NEOSD MVS Support thread !

neodev

Neosd Tech
Im getting either the Cross Hatch or a blank white screen on both my super gun and my cabinet. The supergun is a cbox running Unibios 3.2 on a MV-1C and the cabinet is a MV-1C.
Any ideas? This is the second one I got from Stone Age Gamer and Im really getting nervous now.

Getting cross hatch or white screen usually means the cart is not properly inserted. Also, ensure it is not plugged backwards. For mv-1C s the sticker must be facing the opposite side from the jamma connector. Also I think in SAG you can choose if you want to have the boards reversed inside so, check if it's not backwards.

Last edited:

scorpion73

n00b
Hello
I have ordered a NeoSD MVS card last friday (16/03). Are they in stock or they are in the same situation of AES card? I ask to understand if i can expect a shipment in a short time or if i will have to wait like AES buyers.
Thank you for your supprot in advance.

coleshores

n00b
Getting cross hatch or white screen usually means the cart is not properly inserted. Also, ensure it is not plugged backwards. For mv-1C s the sticker must be facing the opposite side from the jamma connector. Also I think in SAG you can choose if you want to have the boards reversed inside so, check if it's not backwards.

Thank you, that was it! It's working great now!
I have 2 other MVH-1C boards so putting one aside isn't a big deal at all.
Also special thanks to much Andy at Stone Age Gamer for walking me through this process!
Looking forward to purchasing the Super System 3 once they stock it.

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
My mvs cart needs to be plugged in backwards too, Label facing away from you on, I should change it... a bit confusing.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
not sure if this is an issue or not but I've noticed that when my NeoSD is flashing a game its started making a high pitched squealing noise. the games still play fine, so wondering if this a common thing or maybe interference somewhere?

Power Supply Recommendation Request

Hello,

I recently purchased a neosd for my mvs cabinet. Neo Geo carts work on it, but the neosd has graphics glitches then crashes after I select a game. I reached out to support and the response was to check the voltage. I don’t know how to do that and also don’t think that’s going to fix the problem, so I’m hoping I can fix it with a better power sy. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a picture of what it looks like before crashing .

Attachments

• 3544A8AF-14F1-433B-B0A5-D6DB3F40436F.jpeg
    3544A8AF-14F1-433B-B0A5-D6DB3F40436F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 395

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hello,

I recently purchased a neosd for my mvs cabinet. Neo Geo carts work on it, but the neosd has graphics glitches then crashes after I select a game. I reached out to support and the response was to check the voltage. I don’t know how to do that and also don’t think that’s going to fix the problem, so I’m hoping I can fix it with a better power sy. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a picture of what it looks like before crashing .

https://youtu.be/M9JNeP3tiaY

Try to get as close to 5v as you can. If your voltage is fine, I would recommend reformatting the card and installing everything again.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Another thing, don't go with a cheapo sd card. Better off paying a few extra bucks and getting a better card. Certain SD cards may cause issues as well.

Update: I checked the voltage and it's a solid 5.08 volts (I've tried other settings as well). That did not make it stable. I have also received a firmware update, that did not help either. At this point I'm ready to return the cart, which I'm attempting. I will
let everyone on here know how that experience goes. Thanks everyone who responded and tried to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
They're going to have forums up on their site as soon as they can and are getting work done. Right this second isn't the best time to resolve your problem. Your purchase is very important and neosd/neodev will resolve the situation.

Your patience will be rewarded, there's too many satisfied gamers to think differently. ;)

Well, I’ve found out the return policy.. no refunds. However, I have been offered a replacement so I will try that option and see what happens. I have requested the address to mail for return. I will continue to post my experience here because I think other people would be interested to know so they can make an informed decision about whether to purchase a neosd for MVS. I know it works for others and I am hoping the replacement will work for me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You have cleaned the cartridge slot and re-seated the NeoSD cartridge correct? I have to position the NeoSD just right in my 1FS or I'll see exactly what you're seeing even with original carts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cleaned the cart and slot but the cart still does the same things my. Has anyone here tried replacing the cart slot entirely? I see them for sale at neostore. As I’ve mentioned before, original carts work fine.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
You should try getting your NeoSD to a friend who has a MVS and see if it works there.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I just got mine, and when I try to go in the download section I click on the "reset password" link (as stated in the FAQ), but it says my email is not recognized ... But I use the same I used on the website account. Is there something I missed ?

EDIT : Duh. The FAQ on the website is wrong, it seems you must click on register and follow the instructions.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I just got mine, and when I try to go in the download section I click on the "reset password" link (as stated in the FAQ), but it says my email is not recognized ... But I use the same I used on the website account. Is there something I missed ?

EDIT : Duh. The FAQ on the website is wrong, it seems you must click on register and follow the instructions.

I should change your name to Dumbass spice... the 6th Spice girl...

xROTx

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I should change your name to Dumbass spice... the 6th Spice girl...

xROTx
And yet I can't get registered, I posted on their support forum and it seems the serial database isn't updated due to moving in the new website.

DFS1000

n00b
I too have the same issue as Spycee , just got my Neo SD and cannot get access to register or log in to download Neo Builder ???? To say I'm dissapointed is an understatement , rushed home from work today so i could play some Neo Geo , logged with support

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
I too have the same issue as Spycee , just got my Neo SD and cannot get access to register or log in to download Neo Builder ???? To say I'm dissapointed is an understatement , rushed home from work today so i could play some Neo Geo , logged with support
It's because the last batch of cartridge has been sold during the website transfer, something was forgotten about the keys. Go to their support forum and check the recent posts, they gave a direct link to the tool.

DFS1000

n00b
Great !!!! Thanks for the heads up Spycee , just downloaded, looks like i'm going to be busy today

psykom1

n00b
It's because the last batch of cartridge has been sold during the website transfer, something was forgotten about the keys. Go to their support forum and check the recent posts, they gave a direct link to the tool.
Got mine this Saturday, tried to register with my SN, and was unable to register due to their site not being updated.
I was hoping a firmware update would solve my reset issue...

I'm having crashing issues with mine despite all the finagling I did with the BIOS, the Universe BIOS, the cartridge, replacing the ROM set, etc.
Games will run and will either reset right away, or in mid game vs a regular MVS cart.
It doesn't matter what game is loaded into flash.
I am seeing a higher power draw off of the 5V with the NeoSD vs an OEM MVS cart. It's nominal but worth noting.
My 5V is a bit low (4.91-4.93V), so I'm going to check that route first, but it's only happening on the NeoSD.
Has anybody else had their NEOSD carts reset on them?

Config: MV1-FS (recapped/battery)
Universe Bios 4.0
SmallCab supergun
Basic 400W ATX PSU
(still looking for a small HDMI encoder vs SCART to HDMI encoder I got now which is bulky)

technohat

n00b
Ok, I've got all the official neobuilder roms (via message #44) but now I'm trying to use neobuilder v1.6 to convert some of the homebrew games, demos etc. floating around but the instructions included with neobuilder aren't very clear on the command line switches.

Neo builder V1.6 can be downloaded from stoneage gamers website for those that need it.
https://stoneagegamer.com/neosd-resources.html

I'm trying to convert Frog Feast for use on the NeoSD MVS
http://frogfeast.rastersoft.net/NeoGeo.html

Right off the bat, the download is a zip file inside of a zip file, so I had to fix that. I named the zip file NGfrog.zip

Converting a generic zip file: NeoBuilder -n GameName -m developer -y year -g genre -s screenshotnum zipfile_absolute_path

Can the gamename or developer be more than eight characters? Is the developer the developer's name or is there a list of developers and a corresponding numeric value that has to go here?

Is the year a two or four digit number? ie -y 2005 or is it -y 05

Genre ids are the following (starting in 0, ascending value):
enum Genre { Other=0, Action, BeatEmUp, Sports, Driving, Platformer, Mahjong, Shooter, Quiz, Fighting, Puzzle};

I'm assuming the genre needs to be a numeric value; for example -g 1 would be action while -g 4 would be driving?

The screenshot to game mapping can be checked in order.txt

This is the one that makes the least amount of sense. order.txt is a text file with game names followed by a number. Following is a short snippet.

alpham2, 1
alpham2p, 1
androdun, 2
aodk, 3
aof, 4
aof2, 5
aof2a, 5
aof3, 6
aof3k, 6
b2b, 7
bakatono, 8
bangbead, 9

The numbers go from 1 to 189. Any idea what this even means?

I've been reading on the forum and even did a bunch of google searches but didn't come up with any answers. The instructions that come with it are really lacking. If anybody can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

neodev

Neosd Tech
That information is just to show it in the game list, you can write there what you wish.
Game name is around 40 characters, developer is around 12, just the developer name, like snk, or eolith...
For the genre, specify the name Action or Driving for example. For the year, specify the full year 1997 for example.
The screenshot number is which screenshot you want to appear when selecting the game. As they are built in the firmware, only the existing ones can be specified.

technohat

n00b
Thanks! The following command seemed to work.

neobuilder -n Frog_Feast -m Rastersoft -y 2010 -g Action -s 111 c:\users\admin\desktop\neogeo\ngfrog.zip

The screenshot number is which screenshot you want to appear when selecting the game. As they are built in the firmware, only the existing ones can be specified.

Could we get a generic screenshot added, like the opening NEO GEO MAX 330 Mega screen or maybe a picture of a neo geo arcade cabinet for use with games, demos, etc that aren't on the list? Would it be possible to make it screenshot 0 so it appears at the top of the order.txt list?

technohat

n00b
Download section

Try again please, we shipped those carts before we added the serials to the database. We just added the serials one hour ago.

Sorry for the inconvenience

For those of you who recently purchased a NEOSD and have been unable to access the download section, it appears they have finally updated everyone's serial keys in the database so you should be able to access it now.