Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
niceandgames review of it.

If it's price was a little lower i'd buy one for collectors sake

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
With everyone saying how cool the stick feels but not so good the quality on the TV, its ashame you cant plug the stick into a port so could put it on a table and play,

The stick is not a total loss... you can use it on your PC and PS3.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I took one for the team. For now I'm not digging any deeper than this, but the battery is soldered directly to the board.

Photo%20Dec%2018%2C%209%2002%2053%20PM.jpg
I doubt it's soldered to the board. Systems like this usually use a double sided tape to stick it to the board.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I meant the leads, not the battery itself.

Oh, sorry. The thing is after looking at your pictures this thing really reminds me of a Dingoo. The Dingoo build is similar, but the video output on the Dingoo is mutch better.

slerch666

updyke,
I don't understand why people still goto gamestop. The customer service sucks. The employees suck. The games are more expensive. They are a collectors worst nightmare, they put price stickers on manuals and inserts. They sell used games as new and claim that it's just a open boxed game that was never played. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from these douchebags.

If you preorder, they don't do any of that. As far as costing more, they charge MSRP.

For me, I have a hookup and get free $25 gift cards every quarter or so. That's why I still shop there. Otherwise, I'd likely just buy from Amazon and say the hell with it.

slerch666

updyke,
It's too bad Tommo didn't put as much love into the video output as they did the packaging (on the system, not the game card). They really could have made this an all in one, lower cost solution for players wanting to play Neo-Geo on their HD displays.

I predicted this back when 480p was announced. We all know how SD content looks on HD, and it seems they also introduce other visual artifacts as well.
That being said I'm still keeping my system. It's a nice throwback to the good old days for me and the style and packaging are nearly worth it alone.

And again, if you want quality Neo-Geo emulation in 1080 HD (with scanlines, instruction manual, online co-op, save states, JPN/ENG switching, Jukebox music playing) look no further than Neo-Geo Station on the PS3.
They were selling them all for $5 a game and the 1080' 1:1 video scanline output on my 55" HDTV is, in a word, beautiful.

Here's some samples. The blurring is from my camera phone, not NGS.
I'm wondering if Playmore/SNK signed an agreement with Tommo not to release more NG Station games until a certain time. Sadly, It's been a very long time since they've released a new one.

If you want 1080p, with a Neo AES stick, there's also the option of MAME on a PC connected to your HD TV, which costs... nothing. Well, price of a cable maybe, and a NGX stick. Definitely cheaper than the NGX Gold.

Still, fuck it man, I love the system. It's such an odd ball, ridiculous thing for a company to do, and I love it.

slerch666

updyke,
I canceled my order with Gamestop long ago and re-ordered with Amazon, which I received, but the box is damaged and badly scuffed up.
It looks like Amazon slid mine across the warehouse floor. :(

If you really wanted to chance it, you could always bitch to Amazon and request a replacement...

The chance being you don't get a replacement because they don't have any.

slerch666

updyke,
to those that are not neo geo purists , is hdmi to tv really that bad?

I'm not a purist.

It's ugly, but playable. If you have an decent LCD TV, should be adequate. If you have a DLP like I do, from 6 years ago, it's pretty bad even upscaled through a Denon AVR-3311.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
That's what I was thinking too.

Actually, some of the games I never played are amazing, and I never even knew.

Agreed. I had picked it up for MVS awhile back simply because it was a decent deal. Plugged it in and wow, such atmosphere and good controls. Sleeper hit for sure.

slerch666

updyke,
Agreed. I had picked it up for MVS awhile back simply because it was a decent deal. Plugged it in and wow, such atmosphere and good controls. Sleeper hit for sure.
This is the amazing part.

The Neo has been around for 20+ years. Even though it is easy to get all TEH ROMZ, I still haven't and buy carts instead. Shit, if I had known NM's, League Bowling and Alpha Mission 2 were so damn good, I would have been seeking the MVS carts YEARS ago!

Makes me wonder what else I've missed out on.

FUUMA

Marked Wolf
I love the system. It's such an odd ball, ridiculous thing for a company to do, and I love it.

Exactly how I feel. BTW I got mine from Gamestop on the 18th. Employee looked at the screen and said it was "In Transit". He then said it could still be in the back because they got a bunch of stuff. He called out a number which I'm guessing was the shipping number on box and proceeded to the back. 3-4 mins later He came out holding the NGX, everyone looked at it with confusion as to what it was. I smiled like I was 13 again... So if you preordered and they said "In Transit" it could very well be back there, some just too lazy to check.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
This is the amazing part.

The Neo has been around for 20+ years. Even though it is easy to get all TEH ROMZ, I still haven't and buy carts instead. Shit, if I had known NM's, League Bowling and Alpha Mission 2 were so damn good, I would have been seeking the MVS carts YEARS ago!

Makes me wonder what else I've missed out on.

Football Frenzy is another one... provided you have someone to play against. My sister used to come over and we'd play that literally for hours non-stop, yelling, screaming, cussing at each other the whole time.
TBH the Neo had a lot of really shitty games, but there are some real gems out there. If they release more titles for the X, it might renew interest in it and I can see cart prices starting to climb.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To NGX owners who have logged serious hours on an original old style stick, how does the NGX version stack up?

It measures up very well!

The NGX stick is a bit lighter than the old style stick (which wasn't very heavy to begin with.) The plastic feels a little cheaper, but it's got a textured finish to it that I love. The stick feels almost exactly like the original, nice and clicky. The buttons feel a little better than any of my unmodded old style sticks, but it may just be because the pads in them are new. They still aren't as good as a microswitched button.

Overall, the feel is as close as a reproduction can get without going back in time to SNK's factories.

Demitri1983

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for all the info guys. Has any one tried to use a 3rd third party stick like a madcatz te or hori?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the info guys. Has any one tried to use a 3rd third party stick like a madcatz te or hori?

I haven't, but reportedly they don't work. They only thing that seems to work with it is the PS3 Neo stick. It's just a hunch, but I think the two sticks are the same internally. When you plug the NGX stick into a PC it even recognizes a bunch of buttons that the stick doesn't have.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
NTFS. I just pulled a copy off the unit just in case I need a backup...

Ah ok well that won't tell us anything then. It would be interesting if you were able to view the files under FAT32, but that's not the case. Thanks for checking.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I still havent taken mine out of the box. Maybe tomorrow. I think I'll rig a Raspberry Pi in the dock.