New MVS owner here! what should my first 5 purchases be???

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Welcome to the forums and congrats with your cab.

As many already wrote decide yourself but almost every neo game has it's charms depending in what mood your in.

You can play most of them online.

http://www.neogeofun.com/

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Disregard all previous suggestions and only get one title, Legend of Success Joe.

You will not be disappointed.

Boat200

New Challenger
Probably a well rounded selection of 5 for a cab. Super difficult to decide though, and I've still got plenty of games to try.

Metal Slug X (solid 1pl run and gun platformer action)
Aero Fighters 2 (Approachable go-to shmup, good for 1pl and 2pl)
KOF98 (for 2pl)
KOF2000 (for 2pl)
Windjammers (for 2pl sports)

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
1) Zed Blade
2) Zed Blade
3) Zed Blade
4) Zed Blade
5) Zed Blade

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
what I could recommend to get
king of fighters 98
ultimate 11
bust a move
metal slug
samurai shodown 2

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
The suggestions you will receive are going to be wildly varied based on people's personal preferences. The best advice alreadygiven is to get an emulator and try the game out. If you like it, then grab it. Several of my favourite games I had never heard of before I saw it on an emulator and played it.

For my personal 5 must have games for a Neogeo owner would be:

1) Magical Drop 3
2) Windjammers (great you have this one, seems to be getting less common)
3) Viewpoint
4) Metal Slug 2
5) Samurai Shodown 2

Honorable Mentions:
- Nightmare in the Dark
- Zupapa

Out of my list, it is about half rare and half super common.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Spinmaster
Samurai Shodown 2
Magical Drop III
Last Resort
Metal Slug 3

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I just got my "Big Red" 9 days ago. Looking for some help from the old school owners on what my first purchases should be for games ect. I have ordered the 161 in 1 multicart and unibios chip. For games It came with aero fighters 2, ms2, spinmasters and puzzle bobble. Bought windjammers because i saw it wasnt on the multicart.

Where to go from here? legit copy of garou i imagine?? Any really affordable must haves?

Cheers!

If you have not money problems, go for them all.

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
Strikers 1945 Plus if you like shoot´em up
all the Slugs, if you like Chaos
all the KOFs, if you like excellent fighting

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Depends on what you like. If you are into mixed Genres, these would be a good start. Its a slippery slope once you get started though!

Spinmasters
Viewpoint
KoF 98
WakuWaku 7
Magical Drop

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 3
Garou
Magical Drop 3
Neo Turf Masters
Shocktroopers

Last edited:

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
Personally I'd always recommend starting with the early games and working your way through chronologically. I don't mean play everything but just take your time. A lot of people (myself included) start with the bestest games with the mostest ROMSZ!!1!! and then there's no where else to go after that.

Some of the early games are great (KoF 94, Magician Lord, Nam 1975, etc.) and you'll appreciate them a lot more if you play them first. Also, some of the later fighters can be a bit overwhelming as they are quite complex so it's easier to learn the mechanics if you start with the earlier ones.

There's only a finite amount of games and you've got the rest of your life to enjoy the Neo Geo so just take your time.

MOTW is awesome, and it's accessible to non SNK fans. I got SVC chaos thinking non SNK people would like it but it just didn't get much play.

Waku Waku 7 is just bizarre and awesome completely unique.

Metal Slug X I think is my favorite of the series, MS3 has the bells and whistles but I got burnt out playing it over and over.

Ultimate 11 is enjoyed a lot when people come over. I haven't played any of the other SSKs, I don't know if a cheaper one is as good.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Super Dodge ball and Twinkle Star Sprites is a lot of fun with friends.

Under $100
Shock Troopers
Metal Slug X, 3
Neo Turf Masters
Baseball Stars 2
KOF 98, 2002

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Super Dodge ball and Twinkle Star Sprites is a lot of fun with friends.

Under $100
Shock Troopers
Metal Slug X, 3
Neo Turf Masters
Baseball Stars 2
KOF 98, 2002

Ive really been curious about super dodge ball. How does it stack up with the nes version? I absolutely loved that game and from the video i watch it looks somewhat similiar but with those sweet neo grapgics. Balance is good obviously if you said its a 2player hit?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That's why it's important to ask whether there is someone else to play the games with. Super Dodge Ball is much more fun playing against another human player than just against the AI.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
That's why it's important to ask whether there is someone else to play the games with. Super Dodge Ball is much more fun playing against another human player than just against the AI.

Good to know. Yea one of my best friends currently lives with us and hes been blown away by the gameplay and quality of the neo games we have played so far (hes a retro n00b) but ill definitely need a combo of both. Id say 80% is solo though because i make quite a bit of time for gaming

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Ive really been curious about super dodge ball. How does it stack up with the nes version? I absolutely loved that game and from the video i watch it looks somewhat similiar but with those sweet neo grapgics. Balance is good obviously if you said its a 2player hit?

Its great with friends. The characters have many unique specials and its an all around fun game. It's one of the 3 main games that is played when there is a group of people. The other 2 are Windjammers and Twinkle Star Sprites. If you are going to play single player you may want to get something else.