New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'll wait until they deliver the Fast Striker homecarts before deciding on further purchases.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
No doubt ... no wait ... no hesitate ... ;)

I had pre-order for both version AES :)

Very impressive for pictures of both version AES.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Verdict is in........

Spoiler:
Cart won't fit in all MVS 1 slots!!
10593882503_7c4069f14d_c.jpg

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since they aren't made with a mold, some will and some won't.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Apparently the owner I was chatting with has solved the problem lol

It was assembled wrong! There's this thingy, I flipped it the other way around, and now the boards go where they're supposed to!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Apparently the owner I was chatting with has solved the problem lol

Yeah, was going to say that it looked like the board separator was on upside down. Annoying, but easy enough to fix. Hope they're not all like that. That would be embarrassing. Mine is in the mail, as of today, so we'll see what I get soon :D

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Hmmm.... I'm not 100% covinced how this should be playable horizontal. Looks pretty nice though.

What's a bit shitty is that they only take paypal now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks better than the trailer vids but I still don't like that green, same green as Gideon. It also looks like they're hitting sprite limitation or RAM limitation on some things. Not enough detail in the background for my liking.

Ghegs

n00b
I'm the (un)lucky owner with the cart that first wouldn't go into my CMVS, but luckily that got sorted out. And T. J.´s shanty already posted the video, but here's my first impressions about the game after a few credits:

The game is absolutely gorgeous. The art looks great and the art style is very cool, reminds me of 80's/90's sci-fi awesomeness. I especially like the intro and game over screens. The music is of high quality as well, very fast-paced, kind of synth rock -like music. Gameplay-wise, I never had problems seeing any bullets, the contrast is very good. After a boss explodes the bonus icons are covered by the explosion so it feels like you might miss them, but since you can just fly around the top of the screen without a worry at that point, I'm not sure if it's actually a problem. NG:Dev, please re-make Last Hope: Pink Bullets with this level of graphics and I'll be your best friend.

The choice between tate and hori play is good. The game's clearly meant for tate play, but the hori mode isn't just an afterthought. The UI layout is different to take proper advantage of the extended vertical space, the intro/game over/score tally screens between stages all have their graphics oriented properly, even the short "How to play"-guide at the start of the game (which can be skipped) is laid out differently between the modes. I really would've liked to see the medal and bomb icons (the ones you pick up in-game, not the ones on UI) to be oriented correctly in hori mode, now they're still pointing at left of the screen. That would really convince the player he's not just playing a tate game in hori. Maybe we'll see that in a patch?

The gameplay is very fast-paced. The ratio between aimed shots / bullet patterns is very good at about 50/50, it doesn't really feel like a danmaku and I would say it's not supposed to, either. More like an early 90's shmup like Batsugun. The ship is very fast but not uncontrollably so, and the speed is welcome when you want to fly around to screen dodging bigger bullet clusters and gathering up all the items. No power-ups here, only medals, bonus icons, bombs and bomb fragments. And there's the slow mode which comes very handy during more hectic moments and boss fights. I do wish the screen's left/right scrolling would start just a hair earlier than it does now.

In my first credit ever I only made it to Stage 2, but I've since made it to Stage 3. So far the game feels neither unbearably hard nor stupidly easy, so the difficulty level seems very good. Then again, I suck at vert shmups (and I am playing this on tate mode) so somebody else will probably have an easier time with it.

I did find a small bug: in hori mode, when entering your initials, the controls were not only flipped to tate, but also mirrored, as if it was the right side of the screen was at the bottom and not the left. Nothing gamebreaking, but still weird. Certainly this will be fixed in a patch.

On the whole, I'd say this is a damn good game. After the Dreamcast version is released and more people have a chance to play, I'm pretty sure this will be hailed as NG:Dev's best game yet. Not only that, but a good game in its own right as well.

Bonus! Huge image with all the assorted swag that came with the game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I still don't understand why they chose not to use D for the 4th function instead of having to hit A+C.

Ghegs

n00b
I think it would feel very weird if Focus Shot was its own button. The way it is, you can just keep firing normally by holding down A, and when you need to slow down a bit, push C down as well. Feels very intuitive and natural to me and you never need to let your finger off the shot button.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Looks pretty good, I like the style of the graphics, sounds seem a little distorted though, maybe it's just how that video was recorded. Hopefully they release a patch to iron out the little issues like that did with Gunlord.

I wonder how long the game is? First stage seemed to only go for a minute or so, hopefully there is at least 30 minutes of gameplay here.

So, when do pre orders for the Ikari game start? :D

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
My regular edition is not even shipped yet. I think they might be shipping the wood shelled ones first.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The only game genre missing on Neo Geo is pinball

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think it would feel very weird if Focus Shot was its own button. The way it is, you can just keep firing normally by holding down A, and when you need to slow down a bit, push C down as well. Feels very intuitive and natural to me and you never need to let your finger off the shot button.

In Fast Striker it was tapping the A button for normal shots and hold it down for focus shot. It didn't need a separate button.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Wow wow hold it GUYS did some mention fast strike mvs cart didn't fit in to a slim cmvs
Shit alarms bell are ringing .....please can somebody clarify the situation.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Having second thought on my slim cmvs playing games like fast strike requires constant saving points ,there no option on my slim to save progress.dilemma

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Saving points? Fast Striker isn't some RPG, man. XD

Ghegs

n00b
In Fast Striker it was tapping the A button for normal shots and hold it down for focus shot. It didn't need a separate button.

True, and that works better than having focus shot as its own separate button as well. But personally I prefer the way Neo XYX does it, I don't want to keep tapping to upkeep the normal shot.