New Fatal Fury

SignOfZeta

Butthurt Enthusiast
15 Year Member

At some point I read that FF1 was considered a KOF…as in it takes the place of…KOF 91 or whatever, retroactively. The tournament everyone joins in the game is called The King of Fighters and Geese organized it.

However the name “Fatal Fury - The King of Fighters is only the English name. “King of Fighters” in real KOF is always written “King of Fighters” or “KOF” in both English and Japanese so…it’s a soft KOF, basically. I think when KOF 94 came out the idea was that it was a sequel to the idea of a rich asshole running a tournament with ulterior motives.

While you can’t play three-on-three there are only three playable characters in that games story mode.

Neo Alec

Orochi Spam Riot
20 Year Member
At some point I read that FF1 was considered a KOF…as in it takes the place of…KOF 91 or whatever, retroactively. The tournament everyone joins in the game is called The King of Fighters and Geese organized it.

However the name “Fatal Fury - The King of Fighters is only the English name. “King of Fighters” in real KOF is always written “King of Fighters” or “KOF” in both English and Japanese so…it’s a soft KOF, basically. I think when KOF 94 came out the idea was that it was a sequel to the idea of a rich asshole running a tournament with ulterior motives.

While you can’t play three-on-three there are only three playable characters in that games story mode.
What's the English title got to do with anything? The name of the tournament in the game is King of Fighters in the Japanese version too.

Grandmaster-C

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
20 Year Member
Years the games took place storywise:

Art of Fighting: 1978
Art of Fighting 2-3: 1979
Fatal Fury: 1992
Fatal Fury 2: 1993
Fatal Fury 3: 1995
Real Bout Fatal Fury: 1996
Real Bout 2: 1998
Mark of the Wolves: 2006

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
15 Year Member
Theoretically it doesn't matter I guess.
World Heroes, IIRC, is based on time travel and pulling its fighters from different eras.
Therefore the tournament could happen pretty much whenever.