NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
Guys, it looks like the Wiki software needs to be updated, or forum account links need to be turned off; I keep getting this error:

Your edit has been rejected because your client mangled the punctuation characters in the edit token. The edit has been rejected to prevent corruption of the page text. This sometimes happens when you are using a buggy web-based anonymous proxy service.

Some Google-fu tells me this is because of out of date Wiki software or an error in the way forum accounts are linked to the Wiki. I have tried multiple computers and browsers, and can't edit anything until this is fixed.

EDIT: I could also start a WordPress page or something if making the Wiki functional is too hard. Although with access to the .php files, I could (possibly) fix the Wiki myself...but would probably need full server access.

Last edited:

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
So I got an adapter and popped it open. The entire pin out assembly came out in one piece.

564856_4129485471294_398095205_n.jpg

I tried using an adapter like that. Notice the 4th pin from the left doesn't connect to one of the traces down below? It bridges over to another pin. I found that didn't work. When I cut that bridge and connected a wire to the 4th pin it made the case warp when put back together and the pins wouldn't make contact. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

NTM, did you run into anything like that when you used a Micro SD adaoter?

Last edited:

jalpert

n00b
First off, does anyone have a link to the Dingoo A380 conversion tool? Looks like Dingoo's site is offline.

I was able to work with that style adapter a bit. I used a dremel and was successful in cutting the traces to the two pins on either side.

Next I soldered really tiny wire, and on the 3rd wire I broke one of the pins.

So I got an adapter and popped it open. The entire pin out assembly came out in one piece.

564856_4129485471294_398095205_n.jpg

So using the Pin out instructions by FS-mas below i would need to wire the mini connectors to the appropriate pins that the NGX wants. Basically the last 2 pins on each side flipped.

ngx_adapter_zps4d838e82.jpg

Im just not quite sure what the best way to go about it would be. There is not a whole lot of room to work with.[/QUOTE]

Steward

n00b
current, my neo geo x handheld can play game in 16:9 and 4:3 and very good.
and after testing, it can support up to "64G" micro sdcard. :)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
NTM, did you run into anything like that when you used a Micro SD adaoter?

Thats why doing it this way is bad. I didn't open mine up all the way, I just cut where I knew the microSD pins were and soldered directly to the pins. Making an adapter with one of these is going to be a pain in the ass.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Back, lads.
I am full of sandovich and had a little saké, so I'm ready to start compiling posts. Granted, at 26 pages and 600+ posts there isn't a lot here, but it's better to start now than have to takle it after the thead gets monsterously huge.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
So based on the instructions for doing a firmware recovery on the rzx-50 I have been able to do the same with an empty internal sd card in my ngx.

The summary of how to do it is the following, and this only works on 32bit winxp or 32bit win7.

- download and decompress ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn:/3sw/JZ4770/01LinuxBsp/20110729/burn/usb_boot_burn-jz4770-20111025.rar
- open device manager in windows (makes it easier to see when the device is detected)
- with the ngx powered off, press and hold the start button and plug into your computer
- this will cause an unknown JZ4770 boot device to show up in device manager
- manually install the drivers that are from the rar
- unplug the ngx
- start USBbootTool.exe
- with the ngx powered off, press and hold the start button and plug into your computer

If you want to just do a full recovery, just pick your full internal sd image backup file for uboot.bin then click the checkbox to the left of uboot.bin. This should write it out to the internal sd card of the ngx, progress bar is at the bottom.

The USBbootTool.exe supports being able to write different files to different offsets within the internal sd card, these can be adjusted in tool_cfg/LinuxFileCfg.ini. The default one that you see when you start the tool is

Code:
[File1]
FileName=uboot.bin				
StartPage=0
NandOption=2

[File2]
FileName=uImage 				
StartPage=8192
NandOption=2

[File3]
FileName=filesystem
StartPage=24576
NandOption=2

The StartPage value * 512 represents where the file will be written to the internal sd card. So you can define your own offsets for where a specific file should be written, and not have to write out an entire image each time.

The full image replacement works with uboot.bin because its starting point is 0.

-ack

And so by modifying the files in the image, this allows everybody full filesystem modification without having to open it! Fully opened, wonderful.
Can the RX50 firmware be installed onto it through the same method? Installing the .tar for it's firmware didn't work for me thus far.

Mathius

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Looks like I will be sticking with my AES unless they improve this device somehow. I would really like to hear more opinions though.

xarcade

Quiz Detective
The NGX shouldn't be considered as a console replacement. It's a portable emulator device. And emulators aren't perfect but they are customizable and can do some things original hardware can't.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Goddamm you chatty bastards...
Halfway done: culled posts #1-318
I'm probably going to dump it in a new thread and crosslink it back to here. Stay tuned.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
And so by modifying the files in the image, this allows everybody full filesystem modification without having to open it! Fully opened, wonderful.
Can the RX50 firmware be installed onto it through the same method? Installing the .tar for it's firmware didn't work for me thus far.

You need to make an image that contains the ngx's uboot and kernel and the RZX-50's userspace (rootfs/appfs/cfgfs). That by itself should make it bootable, but you will want to make the following changes to the userspace first.

Edit all dmenu.ini files (2x on appfs, 1x on cfgfs) and change ipen_rus to ipen_eng. This will make the menus english.

edit /etc/inittab on rootfs and add the following line

Code:
::respawn:/bin/udc_monitor

Then create a /bin/udc_monitor file on the rootfs (make sure to chmod 755) with the following in it

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# translate between ngx's way of handling udc and rzx
while [ 1 ];do
  USB_STATE=`cat /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc.0/uh_cable`

if [ $USB_STATE == "usb" ]; then
    if [ ! -f /dev/udc_cable ]; then
     touch /dev/udc_cable
   fi
  else
    if [ -f /dev/udc_cable ]; then
      rm -f /dev/udc_cable;
    fi
  fi
  sleep 3
done

udc is the junk that has to do with the disk presented to windows when you plug in the device. Without it the device is 0 bytes.

There are still a number of issues that have to be worked out. The main one is the user interface is hiding files when it shouldn't.

-ack

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
On the original AES System there was a Game Save feature. Why is there not a Game Save feature on the NEOGEO X?
We are currently finalising a Game Save Card for the NEOGEO X. Please watch this website for further announcements.

Looks like Saves will be built into future releases?

How do I charge my NEOGEO X without using the docking system (for example while I am travelling)?
We suggest you charge the NEOGEO X using a USB cable via a power supply, directly from a power outlet. The output of the Power Supply should be 1.5A only. Use of any other power supply output will void the warranty.

Can I use my laptop (or other electronic device) to charge my NeoGeo X?
NO. Do not charge the NEOGEO X via USB cable using a Laptop or other electronic device. This will void the warranty.

Will you be creating a separate power supply unit for the NEOGEO X that I can use when I am travelling?
Yes. We are in the process of arranging this. Please check out the website for the latest update on this.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The hidden file issue is fixed but editing demu_lock.ini on the appsfs and changing the value to 1

-ack

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I wonder if, down the line, we could hook up CD/DVD drives to the dock and play Neo CD games? That would be boss. I have a USB powered drive and would love to be able to hook it up to the NGX dock. I know someone will probably put an emulator on there for ISOs, but I have a few games and wouldn't mind playing them on the system.

Is such a thing possible, or am I shooting too high?

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I have to admit, Minus the stupidass bullshit posts this has been a very educational thread. Hoping to see this thing hacked out soon enough to the point of any issues this thing has will get resolved.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I have to admit, Minus the stupidass bullshit posts this has been a very educational thread. Hoping to see this thing hacked out soon enough to the point of any issues this thing has will get resolved.

Yes... yes it has...

Just because i changed a few things... doesn't mean i'm not in favour of random paid holidays for people who persist in spamming this thread...

...Let the guys work here...

xROTx

Neslou

n00b
Hi everybody,
First of all, sorry if my english seems "strange" because I'm french ;-)
I have followed all the event regarding our new Neo-Geo X handheld and because I am waiting for mine, I just read a lot of Informations for the moment.
I was thinking of using later such a SD Converter in order not to damage original SD slot or Card of the NGX (making the change and solder on this adaptater instead of touching the console:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001
What do you think about this solution?
For the moment, I will continue to study the processor's manufacturer documents : Ingenic JZxxx as far as I already own some older equipement (P3Go and GameBox with JZ4755 processor).. I regret solding my Dingoo A320 :-( but I think, the scene is similar)
See You Soon.

Neslou

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
I still need someone to fix the Wiki in order to start compiling information. The problem is super easy to fix...someone with server access just needs to do it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Yes... yes it has...

Just because i changed a few things... doesn't mean i'm not in favour of random paid holidays for people who persist in spamming this thread...

...Let the guys work here...

xROTx

I've normally been pointed out to be a total asshole in the recent years on NG.com and truthfully most people are right. However being a mod at TNL I can feel your pain and appalud your patience because I sure as shit would have fired off some ban hammers already. lol

Anyways enough with the off topic posts.

I'm holding onto the belief that this system will get hacked easily thru software mods and it'll allow me to rip this shitty bios off and install a unibios system to where I can at least stomp magican lord a little better. I only can make it as far as stage 3 before I get my ass handed to me. Strangly enough, I can destroy Samurai Shodown II without ever losing a round.

P.S. I saw some people post the blood code but it's actually incorrect. The Blood code for SSII is pretty simple. Goto options, Select Japanese Language, Exit, Go back to Options, Select English Language, Exit, Done.

Last edited:
We actually thought about that too yesterday. Just swapping the pins on this thing. Would be much easier then soldering the SD pins of one adapter to the tiny MicroSD pins of another adapter.....damn those tiny microSD pins ;p

Hi everybody,
First of all, sorry if my english seems "strange" because I'm french ;-)
I have followed all the event regarding our new Neo-Geo X handheld and because I am waiting for mine, I just read a lot of Informations for the moment.
I was thinking of using later such a SD Converter in order not to damage original SD slot or Card of the NGX (making the change and solder on this adaptater instead of touching the console:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001
What do you think about this solution?
For the moment, I will continue to study the processor's manufacturer documents : Ingenic JZxxx as far as I already own some older equipement (P3Go and GameBox with JZ4755 processor).. I regret solding my Dingoo A320 :-( but I think, the scene is similar)
See You Soon.

Neslou

BloodShed

New Challenger

This was far more difficult than it should have been. I tore apart 3 of these adaptors trying different things. So, some suggestions for anyone else that wants to try it:

• The resin is heat resistant but cracks easily. Use a lower temperature on your soldering iron and make sure to use pliers to squeeze the resin at any points of stress if you attempt to bend any pins. This is especially true on the microSD side where that thin strip can crack and the pins fall out.
  • Cut out enough space in the center and make sure you cut the pins with significant length from the microSD card. The mistake I made was cutting the pins too close and they tend to slide out and they're too difficult to solder.
  • Tin all your solder points before you start soldering. Tin your wire as you go.

EDIT:
I used an X-Acto knife to cut the pins. It took some time by cutting using a sawing motion. The pins are otherwise too small to get any real cutting tools in there.

Also, I used this reference:
sd-card-pinout.png

Like NeoTurfMasta and ack said, you need to swap DAT1 with DAT2 and DAT0 with DAT3.

Last edited:

jslime

n00b
Awesome post BloodShed,
Can anyone tell me why you guys need to use a microSD card instead of ust a regular SD card?

This was far more difficult than it should have been. I tore apart 3 of these adaptors trying different things. So, some suggestions for anyone else that wants to try it:

• The resin is heat resistant but cracks easily. Use a lower temperature on your soldering iron and make sure to use pliers to squeeze the resin at any points of stress if you attempt to bend any pins. This is especially true on the microSD side where that thin strip can crack and the pins fall out.
  • Cut out enough space in the center and make sure you cut the pins with significant length from the microSD card. The mistake I made was cutting the pins too close and they tend to slide out and they're too difficult to solder.
  • Tin all your solder points before you start. Tin your wire as you go.