NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

ack,

When you have the ngx booted with your kernel and it's plugged into the dock do you get the console output via hdmi? I hosed my Fedora VM tonight so I'm rebuilding it then I'm going to try and dig into this more, pretty much the same route you're taking here. As a side note I got the same results with the NGX and a Trendnet 10/100 USB ethernet adapter. No lights at all when connected via the console dock USB port.

I was also curious if there was any specific reason you used the dingoo toolchain vs the ingenic one from the URL below:

http://en.ingenic.cn/product.aspx?ID=62

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
ack,

When you have the ngx booted with your kernel and it's plugged into the dock do you get the console output via hdmi? I hosed my Fedora VM tonight so I'm rebuilding it then I'm going to try and dig into this more, pretty much the same route you're taking here. As a side note I got the same results with the NGX and a Trendnet 10/100 USB ethernet adapter. No lights at all when connected via the console dock USB port.

I was also curious if there was any specific reason you used the dingoo toolchain vs the ingenic one from the URL below:

http://en.ingenic.cn/product.aspx?ID=62

No on the hdmi, there is a missing driver for the it6610 chip. They are doing this in snk_desktop to turn the chip on/off

Code:
    if(_v0 != 3) {
        system("echo 0 > /proc/jz/it6610_me");
    } else {
        system("echo 1 > /proc/jz/it6610_me");
    }

I did do some messing with the hdmi/tv out on a ngx kernel + rzx userspace. The code for that is here

http://www.gotwalls.com/neogeox/ngx_fb_switch_mode.tgz

It can switch to hdmi/tv out and my tv can see its receiving a signal, but it was just a black screen.

I got this usb network too which worked but was unstable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSTDFG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I could telnet in but the ngx would crash within a few minutes.

There was no reason for using the dingoo other then it was the first one I came across.

-ack

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Still wonder if a 370 can use the usbtool to reflash it's memory.

Last edited:

xarcade

Quiz Detective
If Tommo is working on a way to allow saves for the games, it would most likely require a firmware update via usb or sd slot. How else could they do it?

Last edited:
No on the hdmi, there is a missing driver for the it6610 chip. They are doing this in snk_desktop to turn the chip on/off

Code:
    if(_v0 != 3) {
        system("echo 0 > /proc/jz/it6610_me");
    } else {
        system("echo 1 > /proc/jz/it6610_me");
    }

I did do some messing with the hdmi/tv out on a ngx kernel + rzx userspace. The code for that is here

http://www.gotwalls.com/neogeox/ngx_fb_switch_mode.tgz

It can switch to hdmi/tv out and my tv can see its receiving a signal, but it was just a black screen.

I got this usb network too which worked but was unstable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSTDFG/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

I could telnet in but the ngx would crash within a few minutes.

There was no reason for using the dingoo other then it was the first one I came across.

-ack

This is the adapter I tested with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007IFED/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01

I'm assuming your adapter still required your custom kernel and didn't function with the tommo build right?

jrronimo

n00b
Still wonder if a 370 can use the usbtool to reflash it's memory.

Is there a way I can test this? I have a 370 and a micro USB cable. If I run the firmware program, is there a way that it'll recognize my device without me actually flashing it?

Or, even better, can I use that software to dump the image of my NGX off the device?

I'm not gauging you on your post count... on your join date etc etc.....i'm not that sort of mod... ask around...

I'm gauging you on your contribution to this site...

The post you replied after mine said you didn't think about who you were replying too... or what... this is a thread about learning about a new system...

i don't care if you didn't post roms on here... i care that you posted a comment that didn't belong...

I won't derail this thread... but if you post again.. better make sure it truly adds to the current thread... i'm not in the mood to play ball... and you won't be missed...

Last warning...

xROTx

If anybody is taking up useless space it's you. I'm fairly sure most mods, or anyone with a basic grasp on the english language, would know that full stops are used to end statement's - if you wish to use a short break there's a button between the full stop and the 'm' key.

Now that I have got that off my chest - I bought two from Amazon preorder UK with about a week between them and I got both a microsd and a samsung chip version. Is there any further insight regarding version number/date/location correlation?

Apologies if this has been answered recently, I got to page fourteen and decided I wanted to post and go to bed. Goodnight all!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If anybody is taking up useless space it's you. I'm fairly sure most mods, or anyone with a basic grasp on the english language, would know that full stops are used to end statement's - if you wish to use a short break there's a button between the full stop and the 'm' key.

I'm not going to explain to you how I choose to type. My grammar is just as correct as anyones, when I choose it to be.

I just choose to use the ellipses. If you have a probem with that, you can pm me in 2 days because I just banned your ass.

Now that I have got that off my chest - I bought two from Amazon preorder UK with about a week between them and I got both a microsd and a samsung chip version. Is there any further insight regarding version number/date/location correlation?

Apologies if this has been answered recently, I got to page fourteen and decided I wanted to post and go to bed. Goodnight all!

Good for you. We won't miss your incisive and well thought out posts.

xROTx

PS. Anyone else?

G'day all. I've read almost the whole thread (omg),... so I try to summarize:

Regarding the chinese page, it's just necessary to have a modded SD card (microSD reader with changed pins) in order to use "own" rom files!? Nothing else?

I have a 370 version, so I have no clue if the system can be changed (on the samsung chip) - which would be a good idea due to several problems the system has.

THD

n00b
im not a smart guy like the rest of you.. but I try and came up with the micro SD card adaption idea.. because i have the 370.. if the was an image of the 370 going around, could I run a virtual machine running arm/ linux emulation on pc/mac and inject files into the partitions.. create a new image and flash that image back to the NGX ?

create a new image and flash that image back to the NGX ?

Erm, that won't work as you think I guess... the system is on a micro sd card below the screen. But in 370 built (like ours) there is no sd card anymore, there's a "samsung chip". I can't say if that chip can be rewritten or somewhat. I guess not, but nobody wrote something about that - or I didn't read it.

So:
* Is the Samsung chip writable?
* Is it as simple as I think, just to place roms on a (modded) sd card to have additional games available, as shown on the chinese page?

Asure

Captain Dick,
Both the samsung & SD are writeable. I'm assuming the chip is NAND, but i need a picture or part number to confirm 100%

Similar System-on-chip devices with boot selection (like samsung) have different bootloaders for SD and NAND. So far i've seen u-boot for SD in the thread, if you want to screw around with 370/nand you would need the u-boot dumped by someone with a nand. (i.e. hook up the rs232 ttl port, dump/dd the bootloader and rest of the filesystem(s) to the fat partition in nand, and copy it by USB to a pc)

Once that's done, you can recover/rewrite the 370/nand version as well. (And write a custom fw back by the usb tool.)

Last edited:

trustMe

Kuroko's Training Dummy
So based on the instructions for doing a firmware recovery on the rzx-50 I have been able to do the same with an empty internal sd card in my ngx.

The summary of how to do it is the following, and this only works on 32bit winxp or 32bit win7.
Hello,
How for 7 64 bits please ?

Thanks.

(And write a custom fw back by the usb tool.)

Well, I guess I'll wait until someone built a tool for it like "Connect to USB, start NGX-SuperFlash, press START, wait 10 mins - DONE!" :)

What about my question around the modded SD card? If I have one (which is currently N/A), is it then possible just to place toms on it and everything runs? It's a bit tricky to filter this information out of all the postings, sorry.

Steward

n00b
first of all, thanks some people share the good information.
NeoTurfMasta -> share the micro-sd's position on PCB
zouzzz(neogeo-x forum) -> share the original sd dump file
ack -> share sys_update_file_extract.c program

my neogeo-x handheld is 370 version, and now, i can use uboot from sdcard-0(not nand flash) just by using the dumped file got from old NGX version.
i hope that i can use Dingux on neogeo-x handheld and actual the neogeo-x runs Dingux(its UART shows this information)

uboot from sdcard-0 on my 370 version:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_boot_from_sdcard0.htm

via UART information, it runs Dingux(original system)
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_uart_boot_message.htm

can someone give me the partition table on the original micro-sd ? thanks :)

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
first of all, thanks some people share the good information.
NeoTurfMasta -> share the micro-sd's position on PCB
zouzzz(neogeo-x forum) -> share the original sd dump file
ack -> share sys_update_file_extract.c program

my neogeo-x handheld is 370 version, and now, i can use uboot from sdcard-0(not nand flash) just by using the dumped file got from old NGX version.
i hope that i can use Dingux on neogeo-x handheld and actual the neogeo-x runs Dingux(its UART shows this information)

uboot from sdcard-0 on my 370 version:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_boot_from_sdcard0.htm

via UART information, it runs Dingux(original system)
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_uart_boot_message.htm

can someone give me the partition table on the original micro-sd ? thanks :)

Code:
$ fdisk -l internalsd.img 

Disk internalsd.img: 1977 MB, 1977614336 bytes
1 heads, 63 sectors/track, 61309 cylinders, total 3862528 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
internalsd.img1           24576     1007615      491520   83  Linux
internalsd.img2         1007616     1273855      133120   83  Linux
internalsd.img3         1273856     1314815       20480   83  Linux
internalsd.img4         1314816     3411967     1048576    b  W95 FAT32

-ack

If Tommo is working on a way to allow saves for the games, it would most likely require a firmware update via usb or sd slot. How else could they do it?

perhaps firmware updates might/hopefully allow save games direct to the system i am sure there is space for them on the internal memory but another way it could be ahceived is by releasing a seperate save game card and then including a save game feature on future card game releases.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
But the built-in games or firmware would still need updated code in order to access an external SD card for saves. So in any case the firmware would still need to be updated.

Last edited:

daranus

Banned
Hey guys,

I registered just to say thank you to people like steward and ack for pushing the development. I think the ngx is a great piece of hardware and with your work the software side might get awesome as well.

Btw, did you notice that with 4:3 AR there is still unused screenspace at top and bottom? Is it because they use the native resolution and it would look bad if you stretch while keeping the right AR?..I would love to see how it would look and I bet if steward keeps going he can do it if he wants to :)

So again,a big THANK YOU to you guys. Keep it up! I will shut up now until I can contribute something useful.

Steward

n00b
again, thanks ack provide partition table information for me :)

now, my neogeo-x handheld(370 version) can run dual system:
the first system: neogeo official system(boot from nand flash)
the second system: dingux system(boot from sdcard-0)

for sdcard-0, please reference my blog in detail:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hardware_sdcard_0_uart_line.htm

new dingux system run on neogeo-x handheld as following picture:
neo_geo_x_hack_replace_as_dingux_system_4.jpg

i have updated to my blog for installation steps in detail:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_replace_as_dingux_system.htm

good luck :)

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hi

mods if this link is against the rules let me know and I can take it down.

I hex edited nxu.dge (fba emulator) that comes on the ngx to correct some of the crappy video issues.

You can grab a copy here

http://www.gotwalls.com/neogeox/nxu.dge.7z

To use it, decompress then copy it over the existing nxu.dge binary on the apps partition.

I have only tested this on the ngx lcd and hdmi ports. The changes only applies to actual game play, so expect the menu system to still look crappy

The following changes were made

LCD:
The default emu resolution is now 320x224, which means there will be black bars to fill out the rest of the screen. The black bars are on the sides and the bottom. Because of how the assembly was done its would have been a serious pita to center it top to bottom.
The alternate resolution is the previous 4:3 scaled version.

HDMI:
The resolution for emu is now 640x448, with some black bars on the sides and bottom.

I switched the scaling algorithm to be linear, it looks like it was bi-linear before. This gets rid of a lot of the blurriness, but not all of it.

-ack

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
again, thanks ack provide partition table information for me :)

now, my neogeo-x handheld(370 version) can run dual system:
the first system: neogeo official system(boot from nand flash)
the second system: dingux system(boot from sdcard-0)

for sdcard-0, please reference my blog in detail:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hardware_sdcard_0_uart_line.htm

new dingux system run on neogeo-x handheld as following picture:
neo_geo_x_hack_replace_as_dingux_system_4.jpg

i have updated to my blog for installation steps in detail:
http://home.educities.edu.tw/fushiyun2000/neo_geo_x_hack_replace_as_dingux_system.htm

although it can run dingux system, but for the emulator of both dingux a320 and a380 still have some problem as following picture:
neo_geo_x_hack_replace_as_dingux_system_5.jpg

good luck :)

Nice job. I am curious if when you are booted to the SD card, do you have access to the NAND flash?

-ack

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Hi

mods if this link is against the rules let me know and I can take it down.

I hex edited nxu.dge (fba emulator) that comes on the ngx to correct some of the crappy video issues.

You can grab a copy here

http://www.gotwalls.com/neogeox/nxu.dge.7z

To use it, decompress then copy it over the existing nxu.dge binary on the apps partition.

I have only tested this on the ngx lcd and hdmi ports. The changes only applies to actual game play, so expect the menu system to still look crappy

The following changes were made

LCD:
The default emu resolution is now 320x224, which means there will be black bars to fill out the rest of the screen. The black bars are on the sides and the bottom. Because of how the assembly was done its would have been a serious pita to center it top to bottom.
The alternate resolution is the previous 4:3 scaled version.

HDMI:
The resolution for emu is now 640x448, with some black bars on the sides and bottom.

I switched the scaling algorithm to be linear, it looks like it was bi-linear before. This gets rid of a lot of the blurriness, but not all of it.

-ack

Nice work.
Can you give us some results on how much, if any, this improves the video output quality on an HDTV via the HDMI out?

Would it be possible to have this display an output of 1920x1080 via the HDMI output?
I remember someone saying the video encoder on this particular board is capable of it.

This also leads me to the obvious...why wouldn't TOMMO select a higher resolution output?!
Are they purposely dumbing it down of do they not know how to do it?

Also, would it be possible to force a 4:3 ratio output instead of having the monitor handle it? My HD display doesn't have a way to switch the video ratio and instead relies
on the input to display it correctly.