NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Finally, my account is approved! Long time Neo Geo fan/owner joining in on the Neo Geo X fun.

Why the fook is everyone saying that? I've been BUSY! and my other mod friend has been busy too... geez...

I have a question for the mods:
Would it be okay to post a dd image of the microSD card if I remove the ROMs? If not, is there anything else I can do to modify the image so that it's acceptable to post?

I have NO idea what you mean... i'm not a techie...

Come into chat and post me a link to the picture and we can decide....

xROTx

PS. Nice pics...

BloodShed

New Challenger
I guess Photobucket resizes images.

EDIT:
I linked the thumbnails in the original post to imageshack; which doesn't resize the pictures.

Last edited:

BloodShed

New Challenger
Why the fook is everyone saying that? I've been BUSY!
Because I've been reading this thread but unable to contribute for a long time. It's frustrating. Heh

Come into chat and post me a link to the picture and we can decide....
Actually, I meant "image" like a CD image. I was wondering if I could post the files from the Neo Geo X as long as the ROMs are removed. It would help expand the scope of contribution for those with a 370 (without microSD) or even without a Neo Geo X (yet?).

xarcade

Quiz Detective
What could those pads on the circuit board labelled BOOTSEL0, BOOTSEL1, BOOTSEL2 be used for? Maybe a way to configure system boot from the SD game card slot?

The next time I take mine apart I'll probe around with the bootsel pads and see if I can figure out if they are active high or low. The manual for the processor (as well as the first post) has some indication as to what they mean but it's yet to have been explained as to how they affect the boot sequence / device. I'll try and see if I can answer some of those questions.

Bloodshed, I would love to get my hands on your image. I'm waiting on my adapter so I can read mine still.

Ozfer

n00b
I have 2 usb to Ethernet adapters IDK if you guys want me to solder it in a special place but neither worked right when plugged into the base the link light was off.

Ozfer, I imagine the eth0 device will have to be enabled before it will become active.

Rot, is there any particular reason the Chat function says I am banned? This forum has got to be the most un-user friendly forum I've ever participated in. I'm guessing because I'm a new user I can not edit my own posts too??

I have 2 usb to Ethernet adapters IDK if you guys want me to solder it in a special place but neither worked right when plugged into the base the link light was off.

I don't suppose you would be able to get a dmesg log of what the system saw when you plugged it in? (See ack's previous post where he modified some scripts to get the log files output)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ozfer, I imagine the eth0 device will have to be enabled before it will become active.

Rot, is there any particular reason the Chat function says I am banned? This forum has got to be the most un-user friendly forum I've ever participated in. I'm guessing because I'm a new user I can not edit my own posts too??

Yes...

We had a small incident with some crazy fuckin whack job from New Zealand.... so we tightened up the controls... ALL n00bs must spend a period of time here and obtain enough posts and time to be able to use all the site functions...

.... I'll upgrade your account.... but be warned... i'll happily ban you as well if you're bad...

xROTx

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I don't suppose you would be able to get a dmesg log of what the system saw when you plugged it in? (See ack's previous post where he modified some scripts to get the log files output)

Just so you guys are aware, the stock kernel on the ngx doesn't have the tcp/ip stack compiled in.

-ack

BloodShed

New Challenger
I have the same error from chat: "You've been banned." Is it a chat client for an IRC channel? Is it possible to join without the flash app?

If anyone wants the image of the 2GB microSD card, send me an E-mail. I won't include the ROMs though.

My E-mail is my screenname at "console" dash "nation" dot "com".

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Rot is trying to perform quality control,

there's no quality here,

just

here

Ozfer

n00b

QFT same stuff happens to me.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Despite them claiming someone will contact me, no one has other than this response.

I wouldn't worry about them not getting back to you as of yet, it's a corporation remember. Hopefully they really are passing our comments on to someone who can actually act on it.

I've emailed them as well about adding memory card support, the video output issues and also asked about some branded carrying case(s) for the handheld and the entire system. I think having a padded case along the lines of the original Neo padded one would be pretty cool.

I got a response back that they are "working diligently to improve the user experience as well as bringing you guys more suprises on the way."

Spoonman had the right idea of letting Tommo know the issues we are having and what we would like to see resolved. The more info that gets uncovered about the system (like Timm's info about the screen resolution, refresh rate issue etc.) the more info we can give to Tommo to get it done right.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
For those with issues getting their account approved, be patient and understand why we require approval and restrictions. It may be "user unfriendly" to n00bs, but it keeps the riff raff and spammers out for the most part. We've been here for well over a decade, there's a reason for that.

Protip:

Sign up for ONE account. Multiple accounts looks spammy and we immediately delete those accounts. There is always a mod poking around and we check the queue frequently. If you do t get approved in 24 hours, send one of us an email.

We don't shun "new blood" but youre going to have to play by the same rules we all have. New handheld or not...

Last edited:

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Loadable module support and a compiler in there anywhere?

That kinda assumes they will give up the kernel source they used.

I have been able to compile and boot a kernel from Ingenic's source, but its missing some drivers that are in the stock ngx kernel. With it I can plug in a usb keyboard to the dock and monkey by looking at the LCD. I have a Linksys USB100TX that gets detected but for some reason its not passing any traffic. I have a different usbnet based chipset showing on monday, which will hopefully get me network access. Without networking its pretty annoying to do anything.

snk_desktop.bin segfaults when running under the kernel, I assume its looking for some driver (interface) and bombs when it doesn't have it. hdmi/composite aren't working, but I think thats just a matter of tweaking framebuffer settings.

The one weird thing that has me confused is the external sd slot. The ninjam sd card still gets decrypted and works, while normal SD cards dont show up. I haven't seen anything in the kernel to indicated it would be doing any decryption on the data, so I am not sure wtf.

-ack

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

I have been able to compile and boot a kernel from Ingenic's source, but its missing some drivers that are in the stock ngx kernel. With it I can plug in a usb keyboard to the dock and monkey by looking at the LCD. I have a Linksys USB100TX that gets detected but for some reason its not passing any traffic. I have a different usbnet based chipset showing on monday, which will hopefully get me network access. Without networking its pretty annoying to do anything.

snk_desktop.bin segfaults when running under the kernel, I assume its looking for some driver (interface) and bombs when it doesn't have it. hdmi/composite aren't working, but I think thats just a matter of tweaking framebuffer settings.

The one weird thing that has me confused is the external sd slot. The ninjam sd card still gets decrypted and works, while normal SD cards dont show up. I haven't seen anything in the kernel to indicated it would be doing any decryption on the data, so I am not sure wtf.

-ack

It's possible it's done on interface/drive decryption. Hardware based.

I doubt it, but it would explain it. Considering how cheaply they did this, there is probably some trivially secure method we haven't found yet.

I'll tinker some more on this end and see if I figure it out.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I too am starting to think its hardware based. Probably swapped data lines or something, no idea yet. I popped open the SD card to see whats inside.

SR0nO.jpg

The WP switch on the side is not connected to anything.

edit: photo cropped

Last edited:

-ack

Ack, thanks for the update. I'll be out of town a few days so I'm grabbing the ingenic source and their development guide now. I'll try and read through the dev guide for compiling with their tool chain and while we're driving.

I ordered a trendnet USB ethernet interface that specifically said it had good linux support, maybe I'll have better luck with it though I would expect the Linksys unit you have to be well supported too.