

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
In fact, I´ve been wondering why no Neo game does that. Even Super Nintendo games had all kinds of processors/special chips on many of the games.