NeoGeo CD SD Loader

bwi

20 Year Member
Well the sound problem i had seems to have been fixed.

I always thought after 0.9 it went to 1.0 not 0.10 :)

Cowabunga

n00b
Well the sound problem i had seems to have been fixed.

I always thought after 0.9 it went to 1.0 not 0.10 :)
Tried this update, no change in the annoying popcorn sound. My current strategy is to souce a Neo CD power supply, replace that sucker and hope for the best.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
the only thing this update changed for me is Fat Fury 3 doesn't work anymore. Predicabo!

At least """soft dips""" get saved now but so few games honor the debug dipsw, why bother?

Tried this update, no change in the annoying popcorn sound. My current strategy is to souce a Neo CD power supply, replace that sucker and hope for the best.

You asked about sound problems a long time ago when I couldn't test it, but I can confirm you now I can play for hours without sound issues on all games I have. Including for eg. KOF '98. There's something very weird about how the loader handles things, it seems everyone has a different problem, for me it works perfect until the SD gets corrupted and I have to reinstall everything again.

retrojapan

n00b
I just managed to install the SD Loader on my NeoGeoCD. Successfully installed latest firmwareware. The menu comes up, I can play from CDs,
but it says "no card present' and no games in list so cannot play off card. Menu serial numbers are fine, and light codes indicate all is fine but cannot play anything. Files are bin, cue, SD card is 8GB and formatted for FAT32 (have also tried 128GB)
. Ive read lots of posts that the unit is picky an dinconsistent with cards.

Does anyone have any ideas or direction I could try?

Thanks

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you formatted your SD card with Windows, you might try reformatting it with another program. I've not had issues with the SD Loader but on some emu devices they are super picky. Furrtek recommends http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm. FAT32 is the correct format.

If that doesn't work I'd try another SD card. Preferably a good brand. I used a Verbatim 64 GB card, mostly because it was all black.

Also, STFU Lach, a SD loaded Neo CD is great.

retrojapan

n00b
If you formatted your SD card with Windows, you might try reformatting it with another program. I've not had issues with the SD Loader but on some emu devices they are super picky. Furrtek recommends http://ridgecrop.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm. FAT32 is the correct format.

If that doesn't work I'd try another SD card. Preferably a good brand. I used a Verbatim 64 GB card, mostly because it was all black.

Also, STFU Lach, a SD loaded Neo CD is great.
Thanks GohanX. I have tried the recommended program suggested on Furtek's site, but no go. The card I just bought today - a 32GB SanDISK Ultra - and I also used the wipe firmware to start fresh. The funny thing is, it can pick up the firmware and load it on initial boot, flash it, and take me to the NeoCD SD Loader menu, and perfomr all functions in seetings, and boot to normal menu, but it always says "no card present'. Sit it does not detect any card after sucessfully flashing the file. I find that bizarre. DO you think there may be something not connected properly on the loader board? I may open it tommorow to inspect

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
I would buy an aes or mvs with a neo sd or darksoft cartridge.
Doesn't the Neo SD have even longer load times? I heard 3+ minutes for some games :ROFLMAO: and the 'Pro' only has fast memory for a few games. I own both consoles now and personally think the 161-in-1 cart is a much better option for that instant arcade feel. The few games that are missing on the 161, I have on the CD.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Doesn't the Neo SD have even longer load times? I heard 3+ minutes for some games :ROFLMAO: and the 'Pro' only has fast memory for a few games. I own both consoles now and personally think the 161-in-1 cart is a much better option for that instant arcade feel. The few games that are missing on the 161, I have on the CD.
I don't own any of them chief so relax.

retrojapan

n00b
Quick update:

The micro SD card component was poorly put together and wasnt making a proper connection with the board. It was not the card. If i pushed the card in at a a certain angle it would pick up the card and all games - then let go and nothing. I didnt push hard and suddenly the componenet gave wayand snapped off the board on one end, ripping pads off too. Poor design or bad quality component used (but I feel Im one the few unllucky ones, most people dont describe this issue), and again, all cards new or old worked. SO now I have to research how to repair this broken connection.

Using the full SD card size connection furtekk adedd everything worked fine, but I prefer being able to keep the CD drive as is. Ridiculous but the root cause of the issue identified and no more hair pulling from the root. Hope it helps others that have no reason for this not to be working.

All the best!

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
The load times for the flash carts are really a non issue, even for the older Neo sd, since the games stay loaded in between boots. So after you’ve flashed KOF 2003 it boot like a normal cart with no loading until you change games—which granted could be problem if you have a short attention span. I think the Darksoft one still has tiny loads every time which kinda sucks.

The pick n mix feature though is super cool so that’s a big plus for 161-in-1. I assume it’s way cheaper than the flash carts too. The MVS version I have is missing a few important games tho

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
I need to get one of this for Xmas, my NGCD is getting dust

retrojapan

n00b
Quick update:

The micro SD card component was poorly put together and wasnt making a proper connection with the board. It was not the card. If i pushed the card in at a a certain angle it would pick up the card and all games - then let go and nothing. I didnt push hard and suddenly the componenet gave wayand snapped off the board on one end, ripping pads off too. Poor design or bad quality component used, and again, all cards new or old worked. SO now I have to research how to repair this broken connection.

Using the full SD card size connection furtekk adedd everything worked fine, but I prefer being able to keep the CD drive as is. Ridiculous but the root cause of the issue identified and no more hair pulling from the root. Hope it helps others that have no reason for this not to be working.

All the best!
Ok repaired the microSD slot component with some ultra fine micro-soldering. The discreet microSD card loader works fine but two new issues:

1. Putting in a CD works well, but the audio is just a screeching sound.
The efects from menus ok but as the game starts music is off (as is an audio CD from original menu).
2. If I close the case fully it powers on but no image and inidicator lights on loader flashing red or not at all (a short somewhere?)
Maybe I need to put in some foam around the loader chip like in revision E?

I will need to open up again to investigate but has anyone else had similar issues?
Cheers

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The only audio issue I had was when I first put mine together I had no system audio. CD audio worked, but no system generated audio. It turned out to be that one of the little wire harnesses came loose. You seem to be having the opposite problem, I'd check the CD audio wires/harness and make sure they are wired and connected properly.

Problems with the case fully close makes me think you either have a short, or somehow the pressure of everything together is knocking something out of place. My CMVS has a Neobiosmasta on it and is in a tight fitting case, and if I pressed in the wrong spot it would actually knock it slightly loose and it wouldn't work. I ended up putting foam over the CPU part so if anything pressed down on it it wouldn't matter. A Neo CD has a lot more room on the inside though, I wouldn't think that was it.

retrojapan

n00b
The only audio issue I had was when I first put mine together I had no system audio. CD audio worked, but no system generated audio. It turned out to be that one of the little wire harnesses came loose. You seem to be having the opposite problem, I'd check the CD audio wires/harness and make sure they are wired and connected properly.

Problems with the case fully close makes me think you either have a short, or somehow the pressure of everything together is knocking something out of place. My CMVS has a Neobiosmasta on it and is in a tight fitting case, and if I pressed in the wrong spot it would actually knock it slightly loose and it wouldn't work. I ended up putting foam over the CPU part so if anything pressed down on it it wouldn't matter. A Neo CD has a lot more room on the inside though, I wouldn't think that was it.
Thanks GohanX. I will investigate further based on your recommendations. Seems to be some pressure somewhere. My board didnt come with the foam pad so I may source one somewhere. Does it have any requirements such as being non-conductive? I guess I could use some from some old computer componenets. Will report back once issue identified. Thanks again

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just used some double sided foam tape I had laying around, cut into strips and stacked on top of each other until I had the appropriate height.

retrojapan

n00b
I just used some double sided foam tape I had laying around, cut into strips and stacked on top of each other until I had the appropriate height.
Using Kapton tape on board screwed in near CD-drive fixed the short. In addition added foam to keep the board pressed evenly. Working nicely now :) - well.. except for CD audio issue persisting. Its not so much a loud screeching sound now but a soft screech that needs to be turned up full to be heard, otherwise no CD audio (but I do have sound effects as mentioned).

Will open up again and reseat the socket on chip - I never really had the soft click, just sitting a little more on one side than the other. If reseating wont work I will replace with PLCC68 socket if not too complicated.

Hopefully get this working in full soon. Thanks all for guidance :)

Last edited:

retrojapan

n00b
Using Kapton tape on board screwed in near CD-drive fixed the short. In addition added foam to keep the board pressed evenly. Working nicely now :) - well.. except for CD audio issue persisting. Its not so much a loud screeching sound now but a soft screech that needs to be turned up full to be heard, otherwise no CD audio (but I do have sound effects as mentioned).

Will open up again and reseat the socket on chip - I never really had the soft click, just sitting a little more on one side than the other. If reseating wont work I will replace with PLCC68 socket if not too complicated.

Hopefully get this working in full soon. Thanks all for guidance.

Issue with screeching sound and no music FIXED!

It ended up being the 3-wire cable with white that was the culprit. For some reason it insisted on twisting and fooling me that it was orientated correclty while I tried to do the houdini insertion under the metal shield onto the SD loader (ps elevating the 3pin connector slightly and really carefully gave me a better fit instead of slipping out easily - in case it helps others). Once ensuring the white cable end of the CDDA board connected inserted on the end with the arrow, evertyhing worked as expected and am happily enveloped with Samurai spirits Background music now.

My final task at some point in time is to think about repalcing all the caps. Many looked bloated and there were seas of electrolytic fluid everywhere when initially opened.

For now, I will install one of those cool backgrounds and maybe look for a third party stick to preserve the original.
Good luck all with your mods!

Last edited:

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Hit an issue after upgrading my firmware and adding Xeno Crisis to my SD card. Sharing in case it helps someone out in the future.

Basically, I'd get "no files found". Going into and out of the options menu multiple times would fix it until the next power cycle. The real fix was to just remove some extra revisions of games and a few mahjong titles. I think there must be a timeout for initial enumeration of games off the SD cart, and if it doesn't finish in time, it shows no games instead of some games and/or an error code. I'm using a Micro Center branded 64 GB SD card.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Just finished installing mine - no installation issues aside from me being derpy and forgetting to rename the firmware file.

codetvirus

n00b
Hit an issue after upgrading my firmware and adding Xeno Crisis to my SD card. Sharing in case it helps someone out in the future.

Basically, I'd get "no files found". Going into and out of the options menu multiple times would fix it until the next power cycle. The real fix was to just remove some extra revisions of games and a few mahjong titles. I think there must be a timeout for initial enumeration of games off the SD cart, and if it doesn't finish in time, it shows no games instead of some games and/or an error code. I'm using a Micro Center branded 64 GB SD card.
Hi, did you solve this? I have 102 games and have this exactly problem. Thanks.