NEOSD MVS Support thread !

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
actually I was thinking more about this:

i-found-a-big-bag-of-meth-850-1427887439.jpg

Touche Massi...

Touche...

xROTx

PS. For a Tech thread... sure is a lot of weird spammin' going on...

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
PS. For a Tech thread... sure is a lot of weird spammin' going on...

You are right... I'll try to amend, mentioning I can test a 2-slot, 2x 4 slot and one MV1 (MVH-MV1T, very first 1-slot model I guess, longer, with joystick ports and mem card connectors)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
People soldering the crystal on the MVS is not the solution to this situation. What can happen now though is the neosd guys can try and put a 1fz in their pocession into that state and try and reproduce your situation directly. Then work a solution in the firmware while seeing the results instantly instead of relying on others to do the tests for them.

You are the only one with crc32 errors on the test firmware version you have afterall. No one else has had the issues in the way you have with it although problems are known in that test firmware.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
People soldering the crystal on the MVS is not the solution to this situation. What can happen now though is the neosd guys can try and put a 1fz in their pocession into that state and try and reproduce your situation directly. Then work a solution in the firmware while seeing the results instantly instead of relying on others to do the tests for them.

You are the only one with crc32 errors on the test firmware version you have afterall. No one else has had the issues in the way you have with it although problems are known in that test firmware.

Sorry but you are partly wrong! The crystal should be grounded! Do a little research on why this is done and why most of the boards have a grounding strap. In my case the jitter is more prevelant and clearly was causing a problem. That problem could be exacerbated on the 1FZ due to trace routing, component layout etc. But its good practise to ground the can of a crystal. I've removed the ground strap on my other 1FZ crystal and what do you know, CRC issues.

EDIT: Also note - as I said in the post earlier, you may or may not be able to replicate the issue yourself. Part of the problem is noise, not just noise from the board but EMF noise in the area. My MVS sits 1 foot underneath a TV, we have communications masts nearby on industrial units etc, there are numerous factors to coupling on a crystal can.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
GadgetUK,

I have no words to thank you for all the time you gave us on the last two weeks.
We had good, not so good and great moments, but at the end we have worked with the same goal, find what was happening at your end.
Lets keep improving NEOSD, with your help.

Big thanks for your patience

Sorry but you are partly wrong! The crystal should be grounded! Do a little research on why this is done and why most of the boards have a grounding strap. In my case the jitter is more prevelant and clearly was causing a problem. That problem could be exacerbated on the 1FZ due to trace routing, component layout etc. But its good practise to ground the can of a crystal. I've removed the ground strap on my other 1FZ crystal and what do you know, CRC issues.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

EDIT: Also note - as I said in the post earlier, you may or may not be able to replicate the issue yourself. Part of the problem is noise, not just noise from the board but EMF noise in the area. My MVS sits 1 foot underneath a TV, we have communications masts nearby on industrial units etc, there are numerous factors to coupling on a crystal can.

You did not understand what I have said.. I did not say you are wrong and I do not disagree that the crystal should be grounded. Clearly from your own comments you understand this is prob a manufactoring issue.

What I am saying is people with this issue (which was only you atm) should not be expected to ground the crystal to fix the issue when the MVS board in that state can play other MVS games without issue. The ideal solution will be to make sure the neosd is tuned to work in this situation.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
GadgetUK,

I have no words to thank you for all the time you gave us on the last two weeks.
We had good, not so good and great moments, but at the end we have worked with the same goal, find what was happening at your end.
Lets keep improving NEOSD, with your help.

Big thanks for your patience

No problem, and thanks for all your support - I must apologize for my behaviour on Friday. My cat is fighting off cancer at the moment and I've just not stopped between sorting the cat and testing the neo SD for the last week or two! I am 99.99% there now, and the cat looks to be recovering after ear amputation!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You did not understand what I have said.. I did not say you are wrong and I do not disagree that the crystal should be grounded. Clearly from your own comments you understand this is prob a manufactoring issue.

What I am saying is people with this issue (which was only you atm) should not be expected to ground the crystal to fix the issue when the MVS board in that state can play other MVS games without issue. The ideal solution will be to make sure the neosd is tuned to work in this situation.

Yes, I know what you mean - I perhaps didn't explain properly:-

In most of the 1FZ boards I have and have seen, there's a grounding strap over the crystal. BUT... (and this will vary between manufacturing origins etc) - all mine have that strap glued (with hot glue) and in most cases the strap is not touching the can. That's a manufacturing issue which might only relate to some 1FZ.

In reply to your point there about software, yes - in an ideal world it might be possible in the FPGA to have some super duper PLL which can lock onto the dogyiest clock ever, but I think to a degree that's what has been done so far - the problem is you get jitter on the master clock and that can ripple through the other divided clocks etc and before you know it the 24Mhz clock has jitter, the 8Mhz clock has a different amount of jitter or becomes slightly out of phase with the original clock, and then other clocks etc. That's a lot for the FPGA to deal with imo. Better to say that this is a manufacturing glitch with the 1FZ and just fix it at root. The other point here is a reckon that on other MVS boards it probably doesnt matter whether the crystal is shielded or not, its going to vary between MVS boards, due to trace routing, chipset used, and how the clocks are controlled. For example, I looked at the AES schematics last night, to understand how the clock generation is done there, and whilst it uses the same chipset as the 1FZ, its completely differently done. There's what looks like to me a PLL type thing going on (I am guessing, I am not an expert) with quite a lot of active components (like 12 or more), on the 1FZ - do you know what we have? It uses a crystal, and 2 x 20pF caps - that's it as far as I can see. Now that could be because the circuitry is internal to D0 - I don't know, but is just an example of how each board varies.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes I undertstand.

In your case, are the other issues you have in kof2003 etc with the hair and such also fixed or improoved after you grounded the crystal?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Yes I undertstand.

In your case, are the other issues you have in kof2003 etc with the hair and such also fixed or improoved after you grounded the crystal?

Those are the only outstanding issues - I can get occasional exception in KOF2003, always address 400048 (palettte RAM) as I mentioned to you earlier. As far as I am concerned there are no CRC issues whatsover now, and I guess that's because the PRG board is getting a decent 68CLCKB clock. The old hair glitch on intro came back, but the purple background on intro is stable. SVC runs perfectly, has no CRC issues anymore but has some spirte flicker from time to time. In summary its like a really minor sprite timing thing, and my guess is its related to the palette RAM exception.

Those few minor problems are probably related to previous test firmware changes to try and work around the original clock problems. I need to check an issue that Spectre raised earlier about Metal Slug 1 and Magician Lord but again its really really minor and could just relate to test firmware. 99.99% there! Personally I would say forget about this problem for now and focus on other improvements.

The only other thing to mention is that on the other 1FZ that never had any CRC issues, the hair sprite problem isn't there, but the purple background is broken up on the right hand section - like the original problem we first had on KoF2003. But that again could be consequence of trying to update firmware to work around what was a bad clock problem - if you see what I mean? It's like you were saying earlier - if not careful you can end up making something run fine in one scenario but not in another. Blame SNK ;)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Just remember you and Spectre have a differnet firmware so findings on one do not relate to the other until your both on the same one.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Just remember you and Spectre have a differnet firmware so findings on one do not relate to the other until your both on the same one.
Yes, noted =D It's just really minor speckles and things that he spotted and I think I've re-created but they might occur on originals - I need to test tomorrow, but they are so minor I don't care if they never get fixed tbh.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes, noted =D It's just really minor speckles and things that he spotted and I think I've re-created but they might occur on originals - I need to test tomorrow, but they are so minor I don't care if they never get fixed tbh.

I'm going to guess already and say the speckles are going to be the known snow that appears when writing to Palette RAM on NeoGeo hardware. If you can give an example of a place in question I can probably give a quick answer on that.

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
I'm going to guess already and say the speckles are going to be the known snow that appears when writing to Palette RAM on NeoGeo hardware. If you can give an example of a place in question I can probably give a quick answer on that.

Although I have already reported these minor issues to NeoSD team and GadgetUK, I'll detail them here, just in case they could be confirmed to be normal-occurring artifacts on original game carts and on NeoSD, and so that Raz or anyone else will be able to check for them and shed light into their possible origin:

* Traces of horizontal-lines at upper screen: At concrete points in some games, maybe they are the same artifact typical on some games when the sprite number per scanline is overloaded. In particular, I've noticed them in these two cases:
- Magician Lord: When entering a door at 'loading' new stage, and sometimes upon dying. Almost always 1-2 horizontal lines misplace just next to score/other counters.
- Metal Slug 1: When facing a huge boss with quite elements on screen and your character is on the upper screen zone. The same, sometimes 1-2 horizontal lines misplace next or near to score/other counters.
Not sure if it's normal game or just a remnant of a 'timing' issue related with the already fixed horizontal-line glitch on NeoSD. GadgetUK has found both these artifacts on NeoSD, and he'll be testing them on original carts tomorrow.

* Sound crackle in Metal Slug 5: I get some 'crackle' sound glitches, similar to those that occur frequently on multicarts, but here only at few concrete points, like for instance at the final explosion of the 'red turtles' descending elevator at the 2nd mission, and also later (mission 4 or so) in tank explossions when much sounds join together. I don't have the original cart to compare, however, although it doesn't occur on MAME. I don't know if this could be due to some timing minor problem, together with the aforementioned line problem. Anyway, GadgetUK claims that he's heard such crackle at the very same points both in original and bootleg carts. So it's likely to be no issue at all.

However, maybe the sole real issue I'm having right now is the following:

* UniBIOS exceptions: I get some UniBIOS exception warning screens with low occurrence, with subsequent forced resetting. After rebooting, the problem disappears and the game goes on normally. I'm not sure whether this could be due to some kind of crosstalk with the UniBIOS itself. I've noticed that whenever exceptions occur, I had previously checked the UniBIOS options (softdip configuration, jukebox, CRC check) by soft-reset. This only occurs with a low frequency, about 5-10% of games whose UniBIOS/Service Menu options were previously accessed, and then the game plays normal until the exception pops up, sometimes at hi-score screen and others at first stage/fight or just starting the second one. Also, note that the same game under these conditions may give the exception or not, just in a seemingly random fashion. Yet I'd say I never got exceptions when UniBIOS/Service Menu options are not accessed.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Magicial Lord etc.

This is the situation expected, those lines at top of screen when dying are from palette RAM access/update. If Metal slug looks like that then it will be the same thing, I suspect it is but a screen shot or small video of what you see would be helpful if it looks different. Could also be related to sprites update code falling out of vblank.

In general I would say 99% of glitches at the top of the screen in games will be normal. When there is a hortz line with broken colored pixels (like what you see in maglord) then its totally normal. If you see glitching further down the screen then it could be either sprite clipping (normal) or something that needs to be looked at more. If you see a hortz line or lines that appear to be tracking sprite positions then that will need looking at.

Sound crackle.

I'll let gadget report back on that as he has original cart to compare against.

Unibios exceptions.

First thing I need to say here is that just because the unibos exception screen shows up does not mean it is a unibios issue. I can see why one would think this however but in reality all you are seeing is a report created as the result of the 68000 cpu stopping (crashing). In a system without unibios the game would simply reset and the reason unknown/unoticed.

This exception screen is very helpful however because it tells us where the cpu crashed and its state when it crashed. For that reason every crash seen should be treated as a potential different situation. What is needed for investigation however is two pictures of each crash, one with data registers showing and one with address registers. You swap between these pressing 'A' when the error message is showing. It is also important to know the game (and revision) being played when the crash happened.

Due to the above I cannot really give more info but I can make some theories.

1) Crashes happen alot because backupRAM storage for the game has corrupted and in many cases that will show itsself during hiscore entry or highscore displaying. Given you mentioned this I sugest resetting backupRAM and also disabling the neoSD backupRAM loading and saving option for the time being.

2) Try again while not using cheats (if you were) as this can also cause issues also.

3) Confirm your PSU is good and that cart socket is clean. Make sure the neosd is correctly aligned with the pins. Given there is no shell at the moment it is possible to have a slight mis alignment.

With a little more information about crashes I can probably give more information but because you are on a beta firmware however its probably best to wait until you get an update one. You are not the only one to get crashes in test firmwares.

Lastly (because I can't remember), did you get the unibios from me? If so can you private message me the version number and serial number so if you report exceptions in the future I can quickly reproduce the same setup here to investigate.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Raz,

Sceptre_JLRB is on beta firmware, different and older firmware version than the one we have sent to GadgetUK.

Also, we would like that anyone with an issue from now, to post firmware version and motherboard model, this will help us to address the issue better and not confusing others aswel.

Thanks

Magicial Lord etc.

This is the situation expected, those lines at top of screen when dying are from palette RAM access/update. If Metal slug looks like that then it will be the same thing, I suspect it is but a screen shot or small video of what you see would be helpful if it looks different. Could also be related to sprites update code falling out of vblank.

In general I would say 99% of glitches at the top of the screen in games will be normal. When there is a hortz line with broken colored pixels (like what you see in maglord) then its totally normal. If you see glitching durther down the screen then it could be either sprite clipping (normal) or something that needs to be looked at more. If you see a hortz line or lines that appear to be tracking sprite positions then that will need looking at.

Sound crackle.

I'll let gadget report back on that as he has original cart to compare against.

Unibios exceptions.

First think I need to say here is that just because the unibos exception screen shows up does not mean it is a unibios issue. I can see why one would think this however but in reality all you are seeing is a report created as the result of the 68000 cpu stopping (crashing). In a system without unibios the game would simply reset and the reason unknown/unnoticed.

This exception screen is very helpful however because it tells us where the cpu crashed and its state when it crashed. For that reason every crash seen should be treated as a potentiall different situation. What is needed for investigation however is 2 pictures of each crash, one with data registers showing and one with address registers. You swap between these pressing 'A' when the error message is showing. It is alsoimportant to know the game (and revision) being played.

Due to the above I cannot really give more info to you but I can make some theories.

1) Chashes happen alot because backupRAM storage for the game has corrupted and in many cases that will show itsself during hiscore entry or highscore displaying. Given you mentioned this I sugest resetting backupRAM and also disabling the neoSD backupRAM loading and saving option.

2) Try again while not using cheats (if you were) as this can also cause issues.

3) Confirm your PSU is good and that cart socket is clean. Make sure the neosd is correctly aligned with the pins. Given there is no shell at the moment it is possible to have a mis alignment.

With a little more information about crashes I can probably give more information but because you are on a beta firmware however its probably best to wait until you get an update one. You are not the only one to get crashes on that firmware.

Lastly (because I can't remember), did you get the unibios from me? If so can you private message me the version number and serial number so if you report exceptions in the future I can quickly reproduce the same setup here to investigate.

Last edited:

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
First of all, thank you GadgetUK for your testing, neosd for your constant support and Razoola for your valuable piece of info.

* Hortz-lines at upper screen: This is exactly as Razoola describes for a normal situation in palette RAM access/update, also for Metal Slug. According to your description, this case is hortz-line with broken colored pixels, and not hortz-line/s that appears to be tracking sprite positions (what was the case of the previously reported hortz-line glitch, already fixed). So no issue at all here. :-) Anyway, GadgetUK is gonna test with original carts.

* Sound crackle. The same, GadgetUK claims that they appear sometimes in original and bootleg carts. So neither this is an issue.

* UniBIOS exceptions: Really valuable and interesting info, Raz. As I said, they are infrequent. In fact, I tried to get some on KOF2003 just to let GadgetUK know the addesses, but I didn't succeed after several trials (I'll continue trying, anyway). In case of showing up, I'll take pictures from the different screens (addresses, values, etc.) and show you. At the moment, from your possible proposed explanations, I'd say that they are not related to corrupted back-up (since for the same game most times there are no exceptions), I wasn't using UniBIOS cheats (but only accessed softdip configuration, jukebox and CRC check), my PSU is working fine, and I also got them on retail firmware (the inicial default one). So I appointed cart socket and possible missalignments with NeoSD boards as a potential cause. BTW, my UniBIOS is a free version written on a EPROM, as it was included by the person who consolized my board. Sorry!

And just to remind my settings:
- MVS board: Consolized MV-1F.
- Video display: RGB output to CRT TV Sony Trinitron KV-21C5E.
- PSU: 12V, 1.67 A (modded board, I think).
- NeoSD-MVS firmware version: 1.05 R03 (Beta, CRC-error fix).
- BIOS: UniBIOS 3.2 Free (usually in MVS-USA mode, no serial number).

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Thankyou for testing too =D

On Magician Lord I see that same exact thing when going in and out of doors on the 2nd level - it's really minor but as Raz says its probably to do with Palette RAM access.

I see similar glitches as you say on Metal Slug as well - again really really minor. When you get the exceptions in UNIBIOS, please make a note of the address - I see rare exceptions in KoF2003 and they always relate to Palette RAM access, but like you I can power off and on and it can then be fine - this is making me think there's a 2nd clock related 'difference' on 1FZ boards (although I just read you have a 1F not a 1FZ?), maybe its to do with the reset signal and how long that takes, maybe its to do with the D0 chip or the crystal. At some point I might swap out the 24Mhz XTAL with a higher precision crystal.

My gut feeling from behaviour of the seemingly palette RAM access related glitches, these are minor glitches possibly related to a previous test firmware changes, possibly related to dodgy clocks on some 1FZ boards. It's so very very close to perfect now, but progress will be made. I am in no rush for anything regards updates though - more than happy to let all time and resources go onto 4 slot / any other issues that will benefit the wider audience.

That PCM issue - the part on the 'lift' where the red turtles are falling, I've heard crackly PCM there on original and bootleg carts too! It drove me nuts for ages and I came to the conclusion its the way it was written. They are playing a number of PCM explosions all at the same time and more often than not one sample cuts short or effects another and its just sounds a little 'noisey'. But it does happen on original carts. Might not happen in emulators. It's a little like the graphical glitches you can see in some other original games - where too many sprites on screen etc and some tear / only display part etc. If that PCM issue appears elsewhere on MS5 (none massive explosion related) let me know and I will check it out.

* Traces of horizontal-lines at upper screen: At concrete points in some games, maybe they are the same artifact typical on some games when the sprite number per scanline is overloaded. In particular, I've noticed them in these two cases:
- Magician Lord: When entering a door at 'loading' new stage, and sometimes upon dying. Almost always 1-2 horizontal lines misplace just next to score/other counters.
- Metal Slug 1: When facing a huge boss with quite elements on screen and your character is on the upper screen zone. The same, sometimes 1-2 horizontal lines misplace next or near to score/other counters.
Not sure if it's normal game or just a remnant of a 'timing' issue related with the already fixed horizontal-line glitch on NeoSD. GadgetUK has found both these artifacts on NeoSD, and he'll be testing them on original carts tomorrow.

* Sound crackle in Metal Slug 5: I get some 'crackle' sound glitches, similar to those that occur frequently on multicarts, but here only at few concrete points, like for instance at the final explosion of the 'red turtles' descending elevator at the 2nd mission, and also later (mission 4 or so) in tank explossions when much sounds join together. I don't have the original cart to compare, however, although it doesn't occur on MAME. I don't know if this could be due to some timing minor problem, together with the aforementioned line problem. Anyway, GadgetUK claims that he's heard such crackle at the very same points both in original and bootleg carts. So it's likely to be no issue at all.

However, maybe the sole real issue I'm having right now is the following:

* UniBIOS exceptions: I get some UniBIOS exception warning screens with low occurrence, with subsequent forced resetting. After rebooting, the problem disappears and the game goes on normally. I'm not sure whether this could be due to some kind of crosstalk with the UniBIOS itself. I've noticed that whenever exceptions occur, I had previously checked the UniBIOS options (softdip configuration, jukebox, CRC check) by soft-reset. This only occurs with a low frequency, about 5-10% of games whose UniBIOS/Service Menu options were previously accessed, and then the game plays normal until the exception pops up, sometimes at hi-score screen and others at first stage/fight or just starting the second one. Also, note that the same game under these conditions may give the exception or not, just in a seemingly random fashion. Yet I'd say I never got exceptions when UniBIOS/Service Menu options are not accessed.

EDIT: You said you have a 1F - not a 1FZ?

EDIT:

MVS board: Consolized MV-1FZS.
- Video display: RGB output to LCD TV.
- PSU: 5V 3A (numerous other PSUs)
- NeoSD-MVS firmware version: MCU 1.05 R04, 68K 1.03, PROG 4837, CHA B0F3
- BIOS: UniBIOS 3.1 Registered

Last edited:

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
Thank you very much again, GadgetUK! Your technical research is pretty awesome, you are almighty!

So, no issue in my case, after all. UniBIOS exceptions are quite infrequent and, if so, they occur at the very game starting and can be easily solved out just by exitting to NeoSD menu and going back to the game. In addition, I'd say they are even less frequent with my new firmware, since I'm currently trying to obtain any without success. In case of showing up, informative pics will be taken.

And yes, mine is MV-1F, not MV-1FZ, neither MV-1FZS nor MV-1FT.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thankyou for testing too =D

On Magician Lord I see that same exact thing when going in and out of doors on the 2nd level - it's really minor but as Raz says its probably to do with Palette RAM access.

'Probaby' is not the right word to use here, it is 100% fact. The palette RAM access glitch/snow is a known situation in NeoGeo hardware and has nothing to do with the neosd or other faulty original game cart. All you are basically seeing is while the 68k is accessing the paletteRAM the display cannot lookup the correct color. This means in most cases when you write a color into PaletteRAM the currently drawn pixel on screen will be the color you are writing. This is why you see a hortz line made of different colored pixels like you do when palettes are updated outside of vblank.

This is another reason why you can instantly see what homebrew demos were never tested on real hardware because you will see this glitching all over the place and in some cases no correct display output at all while the same in emulation looks 100% fine. If you load up that Samsho5 xbox hack you'll see this situation in full effect.

I have a feeling this issue is going to be brought up many times in the future because it is not something you see in emulators. Probably people who come to NeoGeo hardware from emulators are going to question this but those you have played and programmed NeoGeo for years just take it for granted.

The kof2003 palette crash situation you bring up is something totally unrelated to the above glitch but you are right to say its tied in with other issues you have had.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You sure like to argue lol! I accept what your saying, what I am saying is the glitch doesn't appear on originals!
'Probaby' is not the right word to use here, it is 100% fact. The palette RAM access glitch/snow is a known situation in NeoGeo hardware and has nothing to do with the neosd or other faulty original game cart. All you are basically seeing is while the 68k is accessing the paletteRAM the display cannot lookup the correct color. This means in most cases when you write a color into PaletteRAM the currently drawn pixel on screen will be the color you are writing. This is why you see a hortz line made of different colored pixels like you do when palettes are updated outside of vblank.

This is another reason why you can instantly see what homebrew demos were never tested on real hardware because you will see this glitching all over the place and in some cases no correct display output at all while the same in emulation looks 100% fine. If you load up that Samsho5 xbox hack you'll see this situation in full effect.

I have a feeling this issue is going to be brought up many times in the future because it is not something you see in emulators. Probably people who come to NeoGeo hardware from emulators are going to question this but those you have played and programmed NeoGeo for years just take it for granted.

The kof2003 palette crash situation you bring up is something totally unrelated to the above glitch but you are right to say its tied in with other issues you have had.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You sure like to argue lol! I accept what your saying, what I am saying is the glitch doesn't appear on originals!

Im not argueing with you, Im just making sure its understoood correctly by other people reading the forum. I did understand what you mean but others may not.

For example, people reading what you have said now. In their minds they are thinking that you are saying this paletteRAM glitch I just mentioned does not happen on originals.. The thing is, it does happen on originals and has always happened on originals. I undstand your relating to the kof2003 crash situaion but others reading may read differently.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Im not argueing with you, Im just making sure its understoood correctly by other people reading the forum. I did understand what you mean but others may not.

For example, people reading what you have said now. In their minds they are thinking that you are saying this paletteRAM glitch I just mentioned does not happen on originals.. The thing is, it does happen on originals and has always happened on originals. I undstand your relating to the kof2003 crash situaion but others reading may read differently.

No worries =D The behaviour we are seeing on our carts DOES NOT happen on originals. I know this because I play those originals and it does not happen. I think you are mistaking a minor issue that might happen on originals with this much more noticeable issue which only occurs on our neo SD.

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
If you load up that Samsho5 xbox hack you'll see this situation in full effect.

For sure! It caught all my attention when I tried it on NeoSD, in addition to some greenish color changes.

I have to remark you are right with regards on coming to Neo-Geo world from emulation. Such is my case, having been using emulators for 16 years and previously only playing at arcades. The first Neo-Geo I got just 3 months ago is my consolized MVS, and so far I only own 8 original carts. Paving the way for my NeoSD, I sold my 161-in-1 multicart, which BTW was a latter version with less bugs, fixed Pulstar audio and Aerofighters 3 working OK. Yet still the change was well-worthy! ;-)