New Fatal Fury

SignOfZeta

Butthurt Enthusiast
15 Year Member

At some point I read that FF1 was considered a KOF…as in it takes the place of…KOF 91 or whatever, retroactively. The tournament everyone joins in the game is called The King of Fighters and Geese organized it.

However the name “Fatal Fury - The King of Fighters is only the English name. “King of Fighters” in real KOF is always written “King of Fighters” or “KOF” in both English and Japanese so…it’s a soft KOF, basically. I think when KOF 94 came out the idea was that it was a sequel to the idea of a rich asshole running a tournament with ulterior motives.

While you can’t play three-on-three there are only three playable characters in that games story mode.

Neo Alec

King of Spammers
20 Year Member
At some point I read that FF1 was considered a KOF…as in it takes the place of…KOF 91 or whatever, retroactively. The tournament everyone joins in the game is called The King of Fighters and Geese organized it.

However the name “Fatal Fury - The King of Fighters is only the English name. “King of Fighters” in real KOF is always written “King of Fighters” or “KOF” in both English and Japanese so…it’s a soft KOF, basically. I think when KOF 94 came out the idea was that it was a sequel to the idea of a rich asshole running a tournament with ulterior motives.

While you can’t play three-on-three there are only three playable characters in that games story mode.
What's the English title got to do with anything? The name of the tournament in the game is King of Fighters in the Japanese version too.

Grandmaster-C

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
20 Year Member
Years the games took place storywise:

Art of Fighting: 1978
Art of Fighting 2-3: 1979
Fatal Fury: 1992
Fatal Fury 2: 1993
Fatal Fury 3: 1995
Real Bout Fatal Fury: 1996
Real Bout 2: 1998
Mark of the Wolves: 2006

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
15 Year Member
Theoretically it doesn't matter I guess.
World Heroes, IIRC, is based on time travel and pulling its fighters from different eras.
Therefore the tournament could happen pretty much whenever.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member

An interview with SNK President and CEO Kenji Matsubara appears in the latest issue of Famitsu, revealing some of the contents.

His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince, who established the MiSK Foundation, said, "I want SNK to aim for the shining days of the 1980s, or even better. In response, we made a proposal to aim for the world's top 10 and sales of 140 billion yen (*Capcom level).
*In April 2021, SNK was acquired by the Electronic Gaming Development Company (EGDC), which is owned by the MiSK Foundation, established by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Revamp (*see below) IPs that revive past IPs are also aiming for AAA. We aim for AAA even for new IPs.
Considering the potential of our IP, we would like to offer genres other than fighting games, such as those that utilize action, characters, and stories, in order to broaden the scope of our IP and have more customers enjoy them.
Eventually, we would like to create a flow that can be developed into entertainment in a broader sense, such as visual content.
We call our efforts to revive and reincarnate IP in this way "revamp" (revamp: to improve, to reform, etc.).
(Q. Will you turn fighting game IP such as FATAL FURY into open-world ACT or ADV?) We are also looking to expand into that genre, so please look forward to it. Expanding into action ADVs and RPGs with a storyline is an important element in expanding our IP.
We are currently creating a 10-year strategy. We are also considering M&A.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
15 Year Member
I could get with a FF beat em up side game for sure.
Maybe now would be a good time to start asking about a samurai shodown RPG remaster with an official English release.