NEOSD MVS Support thread !

neosd

Neosd Developer
Sent you an email and saw your reply back. All worked fine and couldn't be faster with the replies :) Many thanks.

You got me in front of the computer on saturday, not always happens/i am so fast :)

Glad its shorted

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Didn't want to create a separate thread for this one question, but does anyone have the Monitor Test Patterns ROM in Neo format handy? I got the OSSC yesterday, and I'm planning on doing some fine tuning.

rogersta

n00b
I'm having a really weird issue with my NeoSD. I've been using it on a CMVS that I bought off of ebay (which was very cheaply made) and it's been running fine. It was a converted MV-1C. I recently received an Omega CMVS and I am unable to get to the NeoSD game listing menu. The Omega will load the last game that I loaded using the cheap CMVS (and I have tried different games to try and resolve this issue) but when I attempt to enter the NeoSD menu it shows some glitchy graphics and then it resets back to the Unibios screen and the game loads again like normal. When I put the NeoSD back in the cheap CMVS I can access the NeoSD game menu just fine (either by holding start or doing the A+D+Start combo during the game). I've tried deleting the cfg file from the SD card, the BUP files, I've set it to "no" on the backup ram setting within the NeoSD, and I've done a hardware test and memory reset on the Omega console without any luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advanced for your help

I seem to be having a similar issue with my neosd cart. I am using a Analogue CMVS with 1.06 neosd firmware. I am only able to access the game menu list randomly. The cart boots the loaded game and then it will take me multiple attempts to try bring up the game list menu. It will finally randomly work for no apparent reason. When I have accessed it, I changed the buttons combinations and am still having the same issue. I have it currently set to boot to the game list menu on power up but it is still booting directly to the last flashed game. Any help?

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
I seem to be having a similar issue with my neosd cart. I am using a Analogue CMVS with 1.06 neosd firmware. I am only able to access the game menu list randomly. The cart boots the loaded game and then it will take me multiple attempts to try bring up the game list menu. It will finally randomly work for no apparent reason. When I have accessed it, I changed the buttons combinations and am still having the same issue. I have it currently set to boot to the game list menu on power up but it is still booting directly to the last flashed game. Any help?

That's strange, the "hold p1 start while booting" mode should always work. Can you check if you have Arcade Mode enabled? if so, try disabling it. Also when doing A+D+Start, hold them for several seconds.

pva

Mega Shock!!
Didn't want to create a separate thread for this one question, but does anyone have the Monitor Test Patterns ROM in Neo format handy? I got the OSSC yesterday, and I'm planning on doing some fine tuning.

I'm sure you've already found it by yourself by now, but FBX's latest Framemeister profiles pack contains a ready-made image in Neo format.

Provided in this package is a 'montest.neo' ROM for NeoSD users to calirbate their own A/D levels. To use the montest.neo ROM in the NeoSD, simply add the file to SD memory card with all the other .neo ROMs. It will then show in the game list as "Monitor Test Utility" and is basically a port of Artemio's 240 Test Suit.

rogersta

n00b
That's strange, the "hold p1 start while booting" mode should always work. Can you check if you have Arcade Mode enabled? if so, try disabling it. Also when doing A+D+Start, hold them for several seconds.

It was in arcade mode. I turned arcade mode off and have backram save off. It will now go to the game list menu after start up, but still having the issue of not coming up in game by holding the a+d+start buttons for several seconds. It just restarts the game. No issues bringing up the unibios holding the select+start button.

Last edited:

coleshores

n00b
I'm having trouble with my NeoSD MVS that I just purchased. The menu graphics are all corrupted so I cant see anything. When I select a game I wait a while until it's flashed and then it starts the game without corrupted graphics. I am using a 1st gen MV board with the stock bios.
Incidentally, when the games start up, about half the time the Neo Geo 300 Mega Pro Gear Spec screen is slightly wavy. The game it's self looks and runs perfectly fine. Z-80 issue?
I am at a loss, any ideas?

coleshores

n00b
I'm having trouble with my NeoSD MVS that I just purchased. The menu graphics are all corrupted so I cant see anything. When I select a game I wait a while until it's flashed and then it starts the game without corrupted graphics. I am using a 1st gen MV board with the stock bios.
Incidentally, when the games start up, about half the time the Neo Geo 300 Mega Pro Gear Spec screen is slightly wavy. The game it's self looks and runs perfectly fine. Z-80 issue?
I am at a loss, any ideas?

I have uploaded a video of what is happening below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8QTTga3ENk

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
big thanks to all those who helped me with getting hold of the .NEO files. my NeoSD turned up yesterday after weeks of waiting and worked great. so nice to have all the games in one place...I don't even mind the loading times :)

srtomiz

n00b
Hi,

I'm having some issues with world heroes 2 (all versions and jet) and prehistoric isle 2 with my MV1-FZS with unibios 3.1, right now the games don't work, wh2 shows the screen in white with black boxes and prehistoric isle 2 has a lot of graphic glitches (mostly missing backgrounds), I've formatted the sd, converted the roms from two different romsets, changing the configuration from arcade to aes and back, etc... with no avail.

The weird thing is: these games worked fine when I converted them using the very first neobuilder build. I played wh2 from the beginning to end and worked fine and tested ph2 too. Right now I don't have a real wh2 or ph2 cart to test, maybe the board is dying, who knows. I have a 161 in 1 with that game and works. The rest of the games in the romset work fine, as far as I know.

I was wondering if someone still has the first neobuilder build around, could you please send it to me?, the only one in neosdstore is the newest one.

Thanks in advance.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi,

I'm having some issues with world heroes 2 (all versions and jet) and prehistoric isle 2 with my MV1-FZS with unibios 3.1, right now the games don't work, wh2 shows the screen in white with black boxes and prehistoric isle 2 has a lot of graphic glitches (mostly missing backgrounds), I've formatted the sd, converted the roms from two different romsets, changing the configuration from arcade to aes and back, etc... with no avail.

The weird thing is: these games worked fine when I converted them using the very first neobuilder build. I played wh2 from the beginning to end and worked fine and tested ph2 too. Right now I don't have a real wh2 or ph2 cart to test, maybe the board is dying, who knows. I have a 161 in 1 with that game and works. The rest of the games in the romset work fine, as far as I know.

I was wondering if someone still has the first neobuilder build around, could you please send it to me?, the only one in neosdstore is the newest one.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ort-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

This looks like a backup ram issue to me, probably when updating the old versio to new when updating firmware. There are several things yo can try.

First, flash and play a different game, so wh2 is not on the backup ram.
Then using a pc, go to the BUP directory and delete all files starting with wh2 and prehisle2.
Place the sd back to neosd and try playing wh2 now.
If it still fails, you can try deleting your mvs backup ram (if you don't mind losing the hiscores there, otherwise skip this test). To do so, and ensure it will boot fresh, flash wh2 or ph2, then go back to neosd, options, and change backup ram save to off. Return to the game. Turn your mvs off, set all dips in the board to on and boot. When it says work ram test, turn the mvs off and restore the dips to the previous positions.

Also, you can try setting arcade mode to on, so the neosd extra functions are disabled.

Are you changing region or console/arcade.mode? If so, try setting them to 'bios' ( if younuse an unibios that will be disabled )

srtomiz

n00b
Rot, neodev thanks for your help but still not working, I've tried Rot's link things and deleted the backup ram following your instructions but still no cookie. This is puzzling, if something is wrong with the memory or some IC I should have more issues with other games, specially the late ones pushing the system to it's limit, yet everything works fine.

I'm going to tear down the board and see if anything is busted, maybe is time for a good old recap.

Thanks for your help.

Mondro510

n00b
hi i just purchased a neo geo coin op 4 slot arcade machine i have the 161 games cart and it plays for like 10 seconds and keeps crashing why/?

atman

n00b
I got a question regarding MVS/AES. Why are the flashcarts made for the MVS first? neoSD and now the DS cart have the MVS ready at first. Are there any reasons for that?

Shouldnt it be easier to make the AES version first since the hardware is not custom build with different power sources etc. And the market should be bigger on the AES since there never been a multicart available before.

neodev

Neosd Tech
I got a question regarding MVS/AES. Why are the flashcarts made for the MVS first? neoSD and now the DS cart have the MVS ready at first. Are there any reasons for that?

Shouldnt it be easier to make the AES version first since the hardware is not custom build with different power sources etc. And the market should be bigger on the AES since there never been a multicart available before.

There are many reasons why MVS is easier, but the main one is bacause the sprite serializer chip is on the board.
MVS carts just output the 32 bit sprite data for 8 pixels, and the sprite serializer handles returning the proper 4 bits and advancing to the next pixel synchronized with a graphics clock, and also handles horizontal flipping. AES have that chip on the carts, so it needs to be simulated by hardware in neoSD to output 4+4 bits of pixel data, based on the control signals present on the cart, and also this chip has its own quirks.

atman

n00b
There are many reasons why MVS is easier, but the main one is bacause the sprite serializer chip is on the board.
MVS carts just output the 32 bit sprite data for 8 pixels, and the sprite serializer handles returning the proper 4 bits and advancing to the next pixel synchronized with a graphics clock, and also handles horizontal flipping. AES have that chip on the carts, so it needs to be simulated by hardware in neoSD to output 4+4 bits of pixel data, based on the control signals present on the cart, and also this chip has its own quirks.

Thanks for the clearification. I never knew that.
So there is a valid reason for the insanely expensive MVS->AES converters. :)

coleshores

n00b
Im getting either the Cross Hatch or a blank white screen on both my super gun and my cabinet. The supergun is a cbox running Unibios 3.2 on a MV-1C and the cabinet is a MV-1C.
Any ideas? This is the second one I got from Stone Age Gamer and Im really getting nervous now.